What's your personal land speed record?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cchurchi

Enlightened
I have been 165 MPH (GPS verified) in my car (still pulling but chickened out) and 180 MPH (speedo reading - probably closer to 170 due to speedometer error) on a motorcycle. Now that I am older and wiser, I try not to go over 140:naughty:

coontai

Newly Enlightened
150's in a car, but i wasn't driving. It is a lot faster than it sounds. Don't worry I've done much stupider things in my life:shakehead

z96Cobra

Enlightened
~120MPH in my '01 F150 Lightning, and in my '96 Mustang Cobra. This was on a county road and pretty stupid. I've been to too many wrecks as a FF/EMT (still a FF, but EMT expired due to change in hours at work and lack of time to keep my in-service up to date) and didn't want to risk my life or any of my passenger, who were yelling "faster!, faster!"... lol I traded my Lightning in on a 4x4 F350 with a diesel, so now I'd be lucky to get much over 100MPH even with my programmer!

Roger

jtr1962

Flashaholic
RAILROAD TRAIN: ~135 mph estimated by timing mile markers as a passenger in an Amtrak train about 25 years ago (3 Amfleet coaches pulled by an AEM-7 electric locomotive). This speed was achieved on the 38.4 mile run from Newark, NJ to Princeton Junction, NJ. The engineer ran about 10 over the 125 mph limit to make up some lost time.

SUBWAY: probably around 65 mph on the Queens Blvd express during the short time they were running at those speeds in the late 1970s.

CAR: 128 mph as a passenger in my brother's old Delta 88 maybe 20 years ago.

BICYCLE: 65 mph coming down a long hill with a tailwind roughly 15 years ago. Yes, it was a fluke hitting this kind of speed on a bike. Incidentally, the speed limit on the road was 30 mph so I was 35 over. :grin2:

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
158mph in my corvette. Boy that was stupid too. I so would have went to jail if i had gotten caught.

I miss my corvette :(

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Back in 1968 I took a wild ride in a '64 Vette. I was crammed into the luggage space behind the seats. Etched in my memory is the sight of the speedometer needle hitting 135. Fastest I've ever piloted a car is 105 in a shakey Rover 3500S late one night on an interstate.

Geoff

kingoftf

Newly Enlightened
190 mph on my Honda CBR XX 1100 4 years ago, it was really amazing.......

:bow:
cbr1100xx.gif

mchlwise

Enlightened
147 in my Mustang on the I-5 in central California at 2:00 a.m. when there wasn't much traffic. :rock:

Probably could have gone faster, but had to keep slowing down to pass semi trucks which put out a pretty good air displacement that can really mess with you when there's very little tire on the ground at that speed.

alaskawolf

Enlightened
z96Cobra said:
~120MPH in my '01 F150 Lightning, and in my '96 Mustang Cobra. This was on a county road and pretty stupid. I've been to too many wrecks as a FF/EMT (still a FF, but EMT expired due to change in hours at work and lack of time to keep my in-service up to date) and didn't want to risk my life or any of my passenger, who were yelling "faster!, faster!"... lol I traded my Lightning in on a 4x4 F350 with a diesel, so now I'd be lucky to get much over 100MPH even with my programmer!

Roger

my friend had a 00 and 02 Lightning and he was able to get in the 140mpg a few times with them, scary at those speeds in those trucks.

he eventually traded in and got a 06 F250 supercab 4x4 diesel :)

the fastest ive drving personally was 163mph in my friends modded 300zx TT

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
250-ish in my Vette at PIR.
Often up to 180 or so on the street in my Vette and on my ZX12R.

Even if I still had the desire, my wife would allow no such thing these days.

:buddies:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
200kph in a rented fiat on the Italian autostrada. We took a pic of the speedometer because we were so jazzed. What's that in MPH? We were going fast, but people were still passing us.

I go pretty fast on a snowboard, but how fast? The only people who pass me are usually HEAVIER than me.

Empath

Flashaholic
From the rules:

You agree, through your use of this BB, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly illegal or promotes illegal activity.

Just a reminder that the thread is at risk.

VWTim

Enlightened
I've done 135MPH in my Race Rabbit (tach/gearing verified) and it still had more to go, just not enough road visibility.
and an indicated 155MPH in a friends '98 GTI VR6

I've redlined top gear on my bike before, but that's only ~125-130MPH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts