Icy FEB 2007 here in the Midwest

bitslammer

Enlightened
Just came in from the back yard where I brought out my trusty 5 million CP spot to check on the neighbors house. A 4" diameter 20 foot limb just fell on their roof. Looks like no damage but it's going to get nasty here.

So far there have been numerous wreck and road closing from teh ice/snow combo, CVG lost its primary raday and is on backup radar for a while, 64,000 people in greater Cincinnati have no power (and it's dropping to 13*F tomorrow), it sounds like the 4th of July from the trees and limbs breaking, and a 9 yr old girl was kiled by a falling limb.

I'm always lookign forward to usign my lights but this is a bit too much. Tomorrows overnight low is goign to be 3*F and with no power a lot of people are goign to sufffer frozen pipes and damage to their homes.

Me I'm just hoping the neighbors tree hold. It's right between our houses and I'm hoping this gives him the incentive to cut it down. If a big piece of that thing goes either he or I will have a very large and unwanted skylight in our roof if it doesn't take out an entire corner of the house.

Oh well...while I don't feel like sleeping I guess I should because what's goign to happen will happen and there's not much I or anyone can do to change it now.:candle:

coppertrail

Enlightened
We're getting crushed with snow up here in Cleveland. Office is closed tomorrow. I heard Columbus got alot of ice earlier today.

Ice covered trees are indeed very dangerous. Good thing you're armed with some great lights.

Take care, stay warm, and be safe!

K A

Enlightened
We had an awful ice storm here in kansas a couple years ago. It was brutal! The power company knew it was going to be bad and was already calling in help from out of state during the day.

Hope everyone stays warm there.

Bikecop

Newly Enlightened
Hey, Bitslammer,

What part of Cinci are you in? I'm in Amberley! The ice brought down a large limb out of our magnolia tree about 3:30 today which dropped across the neighbors' driveway. Another part of the trunk split, and I "briar rigged" it with two nylon cargo straps.

While I was out in the freezing rain with a chainsaw, I saw and heard two transformers blow. Of course, our power went out til about 9:15.

It was kind of eerie hearing all of the ice coated trees groaning, and every once in a while the sound of another branch somewhere in the neighborhood cracking and hitting the ground. I just heard on the news that a 9 yr old girl in Miami Twp was killed this afternoon when an evergreen fell on her while she was walking her dog. Such a tragedy. Goes to show you that mother nature can be a real *****. I'm sure looking forward to spring.............