Arc AAA vs. Coast Lenser

Mike M

Newly Enlightened
Trying to chose between the 2. The leser I am talking about is the Mini Tac Torch, 7830 CP. I can get the coast for 10 bucks, it comes with 2 sets of batteries. I know the Arc is nice because it uses the readily available AAA cell. The only thing that is holding me back is the price. The Coast seems really bright and well made.

Anyone have experiences with both?
Anyone want to sell an AAA Arc?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few Coast LEDs and and ARC -AAA P . for $10 maybe as a spare you could get the Coast, but I have noticed reliability issues with several models. they look better then they work. I would MUCH rather spend $40-$50 for an ARC AAA-P.

Get the ARC AAA-P. You will have something very special! the quality is incredible. owning an ARC AAA-P is a pleasant experience. as soon as you hold it you'll know :goodjob:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

Arc all the way - Nothing can touch it on build quality and finish.
buttrock.gif

CFU

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would mention the peak matterhorn ultra hi po also. I love my ARC's (both gen 4's)I don't own one, and by every account the fenix is a very good reliable light, the peak is a good unit that is imho, made and machined better then the ARC or coast's. The ARC does seem very bright, i think because of the slight blueish tint. cut's better for some reason. can't go wrong with a peak or an ARC.VDG

linerlock

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the Fenix E0. At about $20 shipped, it's probably the best value in a quality keychain light right now. On fresh batteries, it's not quite as bright as the Arc or Coast. However, it has dead-flat regulation out to about 10 hours ON ALKALINES so it will still be going strong long after the other two have stopped producing usable light. This comparison is especially true against the Coast. Coin cell lights are notorious for very steep discharge curves. Most start out quite bright but dim very quickly.

The Fenix E1 is also worthy of consideration. It's brighter than the E0 and only about $4 more. Runtime on one aaa alkaline is about 2 hours (again with flat regulation).

As a matter of fact, these two Fenix lights are the only 1xaaa keychain lights that I'm aware of that can deliver true flat regulation on ordinary alkaline batteries.

Last edited:

Mike M

Newly Enlightened
Does the E1 have a key chain ring hole? This light would live on my key ring.

linerlock

Newly Enlightened
Mike M said:
Does the E1 have a key chain ring hole? This light would live on my key ring.

Both the E0 and E1 have openings at the rear that are suitable for attaching split-rings for keychain use. If I recall correctly, they both ship with small split-rings for this purpose. It's not a "lug type" attachment point like the ARC aaa uses but one with multiple openings arranged in a way that preserves a flat bottom so that the light can be used in "candle-mode" with the split-ring in place.

My E1 even arrived with a handy spring-loaded clasp accesory that makes it really easy to attach to a key-ring or zipper pull. Mine was a pre-order from the first batch that was released and I don't know that this spring-loaded clasp is normally included in the E1 package so YMMV.

Mike M

Newly Enlightened
Well I ended up getting a L0P Ce from the Fenix store. How long should it be before I see it?

Also picked up some energizer e2 AAA for the light.