2AA / 2CR123 torches side by side battery layout suggestion

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
When torches require 2 cells (or more), I would quite like to see the cells side by side, rather than in-line.

Makes for a smaller, easier to hold, non rolling torch, that wil easily fit in pocket.

I know there are some, be nice to see it as a standard.

(and these are ....?)

Tied in with this, when a torch only requires single cell voltage, why not have option of two (or more) cells in parallel, to double (etc) RT's.

Perhaps not with RCR123's

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forgot everything I ever learned about electronics, so what's the difference between paralell coupling and a serie when it comes to a flashlight? Will it be brighter? The current increases when you serie connect, and the voltage when you parallel connect? So would a light with the batteries side by side instead of in a line be brighter or not? Thinking about the fenix L1D and L2D for an example?

EDIT:Realized that you were only taking about the layout and not how they are connected.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lobo said:
Forgot everything I ever learned about electronics, so what's the difference between paralell coupling and a serie when it comes to a flashlight? Will it be brighter? The current increases when you serie connect, and the voltage when you parallel connect? So would a light with the batteries side by side instead of in a line be brighter or not? Thinking about the fenix L1D and L2D for an example?

EDIT:Realized that you were only taking about the layout and not how they are connected.

Other way round...

(It's Capacity not current)

For example, using two AA alkalines:

Series 1.5v 2Ah + 1.5v 2Ah= 3.0v 2Ah, higher voltage, same capacity.

Parallel 1.5v 2Ah & 1.5v 2Ah= 1.5v 4Ah, same voltage, higher capacity.

The torch obviously would be designed for either 1.5v, or 3v, in the above example.

By layout, or when connected, as above.

If connected, for 3.0v, probably cells inserted in different directions, as per cameras, with keyed connectors.

(Yes, I know alkaline are usually more than 2Ah)

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast