ArmyTek        

Thread: New Cree XR-C

Flashaholic

Default New Cree XR-C

Anyone else notice that Cree released a new LED?
    Same form factor as XR-E but not as bright and not as expensive...

Default Re: New Cree XR-C

Thanks for the info - just went to cree.com and I see it. 60 lumens at 350ma isn't bad at all and they say better color. I'll have to read more later but good to know the options continue to expand!
    There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Loos like the beam pattern has changed a little compared to the XR-E. It's a little wider and does not have quite as high a peak at the extremes.

According to the data sheet it looks like they changed the phosphor application method as well.

Here's an overlay:

Paul

Better Color for the expense of a few Lumens

Better Color for the expense of a few Lumens

Hmm Mayby good for keychain flashlights like the photon's at 200 mah should still be very bright but not so much runtime a hour or so I think or aaa cell lights? It would have good runtime on a cr123 battery or in a 2c/d mag it would likly run for a couple day's

XR-C 60 lumens at 350mA vs XR-E 80 lumens at 350mA.

Relatively that's quite a big difference, about %25 drop. Hardly just a few lumens...

Flashaholic*

Actually, I think that the XR-C and XR-E patterns are actually similar. Without any fanfare they have issued a new datasheet for the XR-E that has a distribution like the XR-C and also changes the half power angle from 75 to 90. I think this is a case of the datasheet catching up with the product reality rather than an actual product change. Quite awhile back, CPF member jtr1962 tested the half power angle of an XR-E and found it to be around 90. A difference between the lastest XR-E and new XR-C datasheets is in the spectral distribution. The XR-E blue peak is around 460nm and the XR-C around 440nm.
    There is also a new XR-E Bin and Label document which reflects the now 90 degree half power angle.

Quote Originally Posted by chimo
    Loos like the beam pattern has changed a little compared to the XR-E. It's a little wider and does not have quite as high a peak at the extremes.

According to the data sheet it looks like they changed the phosphor application method as well.

Here's an overlay:

Paul
    Last edited by Doug S; 02-14-2007 at 07:54 AM.

Thanks for the update Doug. I will have to snag the new sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S
    Actually, I think that the XR-C and XR-E patterns are actually similar. Without any fanfare they have issued a new datasheet for the XR-E that has a distribution like the XR-C and also changes the half power angle from 75 to 90. I think this is a case of the datasheet catching up with the product reality rather than an actual product change. Quite awhile back, CPF member jtr1962 tested the half power angle of an XR-E and found it to be around 90. A difference between the lastest XR-E and new XR-C datasheets is in the spectral distribution. The XR-E blue peak is around 460nm and the XR-C around 440nm.
    There is also a new XR-E Bin and Label document which reflects the now 90 degree half power angle.

From the new sheet: