• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired swappin dorcey superwatt to cree

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely it's possible. Now get to work. Make sure to include pictures and beamshots both before and after.

bl4kkat

Newly Enlightened
okay since i got nothing better to do im going to go and try out the swap. i just ordered 2 cree stars from a china manufacture and said wont be shipping out my order around 2/25 so i guess im going to have to wait till it shows up at my house :)

i just hope its as easy desoldering the sold star and soldering the new one in

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think yull have to modify the reflector too. The cree dome is a bit larger then the regular luxeon. Maybe sak one of the light gurus here. Good luck

bl4kkat

Newly Enlightened
YAY i got a call from my brother and said that out cree's came in today! once i get home im going to see if it'll fit in the Dorcey super watt!

Cusu: if the cree is bigger cant i just drill the reflector or do i have to get some special tools or something? hmmm... :barf:

700club

Newly Enlightened
I installed a Seoul P4 emitter last night in my Dorcy 1 Watt CR123. It is now a little bit brighter, a whole lot whiter, but the beam has rings. The back of the reflector needs to be sanded to correct that problem.

zapper

Enlightened
I had a similar idea. I used a Cree P4 instead. Piece of cake swapping out one for the other. The only thing I had to do additionally was sand the back of the reflector just a hair and leave out the plastic holder. Leaving off the holder allows the emitter to sit deaper in the reflector. It has a very bright spot with great throw and incredibly tons of spill as well. It is a bit cooler than I prefer but not obtrusive in any way. It's almost the same as the high in my L2D-CE when using an RCR123. It won't replace my P1D-CE for pocket carry but I will use it as my beater work light from now on. I can try to post pictures as well if anybody wants and it doesn't hijack this thread.

:buddies: :thumbsup:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a Cree from DealXtream in mine. Had a hard time getting the reflector right, and the beam is more ringy than it was. It is brighter, but I don't like the tint as much as the stock Dorcy was. The stock Dorcy had a great tint. The stock dorcy was a very good battery drainer [using depleted batteries], but the Cree modified one is an incredible battery drainer - lots of light from 'dead' cells. As zapper mentioned, leave out the black retainer or, what I did, heavily modify it so the star sits deeper.

zapper

Enlightened
Definitely hard to get the reflector right. I had a long dance with that but the payoff is nice. I can't say I have the same rings as I do with my L0D-CE, P1D-CE and L2D-CE. Maybe I didn't seat it deep enough in the reflector or it's just that good of a reflector. By the way, this should probably not be in the B/S/T section.