Stub-lite – Modded Maglite 3 x 3 Watts

magudaman

Newly Enlightened
So I'm guessing this has been done a million times but I modded my 3 cell D Maglite flashlight so it has 3 luxeon 3 watt leds. Behind the aluminum spreader plate I have a 700ma buck puck to control the regulation. When I finally complete this project I plan to use 3 D cell converters (3aa to 1D) to get a good voltage using alkaline batteries.

You can see my case is a little torn up but I designed everything in this case then went out and bough a new mag to house it in but shape of the head was somewhat different and didn't work.

My leds are screwed to the aluminum plate that is attached to the head but the lens and holders were not held by anything. Instead they are just pushed down with the head's lens cover and actually it works very well.

I hope 700ma will be enough!

In my beam shot comparison you can clearly see that this head is a lot brighter than even my 13 watt hid. I was sort of disappointed in my HID after this test.

This beam shot is from a while ago but is to show that my HID is not lame but 3 luxeons are just darn bright.

Let me know what you think and some other ideas for power sources. I would love to have this light powered off of just 4 123a cells and only having a length of 5 inches or so.

Last edited:

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Re: First Maglight Mod 3x 3watt

Nioce, wanted to do the same but keep the option of using alk D cells. That was untill i realised that an alk D cell wont realy like me trying to pull 2.2A (3x.75a)

Perhaps a 6C or D would be up to the task :)

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: First Maglight Mod 3x 3watt

Welcome to CPF!

Congrats on your first mod. It's gonna get a little brighter down the road.

magudaman

Newly Enlightened
So I finally made a body to house that nice head I put together above and finally assembled it in to a nice little flashlight. It is still the brightest light in my arsenal.

mainrk8.jpg

I used the D cell body but cut it down and JB weld the head to the body. I also decided to go ahead and use Li-ion batteries running at 14.8v with 600 ma capacity. They are protected so the light will shut down before damaging the cells.

brokenga2.jpg

Here is the light compared to the P6. They are very close in height but not in girth ;-0.

comparejs3.jpg