Clickie tail switch for Mini Mag LED?

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does that switch work on the MagLED OR just the Mini-Mag?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a review of the nite ize IQ switch somewhere. It reportedly has somw fatal flaw with it. Looks like a good idea on paper but their execution was poor.

Shreklight

Newly Enlightened
I think the regular nite ize would fit I mean the on/off style, not the IQ. I put led drop ins in my mini mags and the nite ize tail caps I got at wal mart and they both work fine.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The IQ switch will work in place of a Kroll, but the spring is too short for the MiniMagLED. Also there is something in the electronics that limits the current to the light. People have adapted it to the MiniMagLED and found it unsatifactory. I exchanged the Kroll in the 2AA tube of my Arc LSL for the IQ and found the light quite dim. It's possible the new version of the IQ has addressed this problem since it is being sold with the new 1 watt upgrade.

Geoff

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Yeah, you're right the Nite IQ switch is eating too much current ;) Or it's only a regulation to provide more run time ? I have the Nite Ize std clickie too and it works well, but I still dunno for a mini mag LEd :)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used the Terralux switch, though it is not made for the MiniMag LED. You have to stretch the spring a bit, but otherwise it works.

I've also used Kroll switches. You can replace the spring with the spring from the MiniMag LED, but the trickier part is to use something to form the contact from the bared aluminum portion of the barrel to the spring that is on the side of the threads on the Kroll switch (thin copper strip or aluminum foil will work.)

willrx said:
Is anyone making a clickie for the Mini Mag LED?

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Terralux on my MiniM@G 2AA and its great,
With the Led MiniM@G you need the stretch the spring to make contact,

frasera

Newly Enlightened
its been quite a while and no manufacturer is stepping up with an led switch:(

frasera

Newly Enlightened
btw whats the best place to buy a terralux switch in cali?

shipping on such a small cheap part might really be a deal killer at some stores. guess i have to resort to the stretch method:p

i recently converted a minimag to niteize 3led, it was 7.50 at frys and came with a tail cap. kinda chincy build but its so much more convenient that the hideous twist on thing:)

tinkerer

Newly Enlightened
I recently got a minimag 2aa led and found out my nite eze (not IQ) switch was too short to contact batteries. I machined a piece of scrap aluminium to make a short (about 1/4") dummy cell to act as a spacer. Works fine now.

BTW the loose button on the nite eze switch is just the plastic button covering the real switch. I took a dremel to the switch reducing the button exposure to prevent accidental activation when I broke thru the button and saw the blue plastic of the real switch. By carefully using epoxy to glue the remaining button to the blue switch part, all the wobble and looseness is taken out. It feels like a nice clicky now:grin2:

frasera

Newly Enlightened
yea the switch is loose, kind of absurd that flip the thing upside down the switch drops down to double its height, thats a massive amount of slack. they should have added a dab of glue inside to keep it attached to the real switch, bad design.

wonder if its accessable from the other end?

where do you get "scrap" aluminum? heh

i got a dremel but i don't got that

tinkerer

Newly Enlightened
frasera

You can get small (36") sections of aluminium rod stock at Home Depot. They come in various diameters. I'm a packrat by nature & neccessity so I pick up any metal pieces I see at junkyards or dumpsters for projects. My scrap pile probably weighs close to 1,000 lbs. I get alot of "cut offs" at metal suppliers. These are the pieces less than a foot and sold cheap.

You can probably find a piece at home depot thats close enough in diameter to a AA cell to use without turning on a lathe. just cut to size. allow some room to wrap with electrical tape on the sides.