Has anyone modified a Streamlight Key-Mate?

Hallorann

Newly Enlightened
I just got this little LED light as part of a package deal.

It's really small, and seems to be fairly well made.

It's not very bright. Streamlight says that it produces 10 lumens.

Has anyone modified this light in order to achieve better performance? Like maybe changing the emitter?? Or using a different battery type? (It currently requires the little flat disk battery type like you would use in a watch).

This light is so tiny. It would be great if it was brighter.

If this one cannot be modded, are there other lights that are this same tiny size that give better performance?

Thanks!

Hallorann

83Venture

Enlightened
I have a LAMBDA Keymate Mod. It's a 1 Watt using 1 N cell, runs about 30 min (45 on Energizers). Got it back in November 03. Very nice light.

I also have a TnC Custon, KC1 Key-Lux "N" Cell & an optional AAA body. Its a 1watt I got back in May 04. Don't have them with me at the moment but I beleive with the N cell it is smaller than the Keymate, and with the AAA battery about the same size. On either battery the head is smaller than the Keymate.

Both are bright and white. There are a lot of talented people around here that do excellent work.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did the easiest swap I could in my Keymates: swap the stock 5mm LED for a Nichia CS 5mm LED. The LED's not soldered in, so it's just a matter of pulling out the plastic holder that's press fitted, disconnecting the LED wires by unbending them, and putting in the new LED with the wires set up the same way. It's a good bit brighter than stock, tho not blazing by any definitions. The SMJLED and several other 5mm LEDs like 50k etc. ones would be brighter than the Nichia CS I used, but the Nichia seems to have the best lumen maintenance and is most robust to abuse (overdriving, etc.), so it works for me.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perfectionist said:
Would it be possible to put a Cree in a Key-Mate ?

You could, but the button cell batteries don't really supply enough current to drive the Cree properly. You'd need to make (machine) something to hold the Cree (or SSC P4 or Edixeon) and use a small driver or just run it DD, but either way you'd need a different battery...a small 3V lithium...maybe an N-cell.