Clarify the M1 please?

kbog

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at the review from Quickbeam here:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/lumapower_m1.htm#

I'm trying to get a handle on this light vs. my Inova T3. I bought the inova because it was a "throw monster" at the time. I like the light, but it seems like this M1 puts the Inova to shame in almost every aspect. Could someone with the M1 clarify these points:

Quickbeam lists the light as a spot-type light. My confusion lies in the fact that folks around here are saying that the D-mini is in fact better at throwing than the M1. Is this true? Does the orange peel refelector out throw the T3 as well? The numbers seem to indicate yes, but I would love some user opinions.

The M1 on LOW POWER beats out the T3 in throw and output? Then it crushes it on runtime too? It's almost too good to believe which is why I'm skeptical.

Would someone please comment? Should this be my next light?

Thanks folks. Love hanging around this forum.

cslinger

Enlightened
The Inova's you ref. are technically very old tech as far as this flashlight thing goes right now. The M1 uses a brand new type of emitter that is very efficient thus providing more light and better run times.

So yes it is very believeable.

Chao

Enlightened
My M1 use 2XCR123A in high output has identical lux reading as D-mini with RCR123A, low level output can out throw my T3, sorry , my M1 only has smooth reflactor.

lumama10mh.jpg
lumam110mlow.jpg
Dmini3.7V10m.jpg
T310m.jpg

Chao

kbog

Newly Enlightened
Unreal. The T3 looks like it is anemic against the others. Thanks for the pics. Seems like an M1 with 2 stage and both reflectors would be a very versitile piece.

i just can't get over the gains from the new emitter.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
M1 is an advanced light, no question, and very high quality of construction.

I like the INOVA's and hope they upgrade their stuff, but we now have the specs of the new - 2007 - offerings from INOVA and they still use the Luxeons (though now the K2's).

The T3 is supposed to be very rugged and tough, so that might be something to keep in mind, but in terms of output/runtime I think you have to go by the stats and the tests, and they point to a big advantage for the M1.

Also the INOVA's don't have two stages, which is I think an important advantage of the M1: you can get the high output for big throw, but also the low if you need light for an extended period of time.

there are reports (search on posts by MattK) that INOVA is thinking about how to go forward and even considering adding stages to its lights, but this is then for the future.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah... I'll definately be getting an M1 shortly. I used to have a couple T3s and X03s and I'm not sure how many lumens they actually put out, but it's less than 60 as a P60 lamp is definately brighter using the ceiling bounce test. My guess is about 50-ish. The M1 is easily twice as bright if not closer to three times as bright and the focus seems to be quite tight. Not quite as tight as a C/D Mag reflector, but pretty darn tight for such a small light.

And I haven't seen the orange peel reflector but I doubt it cuts throw down by half... Probably somewhere between 20% and 30% so ot would still out-throw a T3/X03.

Brighter... more throw... brighter spillbeam... longer runtime... Shorter dimensions... Two stages... Seems a definate upgrade from the T3/X03.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could maybe, pop open the inova t3 and change the luxeon to a seoul, but of course, the focus won't be correct, unless you modify the optic too.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the record, the Inova lights are notoriously hard to take apart. Many advanced modders with lots of spiffy tools have ruined Inova lights trying to get them apart, mostly to no avail.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i will agree to that,

people have open them successfully but some are unlucky and get a cracked optic, rendering the light useless.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wasnt there a thread about people who did the freezy thing with their inova t-series light? Don't remember if they we're succesfull though. :)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was never able to get a T3 or X03 apart using the freeze pop method. And while I'm sure one or two have been opened up, several threads have been started asking who has done it successfully and as far as I can recall, those threads ALWAYS end with no positive replies.

Having said that, I do know that one person got one open and cracked the optic. Which if you were planning on replacing the optic with a reflector, wouldn't be so bad. Still, with lights available like the M1 Hunter for example, that has pretty much more of everything compared to the T3, it starts to not make a whole lot of sense to put time/money/effort into modding a T3 into what the M1 already is.

Latest posts