Does Surefire Hold Some Kind Of Patent On Their Two Stage Tactical Tail Switch???

cslinger

Enlightened
The reason I ask is because this switch as used in the L2, L1, A2 etc. is just elegantly perfect and I wonder why nobody else has used something similar for two stage lights.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The question that should be asked... How enforcable are the patents. The switch in question is a basic single pole double throw switch with a resistor that gets shorted out. This basic design was used in the car radio of my wife's 1986 Camero.

The use of resistance to dim an led light by forcing it out of regulation was exploered here when the first ARC LS lights were introduced. There was a thread to that effect before the L1 came out. That was long before the 2005 date on the patent. I even came up with the same general design in 2003. See the thread on two staging a twisty ARC LS http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39298

The McGizmo two stage tailcaps are a similar design.

The L1 switch as implemented by Surefire is not what I would call perfect. My L1 tailcap failed due to metal fatigue in the contacts and had to be replaced. While quite usable, there have been a couple times that I have drained the battery by leaving it on low, thinking that I had turned it off.

Daniel