The Best Micro/KeyChain LED Light?

STYLE

Newly Enlightened
Now I'am still new to this and I just wanted to know what Micro/Key Chain LED light you guys thought was the best? By the way what do you guys think of the INOVA microlight? (I am really starting to like INOVA stuff)

carrot

Flashaholic
The Inova Microlight is nice, but the Photon Freedom is nicer. The Freedom has variable brightness, not just high and low (and med.?) along with strobe and SOS and a very easy to use single button interface. Also, I believe the Freedom is tougher.

cbdudley

Enlightened
The Inova is nice, but not at all water resistant. I'm not sure the Photon is completely waterproof, but it is definitely more so than the Photon.

The Photon comes with several neat mounting devices as well (hat clip, etc.)

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Streamlight Keymate fine. It looks like a mini-version of a full size light, which gives it a "cute" factor girls like. The LED is easy to change (possibly the easiest of any light in existance since it requires no soldering) so you can swap in a brighter one easily. The only con is that it runs on button cells, but if you don't mind buying those online, it's not bad at all.

I also like my Fenix E1...a tad bit (just a slight hair) brighter than my modded-Keymate running a Nichia CS. It uses a AAA which is nice and easy to find. It's quite a bit pricier tho and the beam is ringy, which isn't too bad, but is noticeable when in use around the house. Outdoors it's less noticeable.

geegee

Newly Enlightened
Here's yet another opinion, based on my own experience with both lights. I have carried a Photon and an Inova on my keychain for well over a year, so they've both been well tested for EDC purposes. There's one problem that has occurred for me, and it's come from my preferred light, the Inova.

I find the Inova easier to operate by touch than the Photon, which requires more manipulation. Press it once, it comes on nice and bright, press again, it comes on with a lower light level, then press the third time, it strobes. I own quite a few Inova's, vs. a couple of Photons, but unfortunately, it's the ease of turning on the Inova that causes a problem.

In the past year, as I've used the Inova more and more, that light has gotten broken in to the point that I frequently find it's been turned on accidentally. It's pretty obvious at night, but there have been quite a few times when I'll put my key chain down during the day, only to see the Inova mistakenly glowing brightly. It's never happened with the Photon. Obviously, we all have our keys situated differently, we have different grips, etc., so YMMV.

paulr

Flashaholic
I agree with Bigiron, can't beat the Photon II's simplicity. The Freedom is more of a techno gizmo. Yeah, it's better sealed than the II, but I've seen II's used under water in chlorinated swimming pools. Water gets in them and you just rinse them out with fresh water and dry them and you're back in business. If water gets in the Freedom you can probably kiss the microprocessor circuit goodbye.

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking for a Photon type light, the PrincetonTec Eclipse 2, if you're looking for a Mag Solitare form-factor, then the Fenix L0D CE.

paulr

Flashaholic
Raptor# said:
@Darrel:
Now thats a interresting question... is there some sort of secret cpf favourite keychain light that is out of production nowadays?
Hehheh, do the initials of Lex Luthor ring a bell?

PhantomZ

Enlightened
there are photon clones (they also come in different body colours) you can buy at a fraction of the cost of a real photon light and they can be just as bright or brighter then the real photon brand. i have photon clones on my other sets of keys but a real photon on my main keys just because its been there for years and its serving me well. i keep a red photon light clipped to the outside of my vest while i'm playing airsoft during the night games.

Illum

Flashaholic
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1260

photon II, possibly the brightest LED light I've ever seen and or used, projects throw comparable to my X5 while giving area spill through the translucent body.

sturdy construction [with screws], uses 2xcr2016 over the typical 2xcr1616 keychain lights [thats 60 more mah:grin2:] and has a constant on switch. Cheap, but not cheaply built, and whats better? Lighthound includes one when you buy some greater than $20

Last edited:

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
I love my CR2 Ion. Small enough to be on my keychain, great flood, bright on low (much brighter and whiter than the SL Keymate), and as usable as a much larger light on high.

paulr

Flashaholic
If we're moving up to metal lights you should also consider the Arc AAA, Peak Matterhorn, and Fenix L0D CE.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon is my choice. The lights are so small that I carry both the regular and covert Freedom models on my keychain. Placed back-to-back, it takes a simple squeeze between thumb and forefinger to activate twice the light.

The covert is also invaluable for use in dark restaurants, theaters and/or anywhere that glare could be a problem.