Fill in the blanks: Rexlight 2.0

cfromc

Enlightened
I've been comparing the Fenix L2D CE, Rexlight 2.0, Huntlight FT-01 Cree, and Jetbeam MKIIx and have come down to either of the first two for an EDC type/travel/emergency light. I eliminated the Huntlight because I want something that will run on AAs, the Jetbeam because the UI seems too complicated (although it looks cool if I wanted to spend some time memorizing it) plus those two are over $90 with shipping (including the AA extender on the MK). I've been reading as much as I can about the Rexlight, including the information on Kaidomain but I still can't find out what the max output is or the run-times. Does anyone have this info? And can anyone offer some general suggestions and/or comparisons regarding fit, finish and overall quality. I realize the Rexlight is just being released but I'm hoping someone has one in their hands.

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
From what I recall, Kaidomain said it is running at 80% of a P1D-CE which is 135 lumen (from what I recall), so it will be 108 lumen on high in its current state.
I may be wrong but it is what I remember.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i went with the jetbeam cuz it is the brightest on 14500s. and it has nat HA3... and the ui is good, because there are 4 stages... simple, and if you want more, just go to low, turn it off for 2 seconds, and turn it on, and you got 9 more stages... really cool imho... we'll see when i get it.

cfromc

Enlightened
The "normal" Jetbeam UI is fine although, I think I'd like a L-M-H UI better, I could live with the M-L-H but if I get into the advanced UI...whoa. What are the main advantages of the Jetbeam over the Fenix: textured reflector, crystal glass and fit/finish/quality? Also, I couldn't find run-times for the Jetbeam.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
cfromc said:
The "normal" Jetbeam UI is fine although, I think I'd like a L-M-H UI better, I could live with the M-L-H but if I get into the advanced UI...whoa. What are the main advantages of the Jetbeam over the Fenix: textured reflector, crystal glass and fit/finish/quality? Also, I couldn't find run-times for the Jetbeam.

main advantages:

*regulates with 14500- huge advantage imho.. it allows you to have low, medium, strobe, and 150 lumen high when you need it. with the fenix, you put a 14500 and you HAVE TO have 135 lumens, and it wont regulate.

*textured reflector-rids of rings, and creates a beautiful beam

*it is brighter than the l1d ce according to beamshots in review section

*gidt o-ring and tailcap- a little touch i guess

-ha3 nat- really tough.

-saphire lens- another little touch.. nice though

-quality- from what i'v gathered jetbeam's quality is top notch, but it comes with the pricetag.

all in all, the jetbeam is sorta like an hds, except at a fraction of the price.,, but unfortunately without the clip. when i get mine, i'll post a review.

-David

cfromc

Enlightened
I'll be using lithium AAs so I'm not concerned with the 14500s. The output of the L2D is rated at 135 lumens, so not that much of a difference to me. The sapphire and textured relfector would be nice but not sure if an 80% increase in price nicer. Is the quality that much better than Fenix, or just a little better? Doesn't it have PWM also? I'd still like to see the run-times before I commit to any light.

mchlwise

Enlightened
I'm kind of in the same position, between a L1DCE and a Rexlight.

I got a L1DCE for my wife and was really impressed with build quality, etc. Fenix seems to have really setpped it up a notch.

The Rexlight is an unknown commodity right now. It needs to be in a lot more hands and have a lot more real-world experience before I'll trust it. Although if it really come out at the $30 or so range, it could be a real bargain.

I was really looking forward to the JetBeam, and then was very dissapointed when it was announced because the U.I. is just too complicated and over-engineered.

Think I'ma just go with another L1DCE.

:popcorn:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the same position, I want to get one of the new cree AAs but not sure which yet. I'm leaning towards the Fenix L1D or L2D cause of the brilliant UI (would have even been better if it was like the LxS and LxTseries, just low and high). The Jetbeam is a bit too pricey for me and I really hate the UI which IMHO is horrible. Not sure about the Rexlight yet, I'm not sure how the UI works yet, but I'm not a fan of clicking through levels and remembering which level you had the last time, but if there is a good memoryfunction, then I might cope, and for 30usd it's a steal. But the biggest disapointment is that it's only 80% bright as the P1D ce on 14500. I really hope they fix that.

cfromc

Enlightened
wacomme said:
Where are you getting information about the Rexlight 2.0?

from kaidomain and the forums.

I agree with mchlwise and lobo. Really leaning towards the Fenix unless I hear more about the Rexlight.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of them are perfect for me unfortunately... the MkIIx is almost there, except for the "switches to advanced mode if turned off from low for more than 2 secs". I'm not sure if this was changed, but it was the initial spec. Emil never got back about how to switch back from Advanced mode either, but it seems people went ahead and bought it. Hope to see some reviews soon.

Fenix has the best interface (to me). Nothing confusing and won't 'switch to next mode if on for less than 5 secs (rexlight)' or 'switch to advanced if off from low for more than 2 secs'. Turning the head for basic and advanced is a great UI. But its HA black and their HA is quite scratch prone.

The Liteflux LF5 (currently vaporware), with stepless dimming might be better than the rest, but I think based on the old Litefluxes, it will be HA black.