100mw red infinity flashlight mod

Brlux

Enlightened
I recently received my laser kits from DR_Lava' s group buy and was looking for a good host to place one in. I had an old amber CMG infinity that looked just right. I had previously designed a replacement driver board for another Infinity so that I could drive a Luxeon at 1 watt off a single cell. I designed it using a LTC3490 boost converter chip and still had about enough parts to make another one. I did not have a 3.3uH inductor so I used a 10uH with a lower current rating which worked out because I did not want to drive it at the full 350ma. I followed the speck sheets recommendation for running a red luxeon but I used a regular silican diode instead of a shotke in series with the light emitting diode. I found that with the poor choice of inductor it provides about 170ma to the laser which is probably a good conservative amount that will still provide impressive results. I drilled out the flashlight head and Acrylic Silver epoxied the laser module casing in.

DSCF1581b.JPG

It is very small has easy focus adjustment and should have rather stable power output of about 100mw.

DSCF1589b.JPG

I am able to light blackened matches almost instantly with the lens focused.

DSCF1592b.JPG

DSCF1602b.JPG

DSCF1603b.JPG

I am going to really like this tiny burner and I will have lots of fun with it.

Last edited:

dr_lava

Enlightened
Impressive use of the switching upconverting power supply, and nice pics.
:goodjob:

liveforphysics

Enlightened
Outstanding Work!!! That is exactly the sort of end product I wish to have with the LD's I bought from Dr. Lava. My goal is to have the same package size, but to drive the diode at +400mA. It will have a bit of a duty cycle, but I rarely use any of my lasers for more than about 10seconds at a time, so I dont think it will be a bother.

Could you tell me the diameter of the beam your optics package can get the beam with minimal divergence? I am useing some optics that I belive places the diode too far away from the lens. When focused, I can drop the beam to a pinpoint, but when set to minimize divergence i get a beam ~8mm diameter. I wish I could find some optics to increase flux density in the beam while in a non-divergent position.

Awsome compact laser module!

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
Super design and workmanship !! I didn't use the rear shell either. Relied on the extra housing for heatsink.

Mike

Last edited: