My Arc AAA died

Status
Not open for further replies.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had mine on my keyring since 2003, and it's one of my most-used lights. I've never had a problem with it until last night. It "flashbulbed" when I twisted it on. I've tried changing the battery, cleaning the contacts, but nothing works. Anyone knows what might have gone wrong? The only abuse it's seen is some drops from waist height that've left a few small dings, and the battery used was a regular Energizer AAA alkaline cell. Will the current Arc flashlight company still honour the warranty on this light?

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, you don't hear of this too often. I'm no expert, but usually when something goes out with a flash it's done for. For your sake I hope not, but the LED may be done. I guess even the most reliable lights have to fail sometime. :(

greenLED

Flashaholic
Did you try a fresh battery? Maybe the one you have there is dented or something. Regardless, Arc will fix your light.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contact Arc, they will honour their lifetime repair/replacement warranty.
thumbsup.gif

[email protected]

CFU

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, I'll try out their warranty service as suggested. I did try changing the battery too, but no go. The problem probably lies with the electronics if it isn't the LED.

I still remember throwing my Arc LSH-P whilst lit on a carpeted floor so hard it bounced back up, just because I knew it was tough enough. My Arc AAA was from a time long gone by, back when the HD Luxeon I and the NX-05 optic were hot stuff in the LED arena, and Peter Gransee was a CPF regular. It was one of the models with the lengthwise inscriptions on the knurling, made during Arc's legal troubles with Mag Instruments that precipitated the company's eventual demise.

I remember being overjoyed when I received it, having won the HA tint lottery along with the added bonus of having a warm-tinted Nichia LED in a non-premium model. It lived a fruitful three years, travelling with me around the world to Malaysia, Thailand, Italy, France, Germany, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Belgium, the UK, and the Czech Republic. It found keyholes and lit the way to the bathroom at night countless times, and it did an excellent job of wearing out my keys. Here it is, used and rough around the edges, though never abused:

390622686_f5f1e3f641.jpg

Let's observe a quiet moment for the little guy :(

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
chamenos said:
Thanks guys, I'll try out their warranty service as suggested. I did try changing the battery too, but no go. The problem probably lies with the electronics if it isn't the LED.

I still remember throwing my Arc LSH-P whilst lit on a carpeted floor so hard it bounced back up, just because I knew it was tough enough. My Arc AAA was from a time long gone by, back when the HD Luxeon I and the NX-05 optic were hot stuff in the LED arena, and Peter Gransee was a CPF regular. It was one of the models with the lengthwise inscriptions on the knurling, made during Arc's legal troubles with Mag Instruments that precipitated the company's eventual demise.

I remember being overjoyed when I received it, having won the HA tint lottery along with the added bonus of having a warm-tinted Nichia LED in a non-premium model. It lived a fruitful three years, travelling with me around the world to Malaysia, Thailand, Italy, France, Germany, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Belgium, the UK, and the Czech Republic. It found keyholes and lit the way to the bathroom at night countless times, and it did an excellent job of wearing out my keys. Here it is, used and rough around the edges, though never abused:

390622686_f5f1e3f641.jpg

Let's observe a quiet moment for the little guy :(

arrivederci mio luminoso amico.... VDG

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a similiar problem with my ARC AAA-P. I contacted Peter at ARCand he got it fixed ASAP!
even though I have a Fenix L0P SE, I love my ARC AAA-P!!!:goodjob:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
what was the trouble with mag? Did mag think that any of their lights bore any resemblence at all to the Arc line?

paulr

Flashaholic
M*g thought that the Arc AAA looked too much like the M*g Solitaire because both were cylindrical shaped :mad: .

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just business tactics. Mag had the resources to sue a competitor out of business. Happens all the time whether the claim has merit or not.

Like the overzealous criminal prosecutors and LEO's say - "You can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride". Meaning you'll be bankrupted by the "ride" through the court system. Most of them could care less about innocence or guilt, as long as they get another win.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some judge somewhere had to side with the M*g instruments for this case to have gone anywhere right? The two lights are about as opposite as you can. The only similarity is that they use the same batteries. Soli has a window, plastic reflector, turns on when unscrewed, uses an incan bi pin weak bulb, and type 2 annodize and a removable tailcap with spring. ArcAAA has no window, turns on when tightened, uses an LED, is bright and useful, HAIII, no spring in tail, no removeable tail. That's so friggin dishonest and underhanded. I'm never buying another mag again. M*glite can suck my balls.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carbine, I wish you would tell us how you really feel.......

I don't know much about business law or patent law, but I do know you can sue or be sued by anybody, anytime, for anything. The lawyers can make it so circuituous that you're broke before it ever gets a "hearing".

I caught a MSNBC interview with the head of Mag (can't remember his name right now and don't care enough to google it). He was very open about his business tactics -- he would protect his business at all costs against any and all competitors, whether their products had merit or not. It was not so much about the quality of his product, it was all about keeping market share and defeating the "competition". Was kind of sad, but, really, that's the way big business works. It's all about the bottom line.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
At SHOT Show 2006, I spent about 30 minutes talking to the head sales guy there, back in the private little booth they usually reserve for signing contracts with distributors. This very topic came up, and, as my memory of his explanation goes, the "problem" similarity wasn't just the single-AAA power source, but also the appearance of the light, including the size, the shape, and the fact that the name of the light was engraved around the head of it. I'm pretty sure that the fact that the switch was controlled by twisting the head was also mentioned, even though (in my opinion), M*g does it backwards (loosening ::= ON).

If you'll notice, the heads of the new Arc-AAAs now have no engraving whatsoever, and they also have a modified shape (the angling-in at the business end).

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SF Titan is a tubular twisty...I wonder if M*g will take on a big company with just as many hot-*** lawyers as themselves...I doubt it.

And as for the BS about the engraving...well, it said Arc, not M*g

CFU

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lettering on the ARC was never on the head - it was on the body at the top of the tube adjacent to the head. The other claim was that mag had rights to the 1:1 head to body ratio.

IIRC, it never went to court; didn't have to. It was dropped a month or two before court date, but ARC had already been forced to pay out tens of thousands of dollars for legal fees. That's how they do it. They ruin more small businesses out of court than they do in court.

That attitude doesn't fly well with me and I vote with my wallet. I don't buy mag. I have no idea what their new LED lights are and I don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.