Fastest speed EVER attained by a human? Man made device?

goldenlight

Enlightened
Does anyone know what the fastest speed EVER attained by a human being is?

What about fastest speed attained by a man made device?

My educated guess for a human would be the speed of the several missions to the moon.

Escape velocity of the Earth's gravitational field is approx. 7 miles/second; or about 25,200 miles per hour.

But I don't know if they met, or exceeded that speed, or by how much.

Anyone know the real number?

Also: I seem to recall reading about one of the deep space probes that went into the outer reaches of the Solar System reaching some insane velocity. But I can't remember the name of the probe/mission; it was just a little filler piece in the newspaper some years ago; but I remember the statement that it was the fastest moving human made 'device'.

Does anyone know more about this 'device'?

TIA

fineday

Newly Enlightened
:D I think that is 300,000,000 M/s, just from your every flashlight.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
well right now I'm going about 67,000 mph around the sun..
I don't know how fast the sun is going around the galaxy..
or how fast the galaxy is going whereevr it's going..

Arkayne

Enlightened
All I know is that I've gone 58mph on a steep downhill on my roadbike last year. I just couldnt pedal any faster!

OCEANBEAMER

Newly Enlightened
Arkayne said:
All I know is that I've gone 58mph on a steep downhill on my roadbike last year. I just couldnt pedal any faster!
Well lets bump things up a notch,,,us airforce project excelsior,,put on a pressure suit,,ascend in a balloon to 102,800 ft ,now the atmosphere is so thin(and cold -97 f) that friction is reduced so you can achive a world record of 614 mph in free fall which lasts for 5 minutes untill its safe enough to deploy a shute...

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC without googleing it, the fastest man made object is the Voyager spacecraft sent a few decades ago to explore the outer worlds and exit the solar system.

AlexGT

swampgator

Enlightened
OCEANBEAMER said:
Well lets bump things up a notch,,,us airforce project excelsior,,put on a pressure suit,,ascend in a balloon to 102,800 ft ,now the atmosphere is so thin(and cold -97 f) that friction is reduced so you can achive a world record of 614 mph in free fall which lasts for 5 minutes untill its safe enough to deploy a shute...

I saw something on this a few years back. IIRC the fellow actually had to deploy a drogue chute to slow him enough to deploy a canopy. They said he lost a glove and had to shove his hand under his arm pit, leaving a sliver of skin exposed on his forearm. When he landed that sliver had frostbite.

goldenlight

Enlightened
AlexGT said:
IIRC without googleing it, the fastest man made object is the Voyager spacecraft sent a few decades ago to explore the outer worlds and exit the solar system.

AlexGT

I'm certain you are correct. I couldn't remember the name of the craft, Voyager.

Having that, I can try to get more info on it's current, or last reported, speed. Thanks!

Empath

Flashaholic
The last I remember, Voyager I is traveling at 39,000 MPH, and Voyager II is traveling at 35,000 MPH.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I have heard, a man did break the sound barrier with no aircraft.
He broke the sound barrier at 90,000 feet in just his space suit at that altitude after jumping from a balloon at 100,000 feet. :wow:
This was reportedly done in the 1960's.

paulr

Flashaholic
Space shuttle astronauts fly at around mach 25 but I think the Apollo astronauts may have come in even faster.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
a confirm ;)

http://www.spacetoday.org/SolSys/Voyagers20years.html

On Feb. 17, 1998, Voyager 1 was departing the Solar System at a speed of 39,000 miles per hour. At the same time, Voyager 2 was 5.1 billion miles from Earth and was departing the Solar System at a speed of 35,000 miles per hour.
Voyager 2 is heading in the opposite direction of Voyager I and traveling at a slightly slower speed.

couldn't help reading further:

(Low power. Voyager 1 was so far from Earth in 1998 that it took 9 hours 36 minutes for a radio signal traveling at the speed of light to reach Earth. Voyager's signal, produced by a 20 watt radio transmitter, is so faint that the amount of power reaching NASA's antennas is 20 billion times smaller than the power of a digital watch battery. ) wow.