Looking for Red, Green and Blue lights

Azza

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm looking for a set of flashlights that are available with a Red, Green and Blue LED, preferrably with a reasonable light output - say a 1W LED. Not one light with a selectable colour but 3 separate lights, each in a primary colour.

I work in the Audio Visual industry and want to use these to demonstrate tristimulous colour. ie How the Eye interprets colour.

I can find some pen lights but not any lights with a decent output.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some 3 Watt Colored LED drop in bulbs that fit Mag3D lights for $25 each. They also have some 1 Watt Colored LED drop in bulbs that fit MiniMags for $25 also. I think if you can afford the slightly more expensive host lights, you'll be happier with the 3 watt / Mag3D combo. Although I've never used the colored versions, I have used the white versions of both these bulbs. The Mag3D drop-ins are a lot brighter and focus better. The MiniMag drop-ins are OK if you want more of a flood light for up close work, say within about 10 feet or so.

thiswayup

Newly Enlightened
Azza said:
Hi,

I'm looking for a set of flashlights that are available with a Red, Green and Blue LED, preferrably with a reasonable light output - say a 1W LED. Not one light with a selectable colour but 3 separate lights, each in a primary colour.

I work in the Audio Visual industry and want to use these to demonstrate tristimulous colour. ie How the Eye interprets colour.

I can find some pen lights but not any lights with a decent output.

Inova X5. Check ebay.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can offer the Alu Raw in RED, Green & Blue. :thumbsup:

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought four Sam's Club Element lights for a total of about $50, and replaced the LEDs with Red, Green, Royal Blue and Amber Luxeon stars. (they were about $6 or $7 per piece from Luxeonstar.com).

This was a pretty easy mod, and the kids love them. I've used them for the same purpose you intend, too - its a good demonstration.

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
wasBlinded said:
This was a pretty easy mod, and the kids love them. I've used them for the same purpose you intend, too - its a good demonstration.

My kids love our Automotive Edition white-to-UV, because they say "let's turn the lights off and look for evidence" -- there are a number of interesting stains in the carpet from the previous owners :)

If you need lots of power, we have the three-, four-, and seven-xLamp flashlights and lanterns in blue and UV, and can make then in red, white, and green also.

Cheers,
Piers

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be a fairly simple emitter swap for most lights, I'm trying to think of a decent easily modified light, probably a mag LED would work.

fineday

Newly Enlightened
I think it's easier to get red, green and blue filters and put them in front of your white lights. If you have a Luxeon III or CREE XR-E, the final output will above 1W.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
fineday said:
I think it's easier to get red, green and blue filters and put them in front of your white lights. If you have a Luxeon III or CREE XR-E, the final output will above 1W.

Of course that is easier, but the light will not be as pure and maybe not quite as impressive when demonstrating tristimulous color as having monochromatic LEDs as a source. Using a white LED might with filters might actually work rather poorly, since white LED light is rather deficient in red wavelengths.

CancerLad

Newly Enlightened
I have the TerraLUX 1W TLE-5 dropins in red, blue, and green and UV.

I got them just because I thought they would be cool, and individually, they are very intensely colored lights.

But, when shown on the same area together, mine don't make a very white light. There are too many beam fragments in the individual beams and the best I get is a bright multicolored blob that looks like a special effect from the origonal StarTrek series.

This may work as a good demonstration if you used diffusers in all of the beams, but then you would loose some throw. For presentations in small conference rooms, or on a stage with a close screen you would probably do all right.

A cheaper way to go than the TerraLUX dropins would be the NiteIze dropins.
But I don't know anything about the beam qualities of those.

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
orb said:
I can offer the Alu Raw in RED, Green & Blue. :thumbsup:
I got a GREEN 2 stage RAW a year ago, after admiring the RAW since its
first, U-binned versions for quite a while.
My 2 stage GREEN RAW is a work of art.The bright is a BRILLIANT "wintergreen", the low is a beautiful soothing, wonderful "532 wave legnth"
I have heard here that the RED RAW is a 200? lumen "retna scorcher"!
With the new CREE version, I may have a case of the "Orbitis" again soon!