L1D CE... Turbo = High

mikalex

Newly Enlightened
When I cycle my new L1D CE from low - med - high I see a definite increase in brightness, but when I twist the head to jump up to Turbo I don't see any change in brightness at all.

I occasionally notice a slight flicker during the transition and when I twist back it goes to low mode, so I know that the circuit did actually switch but there does not seem to be any difference between High and Turbo.

Anyone else notice this?

I've waited so long for this light it's going to kill me to send it back!

eggoo

Newly Enlightened
Same with me. I don't notice the brightness differences between high and turbo. Yes, there is flickering when I switch from high to turbo mode.

mikalex

Newly Enlightened
I originally thought that it may be due to a weak battery but I put a new cell in and it's still the same.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turbo is probably best used when you want on/off direct access to high. It does suck the batt a bit faster so it must be brighter by a tad.

cdosrun

Enlightened
Mikalex,

If you read around some of the threads on the L1D and L2D, I think you will find this is quite normal. The difference between High and Turbo on the L1D is only 10 lumens in 90. The human eye does not respond linearly to the amount of light and it is, therefore, very difficult to detect such a change. You may notice more change with a NiMH rechargeable cell (if you aren't using one already) and then looking at something a long way away at night on high before flicking to turbo, it may be more noticeable then.

The L1D head is the same as the L2D and the difference is far more noticeable with the higher voltage cells behind it. You could see if the 3V 14500 cells from this thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/151901 come to fruition if you are after a brigher multi-level light.

Andrew

mikalex

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the answer. I guess there is a limit to what we can ask from the poor little Alkaline AA cell.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the L2D there's a clear difference between the High and Turbo modes. Also, I think that Turbo push the batteries harder than the L1T high mode (I get around 1.2 amp on Turbo). In this case NiMH is highly recommended for longer runtime but like some other said, it may help for more brightness since they can deliver more current than alkaline.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Turbo setting is much more noticeable with the L2D 80 Lumens High setting to 135 Lumens Turbo setting

L1D CE, I just keep it on high, I can't be bothered with the extra 10 Lumens on Turbo

PB92

Newly Enlightened
With fresh primaries I can notice the difference, but it is very little, you have to really watch for it. Anything less then fresh batteries I can't notice it. But the L1D CE did replace my P1D CE as my EDC based on the clicky tailcap only. Don't care for twisties at all.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
my L1D-CE, runtime about 15-20 mins, Ni-Hm rech. battery

Current draw on high: 1.25 Amps
Current draw on Turbo: 1.25 Amps

so much for different output

Would be greatly appreciated if every test would state the current draw from the batt.
Only way to really calculate possible runtime

TenPin

Newly Enlightened
I notice a small change on an energizer lithium. I think the difference is large enough to be 80 lumens on high and 90 on turbo. Given that your eyes perceive light intensity logarithmically 80 and 90 lumens will look the same. The turbo mode is not so useful as a brighter mode (unless you get a 2AA or 123 tube) but is useful to keep the light on high immediately when you turn it on.