ORB RAW for keychain EDC, or ???

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello light fiends,

I have been looking for an EDC keychain light, and have fallen for the new CREE version of the ORB RAW. Before I drop $100 +/- on this light, is there anything else out there that compares, with similar performance, size and price? I have a few AAA performers, but they are simply too long.

How many of you EDC an ORB on your keychain? How has the glass lens held up? (Scratches on the body are not a concern for me. They add character.)

I had briefly considered modding a used 3W ORB with an SSC P4, but did not have any luck finding one priced low enough to make it worth my while. By the time I added a $13 emitter and my time for the mod, it made more sense to buy the new CREE version.

Any personal experiences, or knowledgeable input would be appreciated.
(Yes, knowledgeable is spelled correctly... :) )
Thanks,

datiLED

Secur1

Enlightened
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=137487

I was trying to decide between the Draco Cree and the Orb Raw NS cree. In the end i went for the Draco because it's smaller thus more suitable to be on my keyring :)

Side by side both lights perform almost the same, with the Orb having a little tighter hotspot thus more throw due to the larger reflector. On the other hand with the Draco i can light up the whole side of a 2 story building from 20m away so i think that's more than adequate throw from a keychain light :p

Here is a pic i've taken of my Draco Cree next to a MINI Bic lighter for size comparison

Last edited:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Secur1,

That is a cool light. And small!

I'll take a good look at the specifications tonight, and see if it is something that I might have to stretch for. I like the run time vs. brightness of the ORB, so if it is comparable, that may be a deciding factor.

Thanks,

datiLED

Secur1

Enlightened
You will find lots of reviews on this little light, there r a few on the bottom of the first post from the the thread i posted.

I also had a very hard time getting myself to put down the money needed for this purchase but to me, it is the ultimate keychain light and a childhood dream come true :)

Modamag is also preparing some modification for it, check out the page 9 on the same thread.

=== Draco 2nd Revision Enhancements ===
1. Tritium slots will replace the round GID hole on the battery tube.
2. Increase the number of rotation between the battery tube and LE.
3. Improved thermal path.
4. Maybe Seoul P4 compatible.
5. O-ring standardization. Same oring for all the junction to save part number & my whooping cost.
6. Secret sauce #9

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
I also would like an ORB, but I've been thinking about doing this instead:

Ultrafire 3W 123 light from DX- $18
Seoul P4-$13
.5 or 1 ohm Resistor- $1
rechargeable 123 from AW- $10.5
nano charger from DX- $5

You could upgrade the LED, replace the circuit with a little resistor, and drive it with a rechargable battery, complete with charger for half price of the ORB.

r0b0r

Enlightened
Or even the CR2 3W from DX (I've got a Luxogen LR12 but that's died.... haven't heard back from waion so it's going to be modded eventually)

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
Actually---about that idea above---I was looking through lighthound.com, which says both the cr123 and the cr2 lights are too small to fit protected cells. I'm not really down with unprotected li-pos myself, so nevermind my earlier suggestion.

easilyled

Flashaholic
ROVER said:
Actually---about that idea above---I was looking through lighthound.com, which says both the cr123 and the cr2 lights are too small to fit protected cells. I'm not really down with unprotected li-pos myself, so nevermind my earlier suggestion.

I can fit AW's protected CR2s and CR123s in nearly all my small lights

Look for AW's li-ion thread in the dealer's section.

jlomein

Enlightened
Just bought an Orb NS today. Still kind of interested in the Draco, but it sounds like it's a lengthy order process? Have to wait 1-2 months for shipment?