Any chance Surefire will produce this light?

cfromc

Enlightened
I'm getting ready to buy an L2D CE or one of the other similar lights (Rexlight 2.0, JetBeam MKIIX, etc.) but before I do I was wondering if Surefire would ever product a light similar. And by similar, I mean, with 3-4 light levels, SOS, Strobe, Cree and (maybe) AA batteries. Or, would that type of light be too "trivial" to have a Surefire name. I know there are a couple of adjustable lights SF makes (U2) but I mean something with a click that changes the light to pre-set levels, small package, 2 batteries. Thoughts?.............

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think Surefire has any interest in making that kind of light. Compare the features of a consumer cellular phone that takes pictures and plays video games, with a military walkie talkie with no pictures or video games but is mostly designed to keep working through mud and explosions. The design goals are just totally different.

Illum

Flashaholic
I dont think Surefire would consider even the AA option....thats veering a bit off what they normally produce: 123A lights.

can you imagine surefire selling "maximum power AAs?":laughing:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn`t hold my breath...about the AA part...they make a lot of mulla off the sales of their 123 batts. But as far as the rest...sure they will jump on the Cree wagon at some point...and they already have multi level lights.

If they did make a 1 AA powered light and sold it for $100...I would be all over it...and a few others around these halls might want one to...but I doubt if they will.

Pick from the existing Cree stuff for now. Thats what I`m doing...should get my L1Dcr today...I hope anyway.

cfromc

Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
LOL, just LOL.

That's what I figured.

briteguy said:
If there are other mfgs making AA powered Cree, why do u want SF to make another?

Because I would buy it even at twice the price (maybe more). I would even buy it if it were 123s but I'd really prefer AAs just because I could get them anywhere in a pinch, and cheap too. If they had something with 123s I would just buy a boatload of them since my 3 current SFs all use them.

I know, just wishful thinking. I could do without the SOS/Strobe but I'd like to get a cree with more output and more runtime at least. Hope they come out soon.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Surefire builds tools for tactical engagements. Fenix builds quality pocket-rockets to go alongside someones pager. The SOS and strobe features are there for the sole purpose of having a longer list of features. Surefire Doesn't want that kind of setup. And I think Surefire enjoys their big profits on CR123s too much to go to AA... If they were truly interested in making the best PERFORMING flashlights, they would have switched to Li-Ion a long time ago.

Arcoholic

Enlightened
mdocod said:
Surefire builds tools for tactical engagements. Fenix builds quality pocket-rockets to go alongside someones pager. The SOS and strobe features are there for the sole purpose of having a longer list of features. Surefire Doesn't want that kind of setup. And I think Surefire enjoys their big profits on CR123s too much to go to AA... If they were truly interested in making the best PERFORMING flashlights, they would have switched to Li-Ion a long time ago.

I absolutely agree with you, but i do not believe that SF makes too much money ( if any) on 123`s. I still believe that 123`s are used for shelvelife and durability without surprises. And certainly for their powerdensity.

Andromeda

Newly Enlightened
briteguy said:
If there are other mfgs making AA powered Cree, why do u want SF to make another?
Off track. I luv your bare aluminum M3 showing there. Is it a clone or what?

paulr

Flashaholic
Arcoholic said:
I absolutely agree with you, but i do not believe that SF makes too much money ( if any) on 123`s. I still believe that 123`s are used for shelvelife and durability without surprises. And certainly for their powerdensity.
Lemme see, other vendors sell pretty much the same batteries at $1.00 retail, SF sells them for $1.75, buys in huge quantity (not retail), sells lights like the M6 that burn six 123's in 20 minutes and they're not making money on batteries? :laughing:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arcoholic said:

Well, there are lithium AAs (would prefer a light that was made for them and could use regular AAs in an emergency, finding 123 in not so metro areas can be next to impossible), and then there is the issue that has been brought up recently, lithiums going :poof:. IMHO it's been shown that there are better alt than 123s, and hasn't also Surefire decreased the size of their tubes to prevent use of rechargables recently? So I'm guessing that they are making money on their 123s after all.

BionicSniper

Newly Enlightened
Lithiums go boom if they are mismatched. If you are careful then you will be fine.

In my case i carry 24 batteys. So im good to go for days with the l2 on low

cfromc

Enlightened
If I get an AA light I would be using lithiums in it unless I'm in the middle of nowhere, then, if I can find any store, I can find alkalines. I'm not looking for a tactical light, I already have 3 of those. I'm looking for a light I can throw in my saddlebag, or my glovebox, or my belt and use in case of a breakdown or take in the woods when camping. These uses don't rise to the level of reliability needed for a tactical light but the light could potentially be used in an "emergency" situation so reliability is a factor.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not in million years. Just because Surefire does what they do better than anyone else, does not mean that they can anything better than anyone else. Why would they want to play Fenix at Fenix's own game. If you see a flashlight like that with Surefire on the the side you can be sure it's fake.:)

thiswayup

Newly Enlightened
paulr said:
I don't think Surefire has any interest in making that kind of light. Compare the features of a consumer cellular phone that takes pictures and plays video games, with a military walkie talkie with no pictures or video games but is mostly designed to keep working through mud and explosions. The design goals are just totally different.

There's nothing to say that an AA light has to be physically weaker than a 123 light, and an LED is intrinisically tougher than Surefire's mostly filament based range. The best chinese Cree lights are damn tough - HAIII, sapphire instead of glass, immersion rated.

God knows what makes you think that crap about cellphones is relevant btw - the feature set of most of the Chinese Crees is similar to the the Surefire U2, but the replacement of the dial with a button interface should make
them more robuss but less user friendly.

Illum

Flashaholic
Lobo said:
Well, there are lithium AAs (would prefer a light that was made for them and could use regular AAs in an emergency, finding 123 in not so metro areas can be next to impossible), and then there is the issue that has been brought up recently, lithiums going :poof:. IMHO it's been shown that there are better alt than 123s, and hasn't also Surefire decreased the size of their tubes to prevent use of rechargables recently? So I'm guessing that they are making money on their 123s after all.

Well, lithium AAs [energizer] has become quite popular with consumer ekectronics in recent time, and [provided the prices go down] they may be more economical than that of lithium primaries.
The issue of the lithium primaries going :poof: has been debated, causes yet unknown, what was agreed upon was a result of mismatched cells causing one to reverse charge the other during usage and second: internal design shorts and the absence of safety valves on the cells itself. By buying from trusted companies [not ebay] and testing individual cells with the ZTS pulse load tester [available at lighthound] one can ensure theres a minimal chance of mismatched cells.
As for the decrease in size of the battery tubes, I was not well aware of this, but lights such as the U2 have been known to be capable of being bored out for rechargeable uses, Im not sure about that now:ohgeez:

BionicSniper said:
Lithiums go boom if they are mismatched. If you are careful then you will be fine.

In my case i carry 24 batteys. So im good to go for days with the l2 on low

so far there hasnt been an official incident associated with LED lights under surefire, I suppose thats a good thing.:grin2: one thing to note, when your carrying spares, make sure you keep em dry.

cfromc said:
If I get an AA light I would be using lithiums in it unless I'm in the middle of nowhere, then, if I can find any store, I can find alkalines. I'm not looking for a tactical light, I already have 3 of those. I'm looking for a light I can throw in my saddlebag, or my glovebox, or my belt and use in case of a breakdown or take in the woods when camping. These uses don't rise to the level of reliability needed for a tactical light but the light could potentially be used in an "emergency" situation so reliability is a factor.

yes, another good point, other than cr123A lights, alkaline lights such as fenix L*T/P maybe an advantage when cr123as are in short supply

mdocod

Flashaholic
there is a thread going.... A guy couldn't get his PRIMARY cells out of his A2 because the tube was so tight.

It's VERY obvious to me, that Surefire is shrinking the tubes to reduce the use of li-ions, Wouldn't surprise me if they were going small enough on some of them to also prevent the use of SOME other brands (cheapos) of CR123. Obviously it's just speculation. Makes sense to me.

Good quality lithium-ion cells with protection circuits beat lithium primaries hands down for performance, reliability, and safety. ZTS testers aren't always accurate on CR123s. flash amps probably comes close- but at the risk of damaging the cell and creating a more dangerous situation anyways. The charge state of li-ion can be easily determined with a simple volt mater.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thought...I wonder if the are making the tubes so tight on purpose. No doubt with the cost of Lithium ion batts dropping...many might want to use them in single batt lights...but then it might also be that thier lights might be damaged by folks running 3.7 volts through them...and Surefire has a forever warrenty.
Might be a protective measure.