I have an itch! I want a SureFire!

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Ok when is SureFire coming out with theire new lights??!

I have a small collection of lights, but NO SureFire! For some reason I feel that I just MUST have one! And rather sooner than later.

Hadn´t it been for the intruduction of the new cree led, I would already been a owner of at least one SF!

And since they are going to realese some new lights with this new led, I dont want to run and buy a light to quickly.

I have a need that none of my current lights are filling, i want (need?) a light that can illuminate a roome more than just a bright spot and some spillbeam does. I´ve read that the L2 does that, how about the L4 and L1?

And what is the thougths about the new leds? Are the new L1 or outdoorsman light going to fulfill my needs?

And is the beam from the current L1 and outdoorsman lights any diffrent from the L4? Have seen some of the E1L and the beam on that looked very strange with no spillbeam at all...

I have seen a couple of beamshots from L4 and it seems like that one illuminate a room pritty well, but its really hard to know just looking on pictures.

Should I wait for the new lights, or are they not going to be alot better of fulfilling my need?

Its getting late here and that´s when the little "you-really-need-a-new-light" devil is appearing and comanding me to spend some more money...

And we all know how to silence him...if only for a while.... so....what should I do?:huh:

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
A2. End of discussion. And since it is an incan as well, the new LEDs wont impact it as much.

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
I agree with GT, if you want a surefire to love, the A2 is awesome. It doesn't exactly fit your criteria, but since you have an itch for a surefire, you should try one.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
hmm...many have recommended that light...

I now edc a Fenix L1D CE for try, going to carry my P1d ce with the kooter cr123 body and a SF Z61 tailcap.

I have LP M1 and d-mini, so I have the throw lights coverd so far. and now I really want a light that have alot of flood. And since mostly of my lights are chinese made, the next I´ll buy is going to be US made! and theres no other than SF for me then. I guess that the A2 is ok, but it dosent really cover my flood problem...

Im sure this is not going to be the last SF I buy! So for starters I would like a good flood beam. Question is which one...and led kinda stuck on my mind...

Last edited:

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
I'm with FlashSpyJ - I'm going to get a Cree Surefire (probably an E2L) even if it results in me only getting one flashlight all year.

I also need a Photon Freedom (I have come to hate the $1 clones) and I might also get a G2. . . and a few others. . . but I can live with myself if I only get the one SF LED light, because I'll be using it all the time and it will still be a reasonable flashlight five years from now.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
only question is, are one of the new SF cree led going to be enough satisfying to buy one of thoose, or should I get one of the "older" ones...

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I dont think I remember exactly the specs on the new SF lights... Think it probably would be best to wait untill the new ones arrive...but THE WAIT!:hairpull:

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Quick fix?
try a SureFire G2, only around $40 won't break the bank (well, aside from it's appetite for 123's)

Somthing that'll *satisfy* you for a long time?
the A2 Aviator, it's not getting all these reccomendations for nothing, it really *IS* a great light, it's not something that will *wow* you right off the bat, but it will satisfy your cravings for a high quality illumination tool, just give it a chance, use it for at least a couple weeks to a month before making your judgement, it's a light that needs time to appreciate, like a fine wine

worst case, if it doesn't impress you, you can always sell or trade it on B/S/T and probably get back what you paid for it, a lightly used/unused A2 will sell well on B/S/T

give it a try, you may like it

let me put it this way, ever since i bought my A2, i have purchased *ZERO* lights, the A2 cured my addiction (or at least put it into serious remission... ;) )

the A2 LED's are a nice floody beam, just right for house navigation, in fact, with dark-adapted eyes, the A2's white LED's are a little *too* bright, SureFire advertises the incan portion as a "50 lumen" light, but Integrating Sphere tests say it's actually around 75ish or so lumens

here's a comparison pic, the "50 Lumen" A2 is on the left, the 120 lumen P61 lamp (in a 6P) is on the right, yes the P61 has a larger hotspot, but notice how much *whiter* the A2's hotspot is, the regulation circuitry keeps it that bright and white for it's entire 45-50 minute runtime, it does not yellow as the batteries drain, like the P60/P61 will;
A2_P61.jpg

Last edited:

zx7dave

Enlightened
A basic 6P is pretty cheap and then you can get the beamshaper to take care of your need to "flood". Lighthound sells various LED upgrades including Cree P4 if you have to have a LED light.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
FlashSpyJ said:
I have a need that none of my current lights are filling, i want (need?) a light that can illuminate a roome more than just a bright spot and some spillbeam does. I´ve read that the L2 does that, how about the L4 and L1?

If that's your primary request, then maybe the older Luxeon V type Surefires (L4,L2,U2 etc)might fit your need better than the coming crees, since it's in the Luxeon V:s nature to be floody. Not sure about the Cree, but what I've seen so far, it seems to be incredible throw with a lot of spill.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
FlashSpyJ said:
The L4 is comparable to the L2 on high. It's good at illuminating large areas of a room.

Max Brightness

Enlightened
I have an L2 that I love for the flood and dual stage. If I'm remembering correctly, it runs a little brighter than the L4 but it doesn't have the same square regulation.

I use the L2 every night when I turn off the lights and walk to bed. I will also keep it on the night stand. I use the red or blue filter so as not to disturb anyone and it can really light a place up if needed.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an L4, among other SureFires. The L4 is a fantastic light, for sure! However, examine your use. If you use your light for more than 5 minutes at a time be aware that the light gets very warm. After 10-15 minutes you can't hold it with your bare hand.

The A2 is nice as well. My pick is the L1, modded or not. I prefer the floodier earlier-gen models, not the TIR models. If you get a TIR L1, be sure to get an F04 beamshaper.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

I own a pair of L1's (old style non-optics), an L2, and a Kroma. I've owned an Executive Defender and an A2 (Red LEDs) in the past but sold them. I'm planning on buying another A2 as soon as I can afford it.

All of them are great... although my current favorite (and EDC light) is the Kroma. Even after I buy another A2, I think the Kroma will continue to be the one I EDC and love the best - something about that light... they just got it right.

Now... for the PERFECT Surefire... if they came out with an all-LED CREE based A2, with 2 stages on the main (white) LED, and kept it the same size as the current A2. I'd sell all my other handheld lights to buy 4 or 5 of them.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
FlashSpyJ said:

And what is the thougths about the new leds? Are the new L1 or outdoorsman light going to fulfill my needs?

And is the beam from the current L1 and outdoorsman lights any diffrent from the L4? Have seen some of the E1L and the beam on that looked very strange with no spillbeam at all...

I have seen a couple of beam shots from L4 and it seems like that one illuminate a room pretty well, but its really hard to know just looking on pictures.
The L4 is the light to get if you want a pure flood light. From your post, it sounds like that's what you want. The L4 give beams out a powerful wall of light that is unlike any other light I have seen. It is also very compact, and it has flat regulation on either primary or rechargeable batteries. Unlike the L4, the LED Surefires that are designed for throw are made obsolete by the new generation of Surefires that use Cree LEDs.