Sales People

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many CPFers go into a shop, allow the salesperson to ramble on about their 'ultra bright multi LED light', and then pull out something like a Fenix P1D-CE and completely drown out the beam of the torch they're trying to sell?

Maybe I get far too bored shopping with the girlfriend, but that's what I do. It's even funnier when the torch in question is ALOT bigger than your EDC because it completely p***es on their fire, quite unexpectedly.

kromeke

Enlightened
Well, not quite the same, but on Christmas one year, I gave my father an Arc LS (first run, factory second). My brother, who was also there, was given a multi LED flashlight from his father-in-law. I think that the father-in-law was a little disappointed to see his larger flashlight present upstaged by the little Arc. And I think my brother was envious.

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
When I read something like this, I'm reminded of what my dad used to say. "Son, there's a lot more horse's a$$es in this world than there are horses......

Get a life and quit screwing around with people trying to make a living!

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently went into an Army surplus store to look at some lights, the salesman was so gung ho about trying to sell me the MAGLed 3 D Cell torch, he even rambled on about how bright, white the thing was. I told him I was not interested as I was only looking, he would not leave me alone so I pulled out my LedLenser Tactical Focus 3 AAA and said
check this out, It blew the MAGLed 3 D Cell torch away and its was much smaller, the salesman commented WoW what is this and I said good things come in small packages.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say that I have been getting some enjoyment recently. People see my keyring light and say "I've got one like that, my one's a Maglite." This said in a voice that implies I should be impressed. I always ask them to show me and they pull out their Solitaire ( usually with a half flat battery ) and we compare. I don't know if you have ever seen a half depleted Solitaire next to a Fenix L0D-CE running a Lithium cell but it's REALLY funny.

Last edited:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't play this game after my Q-3 was dogged by a multi-led job...

Ok...who am I kidding.. My new edc (A19 w/ cree) always comes out LOL

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is nothing wrong with an ignorant person, ignorance by definition is simply not to know something. So why would one gain enjoyment from someone elses lack of knowledge, or better yet rubbing in their lack of knowledge to them.

You used to be ignorant also, until someone or something helped you. Hopefully they did not do so in a condensending and demeaning manner.

Perhaps the next time you do not know something, someone will be nice to you and help you with kind information and not look down upon you. Perhaps, you will even recognize and understand the difference.

Mike Salt and others, these stories are classic flashaholic stories. LOVE 'EM! So what if those sales guys "are just tryin' to make a living?" I'm in sales, too, and if somebody shows me up, good for them! I can handle rejection, or I wouldn't have picked sales as a career.

I freakin' LOVE stories about guys pulling out powerful lights and blowing some overly confident sales dude away. That's AWESOME! :goodjob:

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
People desperate to sell me things I don't want aggravates me. . . clothes that don't fit or overpriced trashy flashlights.

Is it just me or is Radio Shack the worst place for having some teenager sneering at you because you don't want their overpriced bad lights?

I don't believe in the 'you have a right to make a living' line - because to make the argument work you gotta apply it to crack dealers, pimps, etc.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Guilty as charged, Your Honor. There's a shop nearby that had a Coast display. I hapenned to be carrying a modded minimag that day... the look on the salesperson: priceless! :D

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
Since some of you seem to think that sales people are just there for your entertainment, why not tell us where you work and so we can come over and screw with you while you're trying to earn a buck. Before you get your jolly's playing your little "mines brighter than yours" game you might consider that life is a crap shoot and you may end up in their shoes someday.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, this isn't going to add to your joy any, but these days, with little exception, retail sales people are far from entertaining. In fact, I find the shopping experience to generally be better with no assistance (not that you would normally expect 'assistance' from a sales associate these days unless they were working a commssioned position.)

lightcacher said:
Since some of you seem to think that sales people are just there for your entertainment,

cbdudley

Enlightened
Pax et Lux said:
Is it just me or is Radio Shack the worst place

You've got questions - we've got dumb looks!

I'm sorry, but sometimes I just want to buy a electronic part without getting pressured to buy a satellite TV system, a cell phone and batteries! I wouldn't buy batteries there anyway even if I needed them.

The last time I was in there, the component section was smaller than ever, and they seem to be featuring the same stuff that you can buy at Circuit City or Best Buy. They are discontinuing the very stuff that makes them unique.

Someone in their upper management just doesn't get it.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I think the Chinese coined a term called "to give someone face" or so. You get the meaning. IMHO it is a very important and almost forgotten concept.
bernie

greenLED

Flashaholic
lightcacher said:
Since some of you seem to think that sales people are just there for your entertainment, why not tell us where you work and so we can come over and screw with you while you're trying to earn a buck. Before you get your jolly's playing your little "mines brighter than yours" game you might consider that life is a crap shoot and you may end up in their shoes someday.
Just to clarify, lightcatcher, since I sense you might have gotten the wrong impression from my post:

I usually wander to the light displays and will use whatever light I have on me to compare beams, etc. Some times a salesperson approaches and we get to talk about lights. Sure, they're often amazed at how the small lights I carry are far brighter than whatever they have on display (which obviously gives me a warm and fuzzy), but to suggest that I make fun of people because of that is far removed from reality.

...and just for the record, I routinely pick up trash and unclog toilets in one of my jobs. More people should take on these positions; I believe it'd make for a more polite and caring society.

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
J

...and just for the record, I routinely pick up trash and unclog toilets in one of my jobs. More people should take on these positions; I believe it'd make for a more polite and caring society.

Point taken GreenLED, I totally agree. :rock:

SkinlessMonkey

Newly Enlightened
I work in sales. I don't mind when the customer knows more about something than I do as long as they don't gloat about it. I try to learn from the experience so I know more than the next guy that comes in.

firefly99

Enlightened
Lee1959 said:
There is nothing wrong with an ignorant person, ignorance by definition is simply not to know something. So why would one gain enjoyment from someone elses lack of knowledge, or better yet rubbing in their lack of knowledge to them.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with an ignorant person.
But a salesperson have no excuse for being ignorant about the very product they are trying sell. They have done their homework before making a sales pitch.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am guilty. I also have frequently impressed LEOs with my P1 Cree, and Wolf Eves M90 Rattlesnake! :rock: I have seen many partially melted lenses on LEO Streamlights.