Need brightest, most powerful flashlight for $300

Flaaaaaaash

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I'm kinda new to flashlights but I really need a bright powerful one (I meen really birhgt and powerful)!!!

For about $300, what is the best most birghtest and powerful f;ash light i could get?

Thanks, Niall

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm selling this one...
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=152704
It's bigger than other Mag based lights you'll find here.
I just sold an 11,000 lumen monster just a couple of weeks ago.
Search for Mag625, Mag623, Mag138. These are in 2D and 3D bodies. They won't run anywhere near as long, but they're easier to carry. Maybe you can find one someone is selling at the moment. They're direct drive, not regulated.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
"Bright and powerful" are terms that are thrown around a lot, however aren't as descriptive as we like - for example - you you want a "wall" of light - aka Flood, or do you want a thin beam of light - aka Throw?

A lot of the Maglite mods that people here (like cmacclel or fivemega) do are some of the brightest handheld lights you can get unless you go for spotlights, which are pretty bulky.

You have a LOT to choose from, and I don't envy your position if you only want to buy one! ;)

:) john

Welcome to CPF! :wave:

Flaaaaaaash

Newly Enlightened
I would actually like a "flood" light, and I dont care about bulkiness, as long as I could carry it with one hand that would be fine. I would need it to light up a 5 acre field of grass. What do you reccomend

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
For how long?
Mad Maxabeams Mag623 is about 140w and is seriously bright
My Mag625 is about 120w but has longer runtime.
But any light this big is either limited to about 8 minutes +/- 2 minutes by either heat or battery power.
My mag458 was 200w imagine how hot that sucker got.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Not necessarily THE BRIGHTest but Bright enough, could be the Acro HID X990. SUVLights.Com was the one selling these and made it available to CPF member at a discount for $300.00 w/two batteries.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

dig-it

Newly Enlightened
My Amondotech Illuminator HID is the closest thing I have to being what you need. Around the $140 mark I think.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was automatically thinking of incans. Yeah the HIDs are the way to go if you want a lot of light without heat problems. The HIDs are a bit "throwy". They really focus the light downrange. I'm sure the HID guys here can help out.
I wouldn't be upset at all if you bought my light though.:sssh:

02Scuba

Banned
Hi !

I have a 21 watt Darkbuster HID. This puts out around 1350 lumens and will throw it's beam well over 1000 feet. It's water proof down to 200 feet and turns the dark ocean waters into day. It was the first HID I purchased and I now own 10 of them. Prior to this I was trying to modify various Mag-lites but they just did not put out the light an HID did (obviously there are exceptions but not under $300 and which are water proof) and they are not water proof. Battery run time was the other advantage an HID has. The Darkbuster's li-ion batteries will run the light for about about 90 minutes on a single charge. By contrast, my Mag 85 will run about 40 minutes when the Ni-mi batteries are fully charged. Moreover Li-ions do not self discharge nearly as quickly as the Ni-mi batteries do. That mean you need to recharge the Ni-mi batteries about every 4 days if you want that 40 minutes of run time when you need it.

I have about 35 dives on the Darkbuster. It's in perfect shape comes with a wall and car charger in a nice hard carrying case. It has two different handles that you can chose from and a 3 light filters. I paid $399 for it new. It's yours for $300 delivered. Let me know at [email protected]

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was automatically thinking of incans. Yeah the HIDs are the way to go if you want a lot of light without heat problems. The HIDs are a bit "throwy". They really focus the light downrange. I'm sure the HID guys here can help out.
I wouldn't be upset at all if you bought my light though.
This isn't a bad problem to have though. It's trivial to throw a diffuser cap on a light with a concentrated beam, and have an instant flood light when you need it. I believe there are several HID lamps available with diffusers.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
JimmyM said:
For how long?
Mad Maxabeams Mag623 is about 140w and is seriously bright
My Mag625 is about 120w but has longer runtime.
But any light this big is either limited to about 8 minutes +/- 2 minutes by either heat or battery power.
My mag458 was 200w imagine how hot that sucker got.

Jimmy is right....these Mag 623's are 4100-4400 lumens, including the one he is selling. Mad Maxabeam makes one in a 2D size...but the limit of 6-8 minutes is important. I did a thread about his, and Mac's Torch here.

You have some great choices in HID spotlights that are pretty portable too. Check the pinned topic shootouts in the Spotlight section, like this one. The AmondoTech Illuminator is a good economical choice.