Osram LED hits 1000 Lumen+ - For the lumens maniacs out there !

Calina

Enlightened
The high-flux LED is equipped with six closely packed 1 mm² high-power chips. This high chip packing density leads to a high luminance.

http://www.flashlightnews.org/story629.shtml

The led is producing 75 lm/W from an operating current of 350 mA.

Would do for a nice flashlight if you can stand the heat
evilgrin07.gif
!!!!

Last edited:

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good.
Just might have to drop one into a Maglite mod if I can get the emitter to separate from the star and mount it onto a good heatsink. :naughty:

The brightest led magmods i have ever done have only been a bit over 600 lumens.
This could be the one that outdoes my 4x Luxeon5 mini-monster-quad mods. ;)

chris_m

Enlightened
The efficiency's surprisingly good too - almost as good as an XR-E. I presume that 1000lm will be at 1A, or in other words ~21W, which is pretty impressive. Assuming you can focus it, that really would make a HID beating single LED light, with decent dim levels too - ~500lm at 350mA or ~7W, which is better than a 3 LED XR-E light.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would be intrerresting to know :

- how many lumens @ 350mA 75lm/W
- how much current/power it needs to achieve 1000lm... in order to know what efficiency they hit @ 1000lm

mdocod

Flashaholic
good to see that everyone in the LED business is announcing improvements to be seen in 2007. Seems like Osram is more interested in pushing the highest possible output from a single, multi-chip emitter, while Cree/Seoul is pushing the highest efficiency for a single-chip emitter, while Lumileds is aiming to have the highest Current LEDs that maintain efficiency at high drive levels. Everyone has a an angle here... all roads lead to more lumens, all great news, if it pans out!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's in series, and 350ma running power and 75lm/watt that equals 13.3watts, which is manageable in a flashlight (think tri/quad mods). And that's ~20volts, so a shark sounds like a possibly driver. If it can be focused half decent, that would be a pretty nice torch!!

I wonder the cost? I wonder what die they are using?

Sable

Enlightened
I would be hugely bloody interested in a group buy of these things. I'm really serious.

Anyone?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Won't be available until summer they say. If they are 75lm/w at 1000 lumens, then that's great. They may be 350ma and 20v all wired in series (best for healthy-ness of the dies). I have a 3D mag that would be great with a bunch of eneloop AA's, a shark and one of these. A little overdrive anyone? :D

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would be intrerresting to know :

- how many lumens @ 350mA 75lm/W
- how much current/power it needs to achieve 1000lm... in order to know what efficiency they hit @ 1000lm

Without those two bits of info, this press release is almost utterly worthless.

They could be gettng 75 lumens per watt running all six dice in parallel , which would mean about 70mA through each one, and barely be running over a watt altogether (assuming forward voltage of 3.5 for each die) for a grand total of 80 lumens. Efficiency at 1000 lumens might well be only around under 40 lumens per watt, requiring over 25 watts of input power (over 4 watts for each one) and one hell of a heatsink. Some of my smaller flashlights are about the same size as my 25W soldering iron...

On the other hand, if they are running all six in series, 350mA would be 7.5 watts and 550 lumens. I could buy that an LED with those specs would be able to produce 1000 lumens at 60 lumens per watt, or 16.5 watts of input. Seems like if they pulled off something this good they would have probably said so, though.

It coudl also be 2 strings of 3 in series, 3 strings of 2 in series, or some new sort of LED dice that don't drop anywhere close to 3.5 volts each for that matter.

Last edited: