LOD-CE or MillerMods ARC?

chrome-addict

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know how the beam quality and throw compare between these two lights? I'm considering the MillerMod for it's reliability and simplicity, but just a little spooked by the cost ... may need a little coaxing:sssh:!

EsthetiX

Enlightened
I wish they made arc aaa's that were as bright as fenixes new ones :( after I finally bought an arc p I understood why people like them even though theyre not as bright. Quality bodys.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1841765&postcount=424

Advantages of L0D-CE:
Cost - you can buy 2 of these for the price of a MillerMods-XRE and still have money left over.
No mechanical parts to wear out other than the o-rings.
Available now. If youu order a MM today it may be the end of the year before MM gets around to building your light.
Strobe & SOS if you need help.

Advantages of MillerMods Arc AAA-XRE:
Simplicity of operation. Just twist for LOW, twist some more for HIGH.
Size - when I got my L0D-CE, I replaced the Arc AAA clone on my backup keychain split ring with my L0P-SE. I was surprised by how much more bulky the L0P-SE is.
Select your own levels. There is a choice of 25,50,75mA for LOW and 0.75,1,1.25,1.5W for HIGH. You can customise the runtime & brightness to your requirements. I suspect the L0D-CE levels are roughly equivalent to 75mA/25mA/0.75W so if your level choices for the MM are 75mA/0.75W it might not be worth paying double. Just remenber MM 1.5W is roughly double the brightness of the L0D-CE HIGH on standard batteries.
No PWM. Some members find the PWM flicker of the L0D-CE annoying.

Last edited:

EsthetiX

Enlightened
A couple more to add...

1. I don't think the L0P/D ce feels more bulky at all in comparison to arc p. If it is it's barely enough to even mention! :)

2. The arc p mod will make your arc no longer water proof.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think LEDninja pretty well summed things up. Probably the two biggest factors would be the price difference, and how soon do need (or want) it?

I just got my MillerMod ARC AAA yesterday, and it is stunningly nice. Just simple, small, and amazingly bright. I got the Cree P4 with .50 low and 1.25 high, and I think that is nice setup.

The low, at .50, might be a bit to bright for reading a menu in a dark restuarant, but is perfect for reading a book, and the high is quite bright enough for most other tasks.

It is NOT a throw monster, but rather an excellent closeup light, with a softer center spot and nice, bright side spill, while being a tad on the warm side of white. I wouldn't say it is a perfect beam, but I would say it is the most useful closeup light I have, and worth every penny.

One thing to consider, Eric does recommend using NiMh AAA cells if you are planning on using the higher settings.

I hope that helps some.