No really, what IS taking Arc so long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spordin

Enlightened
Um, I love my Arc-P. I love my Millermods 2-stage Arc-P even better. And I'm sure I'll love my Millermods Cree Arc-P even better than that. It's a great little light. The coolness factor is still there. The look. The feel. The quality. Just...really cool.

But I was just wondering something...

WHAT IN THE *&%^$%#@+*& IS TAKING SO %$#+_&*!@ LONG TO PUT OUT AN UPDATE?!!!

Are people showing up late for work? Bird flu? EMP strike? Dog ate the new plans? Does anyone have any info on when we might (finally) see a light from Arc??

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
2/15/07

Gransee said:
Just a quick update. Still here of course and spending all my work time on the LS R&D. Each week brings problems and solutions all a normal part of development.

A couple months ago I wrote a multi-page update but one of my friends saw the draft and recommended I not post it. He said it contained too much detail that competitors would benefit from. So you get unsubstantial whimpy updates.

Peter

Maybe you missed this.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your question is about the Arc-AAA udpate. The last update was rev4 in 2005 which increased the output, changed the bezel, rivet, etc.

I have posted in this forum before that I plan on updating the Arc-AAA design on a regular basis. Regular could mean every 3-4 years. I have also said that I won't do a major upgrade of the design until I finish the LS. That's going to be awhile. Check the LS thread for the latest news there.

Peter

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gransee said:
Your question is about the Arc-AAA udpate. The last update was rev4 in 2005 which increased the output, changed the bezel, rivet, etc.

I have posted in this forum before that I plan on updating the Arc-AAA design on a regular basis. Regular could mean every 3-4 years. I have also said that I won't do a major upgrade of the design until I finish the LS. That's going to be awhile. Check the LS thread for the latest news there.

Peter

Hey Peter, nice to see ya around :wave:. Give me a call sometime.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
270winchester said:
and so the wait for the Arc claim yet another victim's sanity...
evilgrin07.gif

lolsign.gif

CFU

paulr

Flashaholic
The only change to the Arc AAA that makes any sense is to swap the LED for one of a more neutral color, and even that's a subjective matter. I guess they could also be available with more LED colors (particularly red led) and maybe more finish colors (I remember the old CPF specials). Other types of changes like using a power led or different case materials would change the character of the light and it wouldn't be an Arc AAA any more, it would be a different light with some characteristics (like the battery type) in common. In particular, turning it into a computerized techno-toy like the Fenix L0D series would not be in the Arc AAA spirit at all.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
So long is completely subjective. The Arc AAA and LS design is relatively recent. I have given the AAA away as gifts to family who would not normally carry ANY type of light. The light works as intended. Small, lightweight,easy to carry, durable,bright for it's size, readily available battery, easy to use, and available when there would not normally be anything else there to use. There are other lights available for the perhaps non typical user. This includes flash-0-holics and white wall hunters who demand the latest and greatest designs. It's a practical light above all else.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad accidentally washed the AAA_P I gave him through the washer this week and also the heater. when the light came out unharmed both he and my mom were, um, impressed. He is also the kind of perso nwho would not carry anything bigger or more complex.

Spordin

Enlightened
Just so Peter knows, I was kidding with the *@#% language. The only reason I even care is because I like the light. Here's hoping that said upgrade comes soon!

Keep it simple, keep it reliable, keep it Arc!

X3!

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr said:
Other types of changes like using a power led or different case materials would change the character of the light and it wouldn't be an Arc AAA any more, it would be a different light with some characteristics (like the battery type) in common. In particular, turning it into a computerized techno-toy like the Fenix L0D series would not be in the Arc AAA spirit at all.

I agree with this last statement, however, I do think an LED change in this day and age would be very much in keeping with the Arc AAA character. Sure, keep it small, same build, just one level, etc, but the whole idea behind the light (and the rev 4 update) was to provide a super-durable keychain light that could produce the most usable lumens for close to mid distance tasks while still maintaining a quite good (5 hr) runtime on a common AAA battery. At this point, a "power led" could easily match or exceed the Nichia CS in there while providing the same or better runtime AND provide better tint/beam quality. The Cree already projects most of it's light forward without a reflector, similar to a 5mm LED. Ok- so it's too big...The Arc seems like the perfect candidate for the new miniature Cree XRC (geared toward .5 watt) LED.

Oh well, I'm just blowing smoke anyway since Peter is tied up with the new LS (or whatever it will be called) and by the time the Arc gets an upgrade, there will be even better LED options all around us.

BTW, despite owning an L0P SE and soon to recieve a L0D CE, my Arc is still the light on my keychain and my go-to "fumbling around in my dark apartment" light. Still looks almost like new:).

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
if it's not broken, why fix it????

I mean, Arc AAA is a great light, Manufacturer is able to sell it at that price... why would one want to change any thing in it....

Also, as Peter said, from Old AAA to New AAA(rev 4) there has been an very vast improvement... and I suppose it will take another 3-4 years to get another upgrade in LED (at least in 5 mm sector) considering that old and new are seperated by 80% brightness apart. and that rightly will be a perfect time to upgrade Arc AAA :) older LED's were like 40 - 50 lm/watt .. new ones are 80 - 90 lm/watt

as far as the upgrade with other 'Power' LED's is concerned, it will defy the principle of Arc AAA light, i.e. best compromise of Brightness & Runtime with a 5 mm Technology.

Let LED's 5 mm LED's evolve... evolve to lets say 160 - 180 lm/watt.... (which is again going to happen soon) and see if Arc AAA gets updated....

I feel that time Arc will be the First one to upgrade the LED :)

Spordin

Enlightened
No, it's gotta have a brighter LED in there with a better tint and maybe even a better runtime. It doesn't have to be super bright, just brighter. As it is, there's little incentive to purchase yet another Arc-P, even though I'm familiar with the build quality, since I already own a few and Fenix et al are starting to produce lights that blow the Arc away in brightness and tint, with quality that isn't vastly inferior. As for new buyers faced with all the new offerings, what incentive do they have to spend the same or more $ for a light that in many respects is now inferior? I'll cherish my Arcs, but as I've said elsewhere, the Cree Millermod will be my last Arc AAA purchase until there's a significant upgrade.

Spordin

Enlightened
I was thinking about this a little more. The only way I'd consider buying an Arc-P "upgrade" that put out about the same lumens as the current model(s) is if it used a newer, more efficient LED with better tint and a good increase in runtime.

Q: What kind of increase in runtime might be possible using one of the newer LEDs and keeping the output about like it is now? That might be of interest, sort of along the lines of the Infinity Ultra with it's long runtime.

Speaking of which, why not offer different heads with different output levels? Instead of buying another entire light, just purchase a different head/output. That would be interesting as well. ...Just blabbing here as we probably won't see any changes for a long while.

Greta

Flashaholic
Replies copied from HERE.

VJJ06-18-2007 08:41 PM
Re: No really, what IS taking Arc so long?

Same here.

Interchangable heads of varying runtimes & power would be sweet!

I bought & like the Arc-P because it was small enough to fit on a key chain without breaking, having a decent runtime to get through most of a shift or night continuously on 1 battery, but still be bright enough to be useful. There were already lights out there much brighter & whiter with significant shorter runtimes, or require bigger, or more expensive batteries (or more batteries). There are also dimmer lights out there that will run 11 or 12 hours on a single cell, or 70-100 hours on a low setting.

I'm not a flashaholic. I need decent lights a lot (at least daily) to do some of my work. I bought the ARC-P because it was a practical, economical, useful, & durable light... not because it was cool or particularly fancy. It gets the job done well.

I would not give up it's place on my key chain to something else with less runtime, or takes weird expensive batteries even if it was brighter.

If they can make it brighter or whiter without sacrificing efficiency or price, that would be cool.

To make a brighter power hog, perhaps an AA version would do, so it still would have the power to last most of a work shift or most of the night if it had to.

If Arc-P didn't exist, I'd probably have a practical, small Shorelite Vx1 or Vx2 on my key chain for the long run time. If it broke, they're cheap... I have a few of 'em.

I won't buy any light that doesn't take common inexpensive cells, & won't keep lit for most of a night or shift.

I bought the Arc-P for 2 co-workers for Christmas & they love them. They're still on their original cells!

From 1 - fully & freshly charged 900mah rechargeable, I get about 6 hours of bright usable light, a 7th hour of fair dimmer light, & an 8th hour of very dim light to get one through a dark room or staircase if I really had to.

As LEDs get brighter & more advanced, I see LED flashlight runtimes become shorter... in some cases as short or shorter than their incandescent ancestors, losing the advantage LEDs originally had over them. If I have to pack large batteries, extra ones, an extension cord or charger, it kinda defeats the advantages of an LED light.

paulr08-02-2007 01:16 AMRe: No really, what IS taking Arc so long?

Is the Nichia CS really anything like 90 lumens/watt? That's up there with the latest and best Crees and the CS is around 2 years old now. I thought it was more like 50/watt and the old (BS?) was maybe half that.

Now that the new LS is complete can we talk about this update again? And how about an Arc AA revival? For the AAA update I'd simply replace the led with a neutral colored one, and make incremental improvements to the electronics. For the AA, I'd use a Luxeon Rebel but keep it set at the old power level, 50-60 ma.

Status
Not open for further replies.