Advantage of finger hole over thumb stud?

ExZeRoEx

Enlightened
guntotin_fool said : "as to the snap open assisted opening feature, have you tried a finger hole knife. like a spyderco or benchmade? they are just as fast in use as an assisted opener, and fewer parts."

So I was wondering, what makes the finger hole so special?

paulr

Flashaholic
It's simpler, doesn't snag on things, and is easier to operate if the hole is big enough (it isn't always) since you're not applying as much torque around the blade's long axis when you push against it (because it's not sticking out the side of the blade like the stud).

That said, both methods work fine once you get used to them.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer a good thumb stud. Some finger holes are not big enough for me, and I don't have big fingers either, and finger holes also require that the blade stick out beyond the handle quite a bit. For thumb studs to be effective they have to stick out enough so your thumb can push on them, and a recess in the handle might be required too.

paulr

Flashaholic
Spyderco blades stick out way past the handle but I think that's partly a styling thing. If you look at the Benchmade AFCK with the finger hole, there's a cutout in the handle where the hole is.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's simply a choice of what works better for you and the way that you carry and use your knives. For some folks a thumb stud catches on the pocket or causes pain on their thumb. Also depends on how it works with the type of gloves you might wear, whether you work with wet hands, etc.

coontai

Newly Enlightened
I love the finger hole. Your thumbs rotates in it when ya open it and it feels great. Also, gloves like finger holes better than studs imho. Still, it is a personal issue which can vary from knife to knife...

cutlerylover

Banned
I like both the hole and a good thumbstud...I love to sue a thumbstud to flick my blade open, but soemtimes I like a slower opening smooth opening...Doesn't matter to me either way...

CLHC

Flashaholic
Like what the others said regarding a person's preference, while with others it doesn't matter. For me I can go with either the disc, stud, or hole. For around the house, I use my OTFs. . .

Enjoy!

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
It mostly personal preference. I lean towards the Spydie hole but this is because I was a die hard Spyderco fan for so long. Some manufacturers do a better job than others of incorporating the thumbstud or hole. I had a small Benchmade Pikka that was very difficult to open with the thumb hole. On the other hand the Boker Subcom series uses thumbstuds are allow the knife to open easily. This is especially true of the trance that uses a flipper as well.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like finger holes a lot, but can't say that they are better or worse than thumbstuds, think it depenps more of how the rest of the knife is built.

Regarding the Benchmade Pika, I hear a lot of people saying it's hard to open and even impossible with one-hand. I can agree on that it's harder to open than other thumb hole knives, since the hole is chamfered and a bit recessed. But I open it easily onehanded with just gripping the hole with my thumb and middlefinger, open the blade partially, then snap it open completely. Easy as cake. :) But my Spyderco Cara Cara is much easier and smoother to open with the thumb whole.

cutlerylover

Banned
vtunderground said:
I've had several blades crack at the thumbstud, so I'm sticking with fingerholes from now on.

WOW, really? I have never heard of that before? what kidn of knives were they? I mean could you tell me what brand? maybe what models? Just curious, thats the 1st time I ever heard of somethgin like that happening...

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
the assisted opening leek is the fastest opening knife i have come across although the benchmade mini-skirmish with the thumbhole is perhaps the smoothest opening knife i have come across. it really alll depends on the size of your hands and your preferences. :) YMMV

ken

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I like Spyderco knives with the thiumb-hole opener because unlike some thumb-stud openers, the hole won't raise blisters or peel skin off of your thumb.

Ironically, this was less of a problem a few years ago. Nowadays, properly made thumb-studs are less common than they used to be.

vtunderground

Enlightened
cutlerylover said:
WOW, really? I have never heard of that before? what kidn of knives were they? I mean could you tell me what brand? maybe what models? Just curious, thats the 1st time I ever heard of somethgin like that happening...

I've had a Kershaw Vapor and a Gerber (not sure of the model) crack at the thumb stud. The Gerber cracked within the first couple months of use, but the Kershaw took about a year.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The ones with the upper guards can be waved open, like an Emerson knife. If carried tip-up.

ghostrider

Enlightened
My first real knife was a Kershaw Whirlwind, and I've since owned two more as well as a Leek. Because of this, I was initially inclined toward the thumb stud. I even tried some thumbholes and thought the thumbstud just made more sense, as well as felt more natural.

Then I bought a Spyderco. I had tried them before and dismissed them for various reasons including the "hole". However, after just one week of using the Spyderhole I found myself liking it more than the stud and wondered to myself why I took so long to see the light.

That said, everyone is different, and one must figure out what will work best for himself. I've bought many knives in my quest to find the one that suites all my needs. In that experience I learned that what works for one person may not suite another person. I also learned that limiting myself to just one knife is just limiting myself, since "one" knife can't meet "all" my needs. Some will prefer the stud, and some will prefer the hole. There is no such thing as "The Best", but there may well be a knife opening mechanism that suites your specific needs better than other knife mechanisms.

I don't know about the "hole" being faster than AO. Personally, I no longer "flick" my knives as I consider it a bad habit for me to get into. If your looking for the fastest opening method then get the "wave". It is currently the fastest, and that is an absolute. This isn't a plug for Emerson Knives, or the wave. You asked about fast opening methods, and such a discussion would be lacking without mention of the wave. I will say that if you decide on the wave, that you please respect the intelectual property. The wave is an Emerson design/idea. There are companies who are shamelessly "ripping off" this IP, and they should be avoided.