Proper treatment for "stinger" type neck injury?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Muscle relaxant and heating pad? Any longterm problems, usually? Anyone on here ever had this before? I jammed my neck pretty hard earlier today and it's pretty stiff now. I'm going to see how it feels in the morning...if it gets worse, I'll go to the doc of course.

Before anyone asks, no...it didn't happen on a jump...:)

Thanks for any advice, as always...

JM-99

Last edited:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you mean "jammed" as might happen if you dove into a swimming hole and hit your head or a snow bank that turned out to be a rock, I suggest getting it checked, if you have insurance or live in a country where they take care of people.
That's a quick way to become a quadraplegic. (The guy who dove in the pool died, 18 months later, the guy who dove into the rock lived because of the advances made in that time frame - 1966 or so. Both had essentially identical injuries.)

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Mike...

In case anyone is interested, I did go to the doc Saturday...they did a c-spine series and while there was clearly some evidence of injury on the radiographs, I didn't have any symptoms necessitating further evaluation by CT scan or MRI.

It's still pretty stiff though...just no numbness or tingling, thankfully.

JM-99

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to the scans of your neck, which the tubes that control the rest of your body flows through, I find my nexk is one part that still bothers me for no reason.

I use a variety of things on it. One is a neck collar you may see someone wear from the hospital. THey are rather cheap at any medical supply. I do not believe they are legal to drive with. I also use pint sized frozen water bottles to stick behind my neck and roll it upwards to my hair line and down to between my shoulder blades. I also find anti inflimation medication helps with the pain and use of a fluffy, but firm thick pillow too.

Just recently I got a homedics neck massager thingie that has a vibrator in it. Works well at numbing the pain in my neck on the go and makes me look lazy vs invalid when I wear it at work.

As a side note, the few times Ive drunk a can of beer at the nascar races, I find it too helps to numb the pain in my neck.

PS, my bean exercise air bag seems to further help with releaving tension in the nexk and shoulder area. You will find your shoulders are connected to your neck too.

swampgator

Enlightened
JM,
Most soft tissue injuries can be treated with: Rest, Heat & Ice treatments, and NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) ie Ibuprofen. Physical Therapy isn't a bad idea, either. Also I've been using a topical analgesic cream. Look for a product called Traumeel. It's a homeopatic containing a substance called Arnica. Trust me it works.

Also I've had wonderful results with Tramadol (trade name: Ultram). It's a non-narcotic pain reliever. For me it gives the same pain relief as a 5.0 Lortab without the narcotic side effects. I've had tendonitis and muscle spasm and muscle strain following ankle surgery and the above methods are what has worked for me.

You shouldn't have any long term damage from a soft tissue injury. Just let it heal then PT the neck muscles to build up strength.

BTW been meaning to ask what unit crest is your avatar.