modded Inova T4 with ssc

needforspeed

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

Today I recieved my U bin P4 SSC leds form AW. Thanks AW.

Well I cracked open the head on my TIROS version Inova T4 and went to work.

The led was easilly accessable and mounted in an aluminum anodized heatsink.

The led had a small nylon washer over it to keep the optic at the correct position. Easily shaken right off

I desoldered both tabs and the led popped right out. Thermal paste only.

I now dropped in a small copper washer to raise the new SSC P4 USWOZ and discarded the plastic washer. Small amounts of thermal paste applied to washer, heatsink, and back of led.

A quick solder and all was done in under 30 mins start to finish.

Results you ask... well I have no pictures (sucky camera), and no electrical data (no DMM)

My T4 used to have a bluish beam that was less intense than my P1D-CE. Now it has a nice warm tint and is visibly bighter than my P1D-CE. And of course with the optic it still throws hugely and has minimal sidespill.

Next up is to reflectorize this thing.

It has been running beside me now for a half hour on a freshly charged battery with no perceivable loss of intensity. It heated up just as fast as it used to, but seems to be running cooler. It used to get very warm after a long run but it seems to be running cooler. (less warm).

For what it's worth.

Bill
Massachusetts

Last edited:

Bikecop

Newly Enlightened
Cool mod! a couple questions:
Was the LED on a star, or just a bare emitter?
How did you get the head off your light?

I have a T4 that I would like to mod as well. Let us know how the reflector works out.

needforspeed

Newly Enlightened
Bikecop,

Inside the the body of the T4 there is what appears to be a press fit heatsink. It is recessed and slotted and fits a bare emitter. No star here necessary. The new led was a good fit with no real fuss.

In order to take the head off of my light (not the bezel ring), I wrapped bothe halves seperately with blue painters tape to get a better grip. I then used brute strength to unscrew the head from the body, which had a good amount of red locktite.

Not exactly simple, but effective. Once open I cleaned the threads and treated them to some heatsink compound as well.

Bill
Massachusetts

Illum

Flashaholic
how many times did you have to go through the freezing process the get the bezel open?

or was freezing necessary for the T4?

Last edited:

needforspeed

Newly Enlightened
For the T4 the bezel stays in place and the whole head unscrews. No freezing necessary.

Bill
Massachusetts

InfidelCastro

Banned
I also want to mod my T4. I've heard the Cree lends itself well to optics, but I hear alot of good things about the SSC's as well.

I wonder what kind of drive current the LED is getting. I measured the pull off of the battery at around 1.2A the other day if I remember correctly.

I tried unscrewing the head just now, but no dice so far, not enough grip. Might have to get some of that painter's tape.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting mod. Would like to see some beam shots if you can get a camera. Keep us updated on the reflector. Cheers.