Light Regulation

tomcat017

Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

Quick question on light regulation. From reding everyone's posts, I finally understand what battery protection is about. What I'm a little confused about, is "regulated" light. I gather it has something to do with regulating a constant voltage to the light. Does this mean you can use a range of battery voltages?

I read on the PTS site that the some of the WE's LED modules have different run times when regulated as opposed to un-regulated. But if regulation is not a function of the lamp itself, what does the regulating? How can you tell if your light is regulated? Are there any down-sides? Sorry about all the questions--just having trouble figuring this one out from the other posts.... Thanks!

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regulation keeps the output constant. See some runtime graphs at www.flashlightreviews.com of both regulated and unregulated lights, it will make sense. A circuit performs the regulation, not the emitter.

Some regulated lights handle a range of voltages like the LxT Fenix heads or the KL1 SureFire head. Other regulated lights should only have their OEM-purposed cells.

tomcat017

Enlightened
Ah, thanks Valpo! So this circuit sits somewhere in the light between the emitter and the battery? I see. I guess the WE LED can be run on a variety of lights, some regulated and some not? Thanks again!