sacked

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im about to lose my job because i had to leave early one day there was no way of getting home i could have walked 5 mile at 10pm through a not so pleasent area i decided not to i informed my company of my intentions but according to them it was not good enough i had to inform one person only my manager who was not there at the time. in the past it was ok to inform anyone if you had to go early for what ever reason your thoughts please.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leave those uncaring so and so's behind and get another job.
I have done this over 28 times already in my lifetime with no plans to ever retire.

If you have talent and can get another job, that would not be a miss.

Good luck. :)

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks you are right but perhaps they are not playing the legal game.
3rd_shift said:
Leave those uncaring so and so's behind and get another job.
I have done this over 28 times already in my lifetime with no plans to ever retire.

If you have talent and can get another job, that would not be a miss.

Good luck. :)

BVH

Flashaholic
Might be good to stay at this job while looking for another. When you find something else, then give notice. Many hiring managers don't like to see periods of unemployment in a resume/job application.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
There are usually other factors at play when they pick a minor item as reason for dismissal. I don't know about your case, but what usually happens is there are other problems that don't warrant firing all by themselves. It could be attitude, job performance, attendance or even hygiene.

Many managers don't like having to confront people about personality or performance problems. It's just an unpleasant thing to do. So they put up with stuff till some little thing pushes them over the edge. I hate that aspect of beinga manager.

In this case, the manager may have figured that you could have called a cab. 5 miles is less than $10 in most areas. Going off shift early may have casued problems for others in the company. It may have cost the company money. It's hard to tell.

In many cases, you can talk to your manager, ask what areas need improvement and keep the job. That's assuming that you want to keep the job and are mature enough to handle the possible criticism.

Seems like rambling. I'll stop now.

Daniel

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
YES I AM A UNION MEMBER AND IC FORUM REP
gadget_lover said:
There are usually other factors at play when they pick a minor item as reason for dismissal. I don't know about your case, but what usually happens is there are other problems that don't warrant firing all by themselves. It could be attitude, job performance, attendance or even hygiene.

Many managers don't like having to confront people about personality or performance problems. It's just an unpleasant thing to do. So they put up with stuff till some little thing pushes them over the edge. I hate that aspect of beinga manager.

In this case, the manager may have figured that you could have called a cab. 5 miles is less than $10 in most areas. Going off shift early may have casued problems for others in the company. It may have cost the company money. It's hard to tell.

In many cases, you can talk to your manager, ask what areas need improvement and keep the job. That's assuming that you want to keep the job and are mature enough to handle the possible criticism.

Daniel

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes your right but i had no money
gadget_lover said:

Daniel

cdosrun

Enlightened
Titan,

how long have you been there? Were you employed through an agency?

I might be able to point you to the right law if it would help, but as others have said, you may be better finding employment elssewhere if possible. Unless they are citing gross misconduct (or persistent), you are entitled to the three-step procedure from the employer.

Having said that, I am sure your employer is well aware of the law and won't have breached it. You may still get an adequate reference if you can find somewhere else to work. As was mentioned above, find out what their grievances were and work on it if necessary.

Have you been invited to a meeting with your employer about it?

Andrew

Last edited:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes but they have preordained with out my statement i may be sacked during the hearing
cdosrun said:
Titan,

I might be able to point you to the right law if it would help, but as others have said, you may be better finding emlpoyment elseswhere if possible. Unless they are citing gross misconduct (or persistent), you are entitled to the three-step procedure from the employer.

Andrew

cdosrun

Enlightened
Then they will tell you about your right to appeal but one of the fair reasons for dismissal is conduct and it sounds like what they will be citing here. You will be allowed to state your case, just do it calmly and in an organised manner. However, it sounds like they may have a valid complaint (if you didn't notify them of your departure) so IMHO you would be best advised to apologise if appropriate and try to move on with good grace.

I am not a solicitor so please just take this as friendly advice in the way in which it was intended. Good luck, I hope you manage to resolve it satisfactorily.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi i have been there over 2 years no agency i have every letter sent to me
cdosrun said:
Titan,

I might be able to point you to the right law if it would help, but as others have said, you may be better finding employment elssewhere if possible. Unless they are citing gross misconduct (or persistent), you are entitled to the three-step procedure from the employer.

Having said that, I am sure your employer is well aware of the law and won't have breached it. You may still get an adequate reference if you can find somewhere else to work. As was mentioned above, find out what their grievances were and work on it if necessary.

Andrew

Sarratt

Enlightened
It's not a matter of money ---- there are 600$ flashlights that I will never own.
There are people on this forum who apparently spend a life works on one light
I used to want a '69 Camero --- a buddy and I drove around in it for about 2 years. His was a 4 cylinder. Tiny motor. but who knew?
I want that Camero back ..... not the car but the time.

We all want something ... it's the deciding what that causes problems.

amlim

Enlightened
titan1833,

imho, just talk to your manager to see if there are other hidden reasons they want to terminate you. my view all along about working life is that if they want to fire you, they will find some flimsy excuse and usually we are only human and not perfect. They are tons of small issues which the company can use.

hope you manage to find a satisfactory solution to this.