The Fenix-Store        
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DX "Elly" converted to high power laser :D

Au DX "Elly" converted to high power laser :D

This is a fully regulated 180-240mW red portable laser module. Total cost into these units is around ~$25 each. They are fed by a single 2.5Ah NiMH AA cell. They feature the diodes from Dr. Lava's group buy, and use the stock DealExtreme "Elly" model 1watt LED flashlight current controled powersupply. Each laser uses a different fixture and lens, because I happened to have them laying around. I much prefere the small brass lens/fixture to the larger chrome one.

The laser works fine with the cover on, but is still simple to unscrew and manually focus the laser to a pinpoint if you wish to burn things. Time to light a black match <1second. Time to light a normal match <3seconds. Visible beam in the sky at night, range is as far as you need to be putting a spot on something. They look really cool in foggy evenings

Best Wishes! Enjoy the pics!

-Luke

Default Re: DX "Elly" converted to high power laser :D

Scematics please? Blueprints? vague assembly instructions even?

I want to know how the bleep you're getting 240mw out of a single AA cell! (and how long this poor batter lasts, 30 min?) Also what's the duty cycle on them?

Ok, here goes the vague assembly instructions. Buy Elly flashlight from DX. Unscrew head. Unscrew LED/regulator disk. Scratch off the intigrated LED on the front "star".

Take any 5.6mm cheapy laser pointer optics/case and press/punch the puny little diode out. Carefully tap in your DVD burner diode or whatever hipo LD you are planning on playing with. CAREFULLY bend legs of the LD to flatten out, and insulate with a bit of rubber band to keep the non-case tied legs from shorting to the case.

Center the laser/lens package on the star. Solder the LD to the respective places on the star (the places the former LED mounted). Drill out the plastic reflector to enable it to slip down over the laser module if needed. My little brass laser case didn't require drilling, the chrome fat unit with crappy annoying to focus optics required drilling a 0.490" hole in the reflector. Install the head and a battery and enjoy the unit.

In reguards to duty cycle, all the diodes are going to be a little different, so I would recomend running the diode with your finger on the case to get a feel for what sort of rate temperature rises, and then decide what temps you feel comfortable with.

Around 20seconds is my personal loosely enforced duty time, but I rarely need to leave it on this long for simply burning or pointing to things.

As far as battery life goes, I am pumping ~350mA into the LD, which should give me at least an hour or more from a single AA. I've never had a battery get low yet after EDC'ing the devices and playing with them quite a bit each day.

Best Wishes
    -Luke

Luke --

Is Elly carried in major stores ?? I looked at my 1W LED flashlight and it is powered by 3 AAA cells. I love that boster board. I'm getting your power but with a bigger 3AAA holder and a ballast resistor.

Mike

No idea if it's sold anywhere else.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1120

Its $5.30 from Kyle, and he always has a bunch in stock. I buy them in bulk

Luke --

Thanks - I ordered some... Might make a good IR light too !>!>!>!

Mike

These things scare the crap out of me. That device doesn't look from the front like either a flashlight or a laser. I worry that someone is going to look into it (maybe not this one but others like it are being made), wonder what the heck it is, turn it on and fry their eyeball. Nothing wrong with using these things if you're properly safety aware and know what you're doing, but it should be treated like a firearm, locked up in a gun safe or the equivalent when not in use.

Buttrock Re: DX "Elly" converted to high power laser :D

paulR - IF the Aixiz modules are being used to house the diode - they have safety warning stickers on them. Some careful peeling later, and they should be able to be re-apllied to the exterior of the "elllaser"

Thanks for the link - I ordered some as well - cannot wait for the New Year celebration to complete so shipping gets here faster !
    Last edited by SenKat; 02-18-2007 at 12:55 PM.

PaulR -

I agree with you about safety. I handle all my lasers like I do my firearms. I sure don't pass them around to the "unenlightened". I am also looking for warning stickers or a program to print them.

It seems to me that everyone here is safety minded - Note all the redundent warnings made to the noobs.

Mike

Luke --

That "little" LD assembly looks familiar. Where do you get them ?? I got a couple from ebay a month age and can't find them again. Also, I find that Dr Lava's big assembly makes a good heatsink.

Mike

Mike - if I am successful (keep fingers crossed) at getting laser warning stickers from one of the retailers I keep "bugging" then I will find a way to distribute them - I even offered to pay for them to the dealers, in an attempt to defray their cost a little bit...I think everyone of us that use so many lasers, either home-made, or store-bought should have a few extras laying about just in case !

Nice work. thanks for the pics.

Thanks for the informative "how-to" ! Question : Are the solder pads noted as to polarity ? (+/-)

Do you really think the diodes will hold up to take 350ma any longer time?

Do you have any extras lying around that you wouldn't mind parting with?

Paulr- If this laser seem dangerous, just wait until I finish my 3-5watt DPSS green (thermally stable for only a few seconds at a time) planned to be entirely contained inside a 5Dcell maglite body. 20w 808nm diode powered by LiPoly cells for the pump... Now that laser would be a perticularly poor choice to leave laying about...
    However, you may rest assured that I keep my lasers in a safe place with the rest of my firearms and things of that nature (assumeing I am not EDC'ing them of course ).

SenKat- The pad with the wire leading to the screw that mounts the star is negative. If you used Dr. Lava's diodes, the case lead on the diode is negative. The burner diodes I harvested were both case postive, so you need to check before just assumeing.

Meduza- This is not a critical piece of equipment, so I dont mind if parts fail at some point by being seeing 350mA. I see my lasers as amusement tools, and occasional part failure is just part of the journey. Using my rough duty cycle I've not had any problems yet, and if I do, I could always swap in a new diode and a little resistor.

TigerHawkT3- If you are asking if I have any spare Ellasers, then no, I dont sell anything that I make for myself. If you are asking me if I have any spare diodes, the answers are yes and no respectively.

Very cool - thanks for the info ! I ordered a few of those puppies tonight - cannot wait to get them in, now ! (tick, tock...tick, tock !)

My "elly" order is to ship on the 25th. I can't wait !!

Lots of good info on this thread.

Mike

Hehehehehe ! It's gonna be a race, Mike...mine is due to ship same time ! Muahahahahaha ! Gentlemen, start your diodes !

Quote Originally Posted by liveforphysics
    Paulr- If this laser seem dangerous, just wait until I finish my 3-5watt DPSS green (thermally stable for only a few seconds at a time) planned to be entirely contained inside a 5Dcell maglite body. 20w 808nm diode powered by LiPoly cells for the pump... Now that laser would be a perticularly poor choice to leave laying about...
    However, you may rest assured that I keep my lasers in a safe place with the rest of my firearms and things of that nature (assumeing I am not EDC'ing them of course ).

And I thought the ellaser was awesome! I want plueprints for that monster! could you include a cooling system like the Herc does? or does it get SUPER hot? (rig up a water-cooling system stolen from a computer CPU?)

Enlightened

At work I usually get laser warning labels from http://rswww.com , lots are avalible including some small ones on a roll.

Rockwell Laser Industries sells US CDRH laser warning labels.

At how much current is this regulated. ?? Min - Max ??

Mike

Flashaholic*

I really like this mod and thought about such for some time now
    (because primarily all handheld lasers suck in protection from the elements and because I like the 1st second of outcome of my 5 mW cheap greenie pointer, but then ...
    Just out of curiosity I hooked the device up with a BB 300 and that was awesome and totally stable outcome.

But there is one question I have: seems You took only the laser diode, not that circuity behind.
    Is this really "only" a diode? Positive and negative in, suitable voltage and current, and all runs? No need for the board with that poti? What is that 3rd contact for then?
    How to know if the laser diode survives what the cheap "1 Watt" led-light, used as a host, gives?
    What about different diodes, say from a "<5 mW", "30 mW", "100 mW". They 'd need different currents?

Yellow -

The third pin on the diode is used as a photo-diode feedback. If you take a peek at the way Laser Diodes areconstructed - if it is hooked up properly, it can prevent over power of the diode, by measuring the output. Sophisticated circuitry is needed to excercise that function though. Since most of us are running the diode below the max specs, we are reasonably safe running without the feedback pin.

You CAN hook them direct to batteries, but you do risk killing the diode with a power spike, as batteries do not provide "clean" power....That risk is worth it to some, not worth it to others !

Using Lava's diodes, are you using the resistor and capacitor at all?

Actually, I was not able to get a kit from him - I just was able to get a few diodes from him early on....I have several setup - one is direct to AAA NiMh batts, and one is with a 1N4001 diode (.6 voltage drop) and LED, and a 1KOhm resistor, following Stephanie's (Felusmage) instructions...all in a NASTY Radio shack Project box ! That was my first one - so now I am experimenting more, spreading out a bit

You say you're gettin 180-240mW CW out of these diodes? Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Dr. Lava's group buy for 80mW CW diodes? (240mW PULSED not CW). With proper heatsinking they can probably handle it anyway, but either way that would mean you're overpowering the diode past its specs. Or am I forgetting something?

I don't know about 240mW, but the diodes can be overdriven pretty far, see this thread post 17:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=152042

Well I don't doubt they can be overdriven a bit, especially if you heatsink them. I just wonder how seriously that will affect diode life. Then again, at the prices you sold them for, it almost doesn't matter.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast