WHY a Black flashlight?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is it that a large majority of flashlights are in FLAT black? does this:
Help to find flashlight in the dark?
Help to make the light itself look bright compared to the case?
Keep the batteries nice and cool when its cooking on the dash?
Help to locate the light when stuck in the couch?
Make the price cheap as black paint is cheap?
Properly conform to our expectations of flashlight color?
keep light from bouncing into the users eyes?
Improve the output, because light dissapears into the case?
make the LOGO of the light stand out better?
Feel better in the pocket?

Last edited:

cutlerylover

Banned
good question, maybe its just because black is a neutral color that many people can agree on...not everyone likes blue or green you know so black is good for everyone I guess, then again why not white? Who knows...I know I don't...

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Black is usually chosen by security and law enforcement as it cannot been seen in the dark when exposed

carrot

Flashaholic
That's actually a pretty good question...

Because black is universally accepted? Almost nobody has a problem with black except for hunters and divers, and other people who like to see things they drop. The rest of us carry two flashlights... one to locate the other you dropped. ;)

Underwater Kinetics, Pelican and Streamlight are three manufacturers that make flashlights in bright colors like yellow... and I'm pretty sure you can just take off the anodize on most other flashlights...

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Like others have said, they are made black so when they are off and holstered, they cant be seen as easy for LEO and Military purposes. Also black hides dirt and grime too. :)

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the wife can't see how many you've got !!

If they're not switched on, they're invisible to others.

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
all my lights are black I enjoy them as they are non reflective, look uniform, they don't stand out like a blue or white light will, They don't show alot of dirt/grease on them yes my lights are always subjected to dirt/grease gas ect so far my mini mags finish has held up very well to all sort's of stuff not something I am eager to try with my d-mini or other future high end lights dirt is ok but I don't want my expensive stuff coverd in gas :thumbsdow I think that is abought it black is just a very neutral colour I think it and the polished look is pretty much standard

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is 2 good reasons, so far.
for police and military who might need to hide, not be easy targets.
For your average SHOP work which always seems to have Dark slime everywhere.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
tell me why it shouldn't be

So you can find the dang thing , when you need it.
because LEDs and batteries would prefer to not be hot, and flat black makes them hot in the sun.
Because chrome looks so cool, and bumpers even scratched to death, look better than chipped black stuff.
because the "RAW" versions of the lights they show in the pics, look a lot better than the production model after they put the black paint on.
because black OR white, everything on it shows, but a speckled brown looks the same after or before you drop it in the mud.
Because black makes the tritium vials, and glow. look even darker loosing the light into the dark hole.
Because FLAT black is one of the best ways to stop light.

Last edited:

cutlerylover

Banned
TigerhawkT3 said:
Because it's tacticool, you silly goose. ;)

There might be some truth to this...The tactical use of a black anything is common but even more so the tactical "fad" is very in...I don't want to change the subject to knives but beign a knife guy I see alot of new models having black teflon coated blades, which do very little for the knife besides make it look "cooler"

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, since you replied.

black surfaces radiates heat better then all other colours
black makes the object looks smaller.
black doesn't needs polishing(unless you are talking about glossy black)
black is a "tactical" colour in the sense that it can blend into the darkness so that your "enemy" can't see it(i must say, this is silly, as when you switch it on...)
black is a nice colour :p
because HA only comes in natural(greenish grey ) or black.

i want to see a metal flashlight sandblasted then coated in white, anyone got a picture of that?because i think it seems so nice......

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I prefer them that color, or natural HA. Why are most this way? I suppose because marketing has shown that most folks want black.

Geoff

LEDpencil

Newly Enlightened
Years ago I once had a guy say "Why do you have a red flashlight". I said "Have you ever tried to find a black flashlight in the dark?" . He said "Oh I guess your right." Then I came back with "Have you ever tried to find a RED flashlight in the dark." I had a lot of fun that night.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
looking at the PRICE the dang chrome LOOK garners, i say they should fire the marketing guy (again)

the higly reflective chrome like light glistenes in the moonlight, and glints off the stars, as it sits in the dark waiting for you to grab it.

if your looking for a certain light, using the last 2 bits of light from that sorry mag somone sparked up, or from that candle, the chrome, white , yellow, or even red light show up much better. if it wasnt for that big fat white logo , the black light will sit forever in the dark of its own making :)

Last edited:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
The colors that are most easily hidden in the dark are the same ones that are most easily hidden in the day. Black actually stands out in dark environments.

A medium shade like "dark earth" that has become popular for guns would be a better color for not being seen in the dark.

So, why black? Basically fashion.

Scott

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
beezaur said:
Black actually stands out in dark environments.

Scott

When you have almost white walls and or carpets, which is rather common.

outside hiking my black light dissapeared completely, if it was not for the GLOW in it, i would have never found it.