Orb or Fenix

bray

Newly Enlightened
orb raw comes with a cree now i believe or at least from the orb.uk site... the orb raw is smaller with possible two modes... real low and high... 15 mins of runtime on high and quite a while on low... p1dce is bigger has med,high,low,strobe,sos,, with an hour of runtime on high, blah blah blah,,, basically if ur going to edc the flashlight, do u want small(p1dce) or extra small (orb). cant really say one is better than the other, they both do their job, p1d has longer runtime and orb is smaller...

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
Cant really comment on the P1d ce but the orb raw is a great light. If your looking for a light that will be used a lot outdoors could be dropped and such i would go with the p1d just cause its more durable, water proof and doesnt scratch as easily. My orb is my edc i love it. Its a very special little light. That was my choice when i was looking, was between these two. Either one would be great but im gonna have to say go with the orb.

LowTEC

Enlightened
I will pick the orb for the craftmanship, size and cool factor :naughty:.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
Orbs are fine pieces of work, bordering on art, that also pack a huge punch in terms of output. The electronics are simpler though; they are direct drive, and don't have much in the way of runtime on high. The low is achieved with a resistor, which costs a little bit in efficiency.

The P1D CE isn't quite as fine looking or as exquisite as the Orb Raws. and being a mass produced light, their workmanship doesn't compare, and there is the risk (the 0.01% risk) of getting a lemon. thankfully there is usually good support behind that from the dealers, but there is the risk of the hassle too. however, the P1D CEs are more sophisticated electronically. They have multiple brightnesses that are all fully (and excellently) regulated, and have a hard anodize, which although might not be as good as Surefire or Arc anodize, is still better than the bare aluminium of the Raw (assuming you get the bare AL and not the Ns versions).

finally the Orb is smaller because it uses a smaller battery and the P1D CE is larger because it uses a larger battery =P this might seem like stating the obvious, but the larger battery has more capacity to produce more light, be it in output or runtime.

Edit: what might be less obvious though, is that the orbs need a rechargeable li-on battery to achieve its maximum brightness. you can run primaries on it, but will get a comparatively much dimmer (but longer) output. on the other hand, due to the electronics in the P1D CE, you will still be able to get maximum output on either type of battery, and also all 3 levels of regulation (although medium will start off much higher during the first 10-20 minutes or so) as per Chevrofreak's charts here.

Last edited:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
As much as I truly do like all of my Fenix lights I honestly will say that none of them can compare to the Raw lights I also have. The size and look of the Orb is stunning and with the addition of the new Cree emitter you just cant go wrong with the Raw or the NS.

Yes Fenix is incredible and a bargain at their current prices however their is just something about those Orb lights that I can not explain.....if you have never held one you are in for a suprise as they hold some sort of supernatural allure about them much like the older Arc AAA lights....you know they just do it for you somehow.

Get the Raw if you must choose only one and the Raw NS is in my opinion the best light Orb offers at this time.

Rob187

Enlightened
I've got both.

Choose the Orb Raw for the reasons LowTEC cited.

The Raw is even better now with the Cree as standard.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
bray said:
... 15 mins of runtime on high and quite a while on low...
Here are the specs of the new Orb Raw XR-E according to rob:

P3 WG Tint XR-E
120 lumen's High, 15 lumen's Low.
25 Mins Run time High, 10 Hours Low Or

80 lumen's High, 15 lumen's Low.
1 Hour Run time High, 10 hours Low. Chose at time of order.

Mineral Glass lense
McR 16mm Reflector designed for the XR-E (Not Modified)
Copper Heat sink
Includes 2 stage switch (High/Low)
World wide Nano charger
PRCR2 3.7 Volt, 350 mAh Protected Li-ion
Protective case
BT Lanyard Kit.

Eric

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Tim W said:
NO, get both is not an option!!:lolsign::awman:

Looking at either a P1D CE or the Orb raw.

Which is better and why?

Thanks,
Tim
... in which case, go for the Orb. It's collectable *and* practical. Also upgradeable in a piecemeal way. I accept that, with the current state of the US dollar it's going to be expensive, but not *that* much more expensive. It's also got that "what the ?><&! is that!" factor which could help swell the ranks of flashaholics.
(I also have some Fenixes which are great lights - but they are *only* lights.)

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
From www.theorb.co.uk,
Lots of people have a fenix or similar, the Orb raw is more exclusive and everyone will ask where you got it from.
Also, it does depend on what you plan to use it for? If you plan to throw it in your toolbox, buy the fenix. If it's going in your pocket, buy the Orb raw.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tim,
the Fenix lights are a dime a dozen, the orb is crafted to be functional art, with the orb you can get scratches however they are for the most part easily buffed out. also the orb is small enough to keep in your other pocket to prevent the scratches.

I strongly suggest the orb

Doug

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can afford it, and will edc the light, and not be too rough or use it heavily, definetely the orb. It's a real beauty, have you seen the damascus one? Unbelievably gorgeous.

raptor99

Newly Enlightened
anyone have any idea how long it takes Orb to send out their lights to us? I just ordered one last night as well?

LightScene

Enlightened
The Orb is nice, but $20 GBP = $39 USD extra for the Cree XR-E is unconscionable price gouging.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this thread :thumbsup: & :thanks:
Most CPF members who now me & have a Orb or Raw Series will have guessed Lummi is a small company which includes myself Rob (Orb) & my wife (Lucy) who helps with the paper work. I still Personally hand assemble each & every light we sell. The metal work is made by a Local to me CNC Company who also have passion for the product they make for me. I am very lucky to have such a CNC Shop.
I am aware there are other lights available with similarity's, like some of you have backed up here the lights I am producing here do have that extra something. I may appear biased but If there was some other light that i'd rather carry then i would. The Raw Ti with XR-E (5 Ice Blue Locators)is my current favourite. The lights are nice to have with you at all times & I am proud to show others the light in my pocket, I guess even prouder that I designed & manufactured the light. Besides patting my own back, thanks to the CPF & All You guys Lummi may not be a growing business.
HUGE :thanks: for all your support :thumbsup:

Latest posts