Got My L2D Today!

Optic Nerve

Newly Enlightened
I got to admit. This light is absolutely amazing! It is extremely bright for its size. It blows all my other LED lights out of the water. Not that any of them are in water. :) It really amazes me how fast Fenix was able to produce this light and get it to its customers. The user interface is pretty cool, and I like all the different modes it has. I wish this light had a tactical switch and not a reverse clickie. I worry about the switch and how reliable it is. Does anybody know what type of operational life cycle this switch has? I have another flashlight and the manufacturer claims a duty cycle of 10,000 on/off operations for the switch. I guess my reference or standard for reliable switches would be the ones that I see on the Maglites or Surefire E2e. With my 15 dollar paypal discount and the 5% discount from the fenix store, I really got a good deal on this light. Thanks Fenix for producing a really neat little light.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally agree with you, I am also impressed with mine. If it had a tactical non reverse switch it would only change modes whilst you try to signal someone

magnum70383

Enlightened
Hey guys, I've been thinking of getting this light...but this forum has introduced me to other lights like the Jet.. something and the Lumapower M3. I dunno. L2D STILL is the cheapest one for its price... might just stick with it.. gonna order it through Fenix-store prob tmr! hahha

Bjorn Keizers

Newly Enlightened
I'm considering getting a L2D-CE as well. I really need something to replace that crappy standard -- AA Maglite -- and this seems just the ticket. It's going to be my first decent flashlight... but judging by the fanatical people, I doubt it will be my last :D

magnum70383

Enlightened
Bjorn Keizers said:
I'm considering getting a L2D-CE as well. I really need something to replace that crappy standard -- AA Maglite -- and this seems just the ticket. It's going to be my first decent flashlight... but judging by the fanatical people, I doubt it will be my last :D

Yuuuuup, ordered the L2D CE from Fenix-store. Hope there wouldn't be delays! Hey the new Maglite LED 2XAA is pretty good. Well, at lease it's pretty good for a little maglite... they used to suck....The L2D (SHOULD?) be twice as bright as the maglite LED

coppertrail

Enlightened
I'm very impressed with the L2D CE. What drew me to the Jetbeam MKIIx and the Lumapower M3 is their versatility and textured reflectors. With the M3, you get three lights in one (1AA, 2AA, and 1CR123A). You get the same with the Jetbeam MKII series, but the 2AA and 1CR123A tubes are availible separately.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my L2D-CE out of the mailbox today also. It's really bright, and it actually worked out of the package (unlike my Jetbeam C-LE). Definitely recommended.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Originally posted by magnum70383:
Yuuuuup, ordered the L2D CE from Fenix-store. Hope there wouldn't be delays! Hey the new Maglite LED 2XAA is pretty good. Well, at lease it's pretty good for a little maglite... they used to suck....The L2D (SHOULD?) be twice as bright as the maglite LED

I've got both the Maglite LED 2AA and 3AA and just received the Fenix L2D-CE. You definitely won't be disappointed. Not only is it far brighter than both, on both high and turbo, but the hot spot is much larger and the throw is clearly longer. It's a very nice light. BTW, I still like my MagLED lights, but this is little light is clearly superior. It's not only the Cree LED, but the Fenix craftsmanship as well that I like.

magnum70383

Enlightened
HarveyRich said:
I've got both the Maglite LED 2AA and 3AA and just received the Fenix L2D-CE. You definitely won't be disappointed. Not only is it far brighter than both, on both high and turbo, but the hot spot is much larger and the throw is clearly longer. It's a very nice light. BTW, I still like my MagLED lights, but this is little light is clearly superior. It's not only the Cree LED, but the Fenix craftsmanship as well that I like.

Sweeeeet, sounds good. Btw, i like my Maglite LED 2AA as well. O yeah. How's the craftsmanship on the L2D anyways???

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
much better finish (HA anodize, better/brighter Led, multilevel, glass window, reflector, operation, ...)
but more slippy as it has no knurling,
WAY shorter than the unecessary long MM-Led
(hey, into that 2AA should fit 3 AAs and into the 3 AA four batts, that would be a good used space then)

Bjorn Keizers

Newly Enlightened
Well, like you guys said... I'm not disappointed :D

This morning I did a little road trip to pick up an L2D-CE -- didn't want to order it online since '1-day shipping' was just a tad too long :D So, two train rides and four hours later... I was fiddling with it at the coffee table.

Wow. Simply wow. Like I said, all I owned before this was a Solitaire (!) and a AA Minimag... not even the LED kind. I'd seen LED lights before, but the demonstration at the store (dark corridor) was as impressive as the reviews led me to expect.

Now, I'm no expert -- but I can definitely appreciate the output, throw and build quality of the L2D-CE. It feels solid, it's nice to operate, and most importantly: it's bright as hell. My brother called it a lightsabre, I call it 'oww --remember not to point that anywhere near eyes'. I think this'll do just fine :D

magnum70383

Enlightened
Hey does anyone know what's happening with Fenix-store? I ordered my L2D 3 days ago and the order is still "processing." WHen this heck is it gonna ship!?! :mad:

InfidelCastro

Banned
TORCH_BOY said:
I totally agree with you, I am also impressed with mine. If it had a tactical non reverse switch it would only change modes whilst you try to signal someone

Not if it operated like the L2T.

I can see the use for somebody wanting a longer running low mode, but not for 5 modes + strobe and SOS.

I will not be buying one of these lights until they put a decent user interface back on them.

It seems every single light like this in existence has this same ridiculous circuit board now.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Originally Posted by InfidelCastrol:I can see the use for somebody wanting a longer running low mode, but not for 5 modes + strobe and SOS.

I will not be buying one of these lights until they put a decent user interface back on them.

You should find one owned by someone else and try the UI. It really isn't as complicated as it seems. I received mine a few days ago and am easily used to it now. If you keep the head twisted clockwise, you always start up in turbo mode when clicking on. When you twist slightly counterclockwise you go into low mode. It would be nice for the light to keep the last mode used, but it doesn't, which is my only minor gripe. So, you have to partially click twice to get into high mode and that's really easy. If you want to go back to high you just twist a little and voila you're back. The unknown anxiety about the modes is far worse than the reality of the actual UI. I agree with many other posters who have said that this is actually a pretty elegant UI

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
HarveyRich said:
You should find one owned by someone else and try the UI. It really isn't as complicated as it seems. I received mine a few days ago and am easily used to it now. If you keep the head twisted clockwise, you always start up in turbo mode when clicking on. When you twist slightly counterclockwise you go into low mode. It would be nice for the light to keep the last mode used, but it doesn't, which is my only minor gripe. So, you have to partially click twice to get into high mode and that's really easy. If you want to go back to high you just twist a little and voila you're back. The unknown anxiety about the modes is far worse than the reality of the actual UI. I agree with many other posters who have said that this is actually a pretty elegant UI

The UI on the L1D seems pretty good, and IMHO the best of the recent multilevel lights, but I have to go with Infidelcastro here, I would love a LxD with just two modes with a bezeltwist and tailclickie, low or medium with long runtime and a screaming bright. Simple is good, and I prefer that you could signal with your light. More functions is ok, but not with multitapping.

irjws

Newly Enlightened
I find the strobe very useful. Especially if your changing a flat tire at night on the side of the road. Even though the emergency flashers are helpful you would be surprised how many people overlook them.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree the are fantasticly bright...I hope the switch can hold up long term. These are the lights other manufactures need to beat.

Latest posts