Impressions, Fenix LOD-CE, Fenix L2D-CE, Jetbeam C-LE

peskyphotons

Newly Enlightened
Well I had to sell my truck for medical and survival money but I had to take a little for some new toys to ease the pain of not having my truck.

First I have my LOD-CE. I'm very impressed by this one, a lot of light for one AAA and a nice beam a little floody, perfect for this type of light. It has taken the place of my Arc, I hope it will prove as dependable.

Then I received my L2D-CE. Wow, I am impressed with how much light and throw this one has. The tint is a little greenish especially at lower power levels. I am a colorblind electrician (don't let the little things stop ya) so my color judgement is suspect. The beam quality is a little ringy but not noticeable when using the light. The retaining ring that holds in the switch in the tailcap needed to be tightened, it kept loosening up when I took off the cap to get to the batteries. The UI is very nice, I like being able to have the choice of full power on the first click or starting at the lowest setting first click. As long as this proves to be long term dependable I like this UI the best aside from the programmable setups.

Last I received my C-LE. Of the lights this one has the best machining, knurling and finish, and the best beam quality, both tint and pattern. There are no rings and a nice sized hotspot. I am not as impressed with the light output, It is less than my HDS B42 which is the only light I trust as being close to the claimed specs. The output is about the same as my XM-3 which I consider to be an under performer and about the same as the medium setting of my L2D-CE. If I had to pull a guess out of a dark place I would say about 30-35 lumens as compared to my HDS. I think mostly I feel let down by the untested claims by manufacturers, 80 lumens, really? Since the output was less than expected I was hoping that the runtime would be good. Well, I get a little more than one and half hours on a 2500 mah NIMH. All and all it is a nice little light and at $36 and change including shipping I don't think I could ask for more. I would love to here from others about Their C-LEs.

When I first got my paws on the lights I cleaned the threads and greased them. Aluminum really tends to gall up and the anodized threads feel really rough without grease. On the C-LE I read that some people were having trouble with the foam pad tearing out, I put a little bit of grease on the surface of the pad with the hope that battery will slip and not pull up the pad.

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
HIJACK
OK I'll bite. Now do you pick the correct colour wire?
When I first started working, I saw one of the assemblers wiring a prototype from another department. So I asked why those guys do not wire it up themsrlves. He replied "They did. They wired the whole panel with GREEN wire. The Hydro inspector had a FIT!!!"
(Green is the colour of the ground wire in North America. Yellow elsewhere. Can not use them for ciecuits that carry current.)
peskyphotons said:

I am a colorblind electrician (don't let the little things stop ya)

/HIJACK

Are you hinting the L0D-CE whomped the C-LE in terms of brightness?

peskyphotons

Newly Enlightened
I'm not all the way colorblind just color challenged. It is a gene carried by women and about 15% of men have a little bit of color blindness. It just makes it difficult to have fine judgment on tint. Whenever I was not sure about a wire I asked someone.

The C-LE is brighter than the LOD-CE but not by as much as I expected. The C-LE is a nice light but I think the "marketing lumens" had me expecting more. I have a MK IIx on order and it has "marketing lumens" of 150. So maybe I have to divide "marketing lumens" by Pi.

Alex

peskyphotons

Newly Enlightened
scubasteve1942 said:
Hows the switching from low to high on these? My L1T flickers all the time during changing modes.

I did have some problems until I tightened up the switch retaining ring.

Alex

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also had the same problem with mine, just had to clean the surfaces where the contact in the head of the flashlight meets the body tube