Huntlight FT01XSE OR LumaHunter -M1 ?

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
These lights look similar in size and shape, they both have the Cree XR-E LED's, have about the same output on maximum and cost about US$90.00. What are the differences and which is the better value for money?

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I have read, the M1 has much better throw and two levels. The other one has four or five levels and about the same throw as the P1D-CE on high. It seems like most of the excitement is currently with the M1. Flashlightreviews.com gave it a good review, and lots of people here read that site. I don't have either. I can't decide which on is better. I think the M1 will probably be the one I go with, because of the review.

vtran96

Newly Enlightened
I was considering the same lights, plus the WE Sniper (less expensive) with the new cree option. I'm having a hard time deciding. I may go with the Huntlight because they are suppose to have a clicky with a momentary switch soon, which would complete my needs. I think Lumapower is working on one as well. I like the WE a lot but wished it was at least a two stage. Everybody seems to love their M1 but there appears to be a question of whether or not it's fully regulated...I think. Only time will tell just how much people really like it. Even though the M1 maybe a better thrower, the Huntlight shouldn't be embarrassed about its numbers. I'm probably going to hold off for another month before I make a final decision, hopefully by then Huntlight will have their momentary clicky available, which would seal my decision. Good luck.

javafool

Enlightened
I own both and I find myself reaching for the Huntlight most often. I think the runtimes on 18650's are about the same but I like the UI of the Huntlight better with 5 brightness levels + strobe & SOS, even though I am not a big fan of SOS mode.
My back yard is about 150' wide and both flashlights light things up well when I let the dogs out. The Huntlight has a much bigger diameter beam and lights a larger area with plenty of spill to track my mighty 6# Chihuahuas around the yard. I can also bump it down one brighness level and still have plenty of light with a longer run time.
Both lights are built tough and I don't think you will go too far wrong with whichever of the two you buy.

Chao

Enlightened
I have both, really difficult to tell which is better, M1 is a thrower, FT-01 has usefull big hot spot,
FT01-10m.jpg
lumama10mh.jpg

if you want me pick one, I would say M1, maybe I just like the easy 2-stages switch.

Kabible

Enlightened
I like my FT01-XSE. Very versatile and useable as a general flashlight with its wide hot spot & multi-levels. So far, the most white of any LED I've seen.
However, I was not happy with the CHEAP aluminum belt clip. I fashioned a stainless clip for it and threw the original clip in the trash. I was also disappointed with the machining quality of the broaching near the end of the body and the off center clip groove. The tail switch operates better after squirting some light lithium grease into it.
The rest of the light is well machined with clean tight threads. The anodize has a slight texture which feels secure in the hand. The inside of the body is smooth anodized.
I'm looking forword to installing the OP reflector (just ordered it from JSB) which should smooth out the hot spot and eleminate its dark halo.
Though I don't own one, by all accounts the M1 construction quality is better. But due to its wider hot spot & functions, I'd choose the Huntlight again.