LED modded GI light whines...

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
My first mod was taking a GI issue light (the old style 90 degree lights) and modding it to accept a 2 cell Mag LED dropin. It now makes a high pitched whining noise when on. Does anyone know what this is and if I should be worried?? This light usually stays in my survival pack but occasionally gets use when needed.
Thanks!!
Dave

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
You're hearing the oscillator in the regulator circuit. It's perfectly normal; many regulated lights produce an audible whine.

The flashlight case might be resonating at the oscillator's frequency or some harmonic and causing it to sound louder.

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
I hear the same sound from my 2D MagLED when I turn it on. I think someone posted a thread a while back about how if you hold the light near an AM radio, you can pick up a signal from it.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
jnj1033 said:
I hear the same sound from my 2D MagLED when I turn it on. I think someone posted a thread a while back about how if you hold the light near an AM radio, you can pick up a signal from it.

Exactly. Tune an AM radio to an empty spot at the low end of the band, turn the light on and hold it near the radio. You'll hear the oscillator in the radio.

LV426

Enlightened
One should always test a regulated flashlight together with electronic avalanche equipment...