Hunting writer Jim Zumbo calls Semi-autos Terrorist guns...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yekim

Enlightened
http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html

I know there are a few of you guys here that got into lights because of needing to mount them on weapons, this guy has tried to feed all of us who own AR's to the wolves.

The guy is entitled to his opinion, but he calls these guns terrorist guns and says that hunters should divorce themselves from the people that own them.

Whether or not you care about image, or are only into certain types of guns, gun owners are all in the same boat together and the loss of one type only leads to the loss of them all.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
in California we don't even have the legal protection to own fully functional ARs(OLLs are remedies but not solutons), this is a pretty big slap in the face.

His whole apology basically said, "oops, my bad, I didn't know there were so many of you guys out there. I would have not said it if I knew there were so many people who legally own and enjoy them. I was tired, no hard feelings".

Eh, at least he didn't start an organization to ban ARs. THings could be worse.

Last edited:

drizzle

Enlightened
I wrote out a response then thought it would be better put in the underground. I'll do that once it is back up again.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zumbo stepped on it big-time.

The anti-gunners will capitalize on his original statements forever -- no matter how he phrases his apology. This is as big a coup for them as was the picture of Sean Penn carrying the shotgun in New Orleans was for us RKBA folks.

It's easy for the average person to see through the anti-gun rantings of Oprah and Rosie -- they have inordinately loud voices because of their celebrity status. Most people understand that they have no real knowledge of guns, hunting, sport shooting and the fact that the Constitution doesn't stop after the first amendment. But Zumbo is one of the most respected hunting/gun writers today.

I suggest a change in his TV theme song. Maybe Bobby Bare's "Pour Me Another Tequila, Sheila".

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man o' man... that was bad, and the CYA apology not much better. I get tired too, though I can't remember the last time I called AR's "terrorist guns" because of it... or because of anything else for that matter.

Although I hardly know anything about Zumbo, offhand his statements sound like he's been sippin' on some anti-gun Kool-Aid. In other words, he's bought into "assault weapon" rhetoric. That big of an, ahem, error doesn't happen because one is tired and grumpy. I find it slightly hard to accept that a 30 - 40 year hunting writer just simply didn't understand that there's no difference between a civilian owned AR-15, and any regular 'ol hunting semi-auto. He might do well to watch this video...

The Truth about "Assault Weapons"

However, this is slightly beside the point. The big question being, if Zumbo is such a "friend" of the 2nd amendment, how can he seem to lack such understanding of it?

Now I'll cut the guy a tiny bit of slack (not much though), and give him the chance to eventually comes to grips with his real error. Maybe the 'Nuge will whip his behind into shape.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
Remington already dropped him due to his comments. His other sponsors will probably follow suit.

Outdoor life DELETED his blog, and the thousands of comments from pissed off gunownes.

His apology isn't really an apology. He said exactly what he felt, the first time. The second time he was just trying to save his professional life.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
AndyTiedye said:
So why DO hunters need semiautomatics? Can't hit what you're shooting at the first time?

Let me give you a single shot, bolt action rifle. Take that bear hunting and see how long you live (or heck, even boar hunting).

Plus, "need" is irrelevant. Do you need more than 1 flashlight? Do you need a 3 watt rather than a 1 watt led? Who defines YOUR needs?

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
AndyTiedye said:
So why DO hunters need semiautomatics? Can't hit what you're shooting at the first time?

Does your question pertain to the issue? No.

To humor the wise guy question for a second though, and reframe it... Nobody I've ever heard of uses a semi-auto to go spray and pray for game. Things aren't done that way, if that's what you're trying to imply.

But this is not quite what this discussion is about, is it? Or are you just looking for reactions (aka. trolling)?

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't confuse need and want. Why does anyone need a rifle? Why does anyone need a flashlight? Why does anyone need a car that travels more than 70mph?

It's kind of the same response I give when a non-hunter asks "Why do you hunt?". My response - "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand".

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
BIGIRON said:
Don't confuse need and want. Why does anyone need a rifle? Why does anyone need a flashlight? Why does anyone need a car that travels more than 70mph?

It's kind of the same response I give when a non-hunter asks "Why do you hunt?". My response - "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand".

Yup, in fact now you have animal-rightists asking "Why do you need to hunt?" After all, we're living in the future, and hunting is barbaric and cruel.

And the anti-gunners think that ALL firearms are evil, and should be banned. That includes the kind of rifles that Jim Zumbo does know and love, i.e. the 30.30. http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...n=5376C4A3-C33B-4AC6-B5BA913300F5285554845729

"Another rifle caliber, the 30.30 caliber... It is outrageous and unconscionable that such ammunition continues to be sold in the United States of America"

A FUDD like Zumbo has no idea what the modern RKBA movement is all about, and he has no idea about what the gun-grabbers really want.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have deleted all evidence of his blog and posted this:

Statement from Outdoor Life

Due to the controversy surrounding Jim Zumbo's recent postings, Outdoor Life has decided to discontinue the "Hunting With Zumbo" blog for the time being. Outdoor Life has always been, and will always be, a steadfast supporter of our Second Amendment rights, which do not make distinctions based on the looks of the firearms we choose to own, shoot and take hunting. Please direct any comments you have to [email protected].

Just waiting for it to blow over...

-Bill

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
Datasaurusrex said:
Let me give you a single shot, bolt action rifle. Take that bear hunting and see how long you live (or heck, even boar hunting).

Plus, "need" is irrelevant. Do you need more than 1 flashlight? Do you need a 3 watt rather than a 1 watt led? Who defines YOUR needs?
To be fair - a flashlight, however large, cannot be abused/misused to kill people at a distance. At worst, it could be used as a club.

I am not anti-gun, but for those who enjoy using them responsibly to abandon consideration of their misuse just doesn't work. (I likewise don't care for people who ignore the death toll on our roads and highways when it suits their automotive arguments.)

And where DO you draw the line? Semi-auto? Full auto? RPG's?

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Biker Bear said:
I am not anti-gun, but for those who enjoy using them responsibly to abandon consideration of their misuse just doesn't work. (I likewise don't care for people who ignore the death toll on our roads and highways when it suits their automotive arguments.)
Has anyone done that here? Not that I see. To then declare it "doesn't work" has a strawman ring to it. Here's to hoping this thread stays on track...

Biker Bear said:
And where DO you draw the line? Semi-auto? Full auto? RPG's?
Unfortunately, another strawman question, whether intended as such or not. Not sure what line drawn is supposed to be drawn for what purpose? We're talking about semi-auto rifles being called "terrorist guns".

Anyone here been out hunting with an RPG lately?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
benchmade_boy said:
if it were a single shot then it would not be a bolt action. the reason for a bolt action it to get another on out of the clip. if it were a single shot then it would be a break open, not a bolt action.

Actually, I happen to own a single-shot, bolt-action rifle...

JM-99

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grew up with a single shot 22LR bolt action Remington--us kids actually wore out the bolt.

You don't need those 123 cell lights or LIon rechargable batteries for a computer do you? Lithium batteries are used for making (IIRC) Meth... And those Lithium cells have been known to catch fires (were banned on aircraft years ago--and now LIon rechargables)...

And nobody needs Hydrogen Peroxide (I use for cleaning wounds), Lemon Juice (I like Lemond Aid) or Hexamine fuel tablets (used for camp cooking) do you?...

-Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.