Elektro Lumens + Cree

Gaffle

Enlightened
I am in the market for a new flashlight. My one stipulation is that the light must have the ability to use rechargeable cells. In reading the Cree Seoul sticky I have noticed some nice lights. I really like the new Elektro Lumen lights. Especially the DeCree.

So, the DeCree isn't out yet, but how are those Lucidus XR2/XR3 lights working out? I am a pocket EDC kind of guy, so I know the XR3 would be too long. Would it be possible for someone to post a pic of the XR2 next to a Streamlight ProPoly 4AA? Hah, don't mean to be pushy, just doin all of the research I can!:grin2:

Meduza

Enlightened
I do not have a Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA, is it enough with a picture next to a Fenix L1D CE and a Blaster 1R (or any of my other lights)?

Last edited:

Monolith

Enlightened
Is it enough to say that I can slide the XR2 easily in and out of my back pocket? What I like about the XR2 is that it is ready when I need it while working on a vehicle. Would I carry it in my front pocket? Probably not. Nor would I carry a minimag in my front pocket.

Okay, in case words are not enough:

IMG_1460.jpg

Last edited:

Gaffle

Enlightened
Mono, :rock: rock on. Thanks. I guess the XR2 is still a bit large for my tastes. I am a front pocket/cargo pocket kind of guy. I am currently EDCing the ProPolymer, but it is still a bit large. Bring on the DeCree.

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne makes some very nice lights! I have several and the Lucidius is next on my list.

Meduza

Enlightened
The Lucidus XR-2 is wonderful lights :)

Today i forgot that i had it holstered on my belt until a classmate asked me why i did carry two flashlights on my belt ^-^

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Elektro Lumens is going to make some great lights with Cree LEDs. Elektro Lumens has made some fantastic multiple LED lights in the past. One problem with multiple LEDs is that the heat they produce hurts performance. To make the lights practical he had to add resistance to cut down on the heat. With the new Cree LEDs heat will be much less of a problem.

My ideal light would be a Elektro Lumens multiple LED light that is close to the brightness of a M*g85, no longer than 12.25 inches (the length of a 3D M*g), regulated, and runs at least an hour to %50 of initial brightness. Maybe with Cree LEDs that will be possible.:rock:

Last edited:

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking about the Lucidus-XR2, 2 hours at 80 Lumens on 2 AA,
on the other hand the Fenix L2D CE, 4 hours at 80 Lumens on 2 AA,
almost twice the runtime as the Lucidus-XR2,
The Fenix won my vote

speederino

Enlightened
The 2 hours at 80 lumens is with Alkalines. NiMH and Lithium more than double that.

Can't wait to see Chevro's runtime graphs for the L2D on alkaline.

Gaffle

Enlightened
TORCH_BOY said:
I was thinking about the Lucidus-XR2, 2 hours at 80 Lumens on 2 AA,
on the other hand the Fenix L2D CE, 4 hours at 80 Lumens on 2 AA,
almost twice the runtime as the Lucidus-XR2,
The Fenix won my vote

Run time: Up to 6 hours with hi capacity NIMH rechargables (2 hours on ordinary alkalines)

Comes from Elektro Lumens site reguarding the XR2. Don't know if that is 6 hours of full regulation though.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gaffle said:
Run time: Up to 6 hours with hi capacity NIMH rechargables (2 hours on ordinary alkalines)

Comes from Elektro Lumens site reguarding the XR2. Don't know if that is 6 hours of full regulation though.

I may be wrong, but I thought Elektro Lumens lights did not have regulation.

I heard that the upcoming DeCree, will be an exception. It will run on a 18650 with regulation and have a single Cree xre.

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
I think the DeCree doesn't have regulation, but a resistor. It works on protected 18650 cells, so should have a quite flat discharge curve. Wayne has been pondering different resistors to let it run somewhere between 700 mAmp and 1.2 Amp.

Here are some quotes from Wayne on 12/19/06:

"Brief specs:
Cree XR-E LED, bin P3, powered at around 1000mA, simple resistor to reduce power (prototype is direct drive at 1.2A)
Cree optics
Mineral glass lens
sealed water resistant with o-rings every connect
uses 18650 Li-Ion rechargable battery (not included). Should run around 2.5 hours, depending on amperage of battery.
twisty on/off/momentary tail cap switch
estimated 160 lumens and around 5000 lux"

and

"You need to use protected 18650's only. I am not putting in a protection circuit. I do have some but they are too long to easily fit in. I would need to make the light longer to include the circuit. As long as protected batteries are used it's okay.

It's always difficult to set the power level, because there are some who want it low and others higher. It's difficult for me to custom make each light according to each persons preferences. It will be easy for the customer to swap out resistors if you can do that sort of thing. I don't think I can custom tailor make each flashlight, some to 700mA, some to 900mA, some to whatever power level. I'll just set it at what seems to be the brightest as possible and not put the LED in danger of getting too hot and expiring.

There has already been considerable discussion on the matter of what power level to set this light at. I am still not sure what I will do. I will do more testing and post my results, and at some point make a final decision."

Kees

speederino

Enlightened
Lucidus-XR2 is regulated using the 400ma micropuck. The XR-3 and DeCree are direct drive, resistored slightly to keep current where Wayne wants it. The nice thing about direct drive is that you don't give 20% to the inefficiencies of the regulator. Li-ions have a relatively flat discharge curve anyways. DeCree will drive the Cree at 1+ amp for more than two hours off a single 18650. That's pretty awesome.

Edit: the other nice thing about these lights is that they use the Cree optic, rather than teh suck reflectors. After seeing my Lucidus first hand, I believe the Cree is not meant for a reflector. No rings, nice smooth beam with the optic.

Last edited:

Gaffle

Enlightened
Hrm...so does anyone know how flat a protected 18650 will discharge? I mean, is there a huge curve compared to a regulated circuit? If I am spending $50+ on a light I want some kick arse regulation. Not direct drive. I personally am kinda a Made In USA kind of guy, but I may have to go with a Fenix. Decisions, decisions.

Meduza

Enlightened
No, 18650 is Li-Ion and have a very flat discharge curve compared to many other batteries, i think you will be satisfied with the DeCree.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Art Vandelay said:
My ideal light would be a Elektro Lumens multiple LED light that is close to the brightness of a M*g85, no longer than 12.25 inches (the length of a 3D M*g), regulated, and runs at least an hour to %50 of initial brightness. Maybe with Cree LEDs that will be possible.:rock:
Perhaps, but if you're waiting for Elektrolumens to make it, you may be waiting for a while. I'm pretty sure I've seen Wayne state more than once that he hasn't any immediate plans to make more "big" lights. Too bad, really, because I agree with you. I'm thinking a tri-CREE or -Seoul (I'm kinda leaning toward the Seoul these days), with more brightness and more run-time would be great.

I wish I was retired and had the financial reserves to spend on the necessary fabrication equipment. I think I'd try for the equivilent of a Tri-Star Phazer with SSC P4 U-bins, regulated, with a circuit that would give me two brightness levels ("pretty bright" and "damn bright").