what makes alephs worth $250 plus?

luminata

Enlightened
I am trying to figure out what makes aleph lites worth the Dinero. They appear to be very nice lights , very well made but there also seem to be many disclaimers attached to them . Things such as "emitter may/may not be centered , there may be dust inclusion,type of switch is not gauranteed,imperfections in anodizing etc. etc. .. for 1/4 of a G shouldnt these things be as close to perfection as humanly possible? or is this a case of the name brand blinding the consumer into a state of illogical thought process resulting in a hypnotic action of pressing the payment sent button ?

please aleph owners chime in (especially A-19 owners)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you are even considering something in this price range, McGizmo's lights are almost a no-brainer. An awful lot of his lights being sold used in B/S/T are going for as much or more than they originally did.

I've never owned one, but I've played with several. They are obviously top notch lights. I don't know about all those disclaimers but I've never seen one with an issue I'd even mention, let alone complain about.

On the other hand, I've seen several Surefires (and owned two) that were returned or sold because of tint and donut hole issues.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
The McGizmo lights I own are the best ones in every aspect. Well worth the money and more significant than Surefire.

Best regards

_____
Tom

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alephs are McGizmo's. In McGizmo's section of CPF you can read his policies. I've never heard anybody complain about his lights or customer service. I think he had to put in those disclaimers to protect himself from a few people who take advantage and mess things up for everybody. As to why they are worth $250 plus, I don't know. I prefer the PD, but some people like that the Alephs compatible with Surefire E-series.
http://dmcleish.com/CPF/Aleph-Series/index.html

paulr

Flashaholic
They are just great lights. A Rolex watch might have fewer surface blemishes, but would also cost at least 10x as much despite the Rolex being made on some automated assembly line, instead of by hand like an Aleph. Cosmetic perfection just isn't a big goal of an Aleph or a major part of the engineering vision that the Aleph expresses. These lights were not intended to be jewelry. (Edited for clarity).

Last edited:

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
paulr said:
They are just great lights. A Rolex watch might have fewer surface blemishes, but would also cost at least 10x as much despite being made on some automated assembly line instead of by hand. Cosmetic perfection just isn't a big goal of an Aleph or a major part of the engineering vision that the Aleph expresses. These lights were not intended to be jewelry.

Well, I think Rolexes arent made by hand, ;) that aside, Im really interested in the Alephs and the PDs but I have a hard time figuring out what is available when. I would have gotten one or more by now if that wasnt the case. Are the Sandwich Shoppe ones also McGizmos? Does anyone have any experience with their Crees? Thanks.

paulr

Flashaholic
Bah, I wrote that sentence unclearly (now edited). I meant: Rolexes are made on an assembly line, Alephs are made by hand.

Last edited:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have and have owned Alephs and PD's and HD45's.

They are innovative, use high quality materials and electronics are extremely well built and finished, and work very well.. Read through the McGizmo "stickies" for information.

Here is a picture of an A19 Cree XRE in Black, single stage, perfect beam and very bright, finish and fit flawless.
122180957-M.jpg
122180980-M.jpg
122180973-M.jpg

Most that have ever seen or held one..............then own one.

Good Luck,

jeffb

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a couple more; the original ALephs were Surefire "E" Compatible and LE's (Light engines, heads and bodies are interchangeable (if rules are followed!) The HD45 w/5W LED is one of my favorites, especially for walking at night!
49282486-M.jpg

52347813-M.jpg

HD45
123584896-M.jpg