• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Mag-85/623...Where to buy parts?

goosefraba

Newly Enlightened
Can you help me find where to buy parts for mag-85 & m*g-623?

- Hi temp sockets
- Reflector (long beams, preffered.)
- Lense
- Battery pack for 85 & 623.
- Bulbs, of course.

Need some advise where to get them from...much appreciated.

Shipping preffered using UPS, Fedex, DHL - I don't trust (Phil_post) local post office.

Please include prices.

Thanks.

goosefraba.
from d' philippines.
HTML:

RdlyLite

Enlightened
Take one 3D Mag light. Remove the stock plastic reflector and replace with a metal reflector from from www.light-edge.com or elsewhere. I prefer a "LOP"(low orange peel), but they come in other flavors like SMO (smooth). Orange peel describes the bumpiness of the reflective coating. The higher you go on orange peel, the smoother the beam is but it slightly diminishes throw. Also note that some of these metal reflectors are "cammed" and some are not. I prefer cammed, which is like the stock reflector and allows you to turn the head of the light to focus the light. All of light-edge's reflectors are cammed, I think. CPF members who make and sell them will sell both flavors, so make sure you get a cammed reflector if ordering from one of them. You replace the stock reflector because it will melt if you dont.

Next replace the stock bulb with a Welch-Allyn WA1185 bulb from www.light-edge.com, CPF member Litho123 or elsewhere ; a "potted" bulb means that it fits the existing socket just like the stock bulb does. The other flavor that some use is "bi-pin" bulb, which doesnt if the stock Mag socket. In order to use the bi-pin bulb you have to replace the stock switch with one from a Magcharger light. Order a spare bulb or two and store them in the tail of the light.

Next replace the plastic stock lens with a 52.1mm borofloat glass lens from www.flashlightlens.com . This size fits the 2D, 3D, 4D, etc mag lights. The stock lens will melt if you dont replace it.

Almost done. Buy from CPF member Fivemega a "9AA to 3D" adapter, which is also written 9aa>3D. If he is not currently selling them, look for one on b/s/t or wait for him to sell some more. He offers them regularly. This adapter fits in the battery compartment and lets you use 9 rechargeable AA batteries in place of the 3 D-sized batteries you use in a regular Mag 3D light. These adapters are well made. There are cheaper plastic adapters, each of which are the size of a 3D battery and each which hold 3 AA batteries (so you have to use 3 of them), but dont use these unless you have to (IMO).

Lastly, get 9 rechargeable NiMH AA batteries and a charger. I use Titanium brand batteries from www.amondotech.com, but any brand will do. You can use the 2100mAh or 2500mAh flavor or whatever floats your boat. Charge them, place them in Fivemega's adapter, and dont stick them in the light for 12-24 hours. You have to wait in order for the voltage to drop. If you dont wait and use freshly charged batteries, you can fry the bulb. Dont over discharge these as its bad for them. Pop them in the charger as soon as the light starts to dim.

One last thing. These things can make smoke at first, which can cloud the lens. So with a brand new potted bulb and/or new light, take the head off of it and turn it on for several minutes. This will cook it nicely and you may see a wisp of smoke for several minutes. It will stop smoking eventually, and then you can put the head back on and use the light.

Alternatively, you can buy these pre-made. I like the flavor CPF member Juancho makes. I think he goes the extra mile by coating the contacts with Pro-Gold and stuff like that to give you a nice light. They are costy, but it saves you the hassle of making one without having seen it first in person. Other folks sell them too.

When done, the Mag85 is extremely bright and is a must have for any real flashlight nutbag. And because it looks like a regular Mag 3D, it will scare bystanders when you turn it on.

cheers

I apologize in advance but I lost the author of the above(someone else has to know), and I was too lazy to cut out the specific sites. Maybe it will help you.

bridgman

Enlightened
Most of what you want can be found in the "Group Buys and Passarounds" forum :

- Hi temp sockets -- https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/132235

- Reflector -- https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/150826 -- fivemega has lenses, reflectors, bulbs etc... here. I think the MOP reflectors are $30 if you don't buy a battery holder. Right now he is out of stock on the NiMH holders but in stock on the Lithium 14500 holders.

Here is the "reflectors only" thread :
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/150395

- Lense -- see above or Bulbs below

- Battery pack for 85 & 623. -- MadMaxabeam's packs are the way to go IMO : https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/150788 . I know he also builds 623s so maybe PM him for those packs (I think they are 12 or 13 smaller cells rather than 9 cells for 1185). MadMaxabeam also builds *really* nice lights -- I bought my Mag85 turnkey from him and couldn't be happier -- so that's another option.

- Bulbs, of course. -- https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/148443 -- bulbs and lenses here. The reflectors are real nice but only medium/heavy stipple in stock right now, you want something between SMOoth and MediumOrangePeel I think and FiveMega has stock right now.

Only other thing you will probably need is a charger. MadMaxabeam's battery packs include charging leads with magnets on the ends, so pick up one of Alin's 6-10 cell "unversal smart chargers" and you're set.

I just finished buying all this stuff and it all seems to work together really well ;)

Last edited:

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome, Goose. In addition to whaat the others have said, keep an eye on AW's group buy for the Li-Ion C cells. You can put three in a Mag 3C for an 1185 and not need the battery holder.

roadie

Enlightened
i am new to modding, and i jus happen to mod my first mag.

am on a 100 watts 12 volts and is using the eneloop for the battery setup.

the eneloop is widely available and can take up to 10 amps, freshly charged voltage at abt 1.4 v

happy modding

goosefraba

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all your support, I tried sending PM's to Kiu but, no response. Most of the items I needed are either closed or stopped production. I may have been to late. Still hoping that I get the items I need.

About Kiu sockets', does anyone have a spare? I want the complete assembly (if possible). A little bit busy, just would like to get it completed for me just to pop it in my maglite. Send email to those interested to sell their spare socket + magswitch: [email protected]