IE 7.0 sensitive to some words!

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need help with this strange issue.
Whenever I search or click on the link that has to do with the word "SPY" for example the Spy flashlight for sale when I click on the link, the whole screen will flash and disappear!
I also notice that the same happens with the word "Tactical".
Can anyone explain why and how to get by this?

Thanks,
Tanasit

Last edited:

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problems only occur when I use the search function or click the hot links to the topic containing those words.

For example, if someone posted FS a spy flashlight, once I click the topic to go to the detail page, the website will just disappear!

NAlamo

Newly Enlightened
Happens to me also - related to server issues not IE7.0 - I'm using IE6 .

goldenlight

Enlightened
Ummm.....trying to be tactful here. Why is the *world* would you be using IE.xx?

Quite a long time ago, the Department of Homeland Security issued a statement to basically all gov't agencies (Federal, state, county, city, etc.) warning that due to the approx 4 gogolplex *known* security problems with IE.xx DON'T USE IT.

Two words: Mozilla Firefox.

It's freeware. There have been several threads here about it.

It's so much better than IE.xx, it's like comparing a Ferri to a Model T Ford.

They may both get you where you want to go, but I personally wouldn't care for a cross country jaunt in a Model T Ford, any more than I would care to accumulate the huge numbers of spyware programs that IE is so efficient at putting on your computer.

Don't get me started on MicroSuck software. I'm just waiting for the first of hundreds (thousands?) of 'patches' for all of the problems that will shortly be discovered is plaguing Vista. Just like previous MicroSuck OS's: bandaids on top of bandaids, hemorrhaging problems...

NAlamo

Newly Enlightened
gl - point taken . Clarification *for that post* and *for that search* *I* used IExx . Firefox does the same action as tanasit asked about , I was just trying to show that the "white-out" that was asked about was not IExx related and should have clarified better was not just a browser issue -but a server issue . What other people use for their browser is their own business even though there are better safer alternatives . I'd actually prefer OS X and Safari (but I'm sure even that has it's own quirks and detractors) .

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't happen to me. You are probably using one of the cleverly disguised CIA servers. Are you on their no fly list :D

NAlamo

Newly Enlightened
eluminator said:
It doesn't happen to me. You are probably using one of the cleverly disguised CIA servers. Are you on their no fly list :D

Worse ! I'm on the "No Idea" list :grin2:

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try Opera web browser. It is for free and in my opinion even better than Firefox.

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, since some suggested that it's the server so I callled my server (Covad DSL) and the tech support setup 2 new connections with renewed configurations as well as refreshed the new line provision and reset the modem.

That did NOT solve the problems! They think it has to do with the firewall which later turned off but no luck, so they asked me to look into my virus protection software!

Any more thought?

If I start using the other browsers, will it retain all my book marks or favorite sites?
Thanks

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firefox will automatically import IE bookmarks/favorites if you hit "Yes" during the install.

Both will be on your machine at the same time, so you can swtich back if you don't like it. Firefox is great. Tabbed browsing.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
OT, but I have never understood the appeal of tabbed browsing.
What's the benefit of tabs within the browser versus tabs on the taskbar?

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
easier to manage, uses less processor

I'll sometimes have 10+ browser windows and a bunch of other programs open and if they were all in the taskbar it would be a huge mess.

NAlamo

Newly Enlightened
tanasit said:
Well, since some suggested that it's the server so I callled my server (Covad DSL) and the tech support setup 2 new connections with renewed configurations as well as refreshed the new line provision and reset the modem.

That did NOT solve the problems! They think it has to do with the firewall which later turned off but no luck, so they asked me to look into my virus protection software!

Any more thought?

If I start using the other browsers, will it retain all my book marks or favorite sites?
Thanks

Not your server . It *is* related to this server though . As is the CPF Wiki whiteout .Alot of the occurances and issues are .Be patient,it's being worked on .

Illum

Flashaholic
something tells me is has something to do with the so-called "parental-controls" build into the settings which may or may not identify certain words.

mmm, funny, never seen that before:ohgeez:

trailblazer

Newly Enlightened
I was having similar problems using netscape v8.1 it started last week. I would do a search and get the white screen of death and about a 5 sec delay on mouse clicks. I tried unloading my virus / firewall with no success, Ran spyware and virus scan to no avail so i thought my computer was dieing. Then tried my laptop same problem so I called my ISP and they said it had to be the computer the only thing in common was Netscape so I tried IE (v. 6.0.2900.xxx) and the problem dissapeared. I use windows XP and the only thing I can think of is that MS updated their OS and now incompatabilitys have arisen. Maybe intentional maybe not. ???

NAlamo

Newly Enlightened
Erasmus said:
Try Opera web browser. It is for free and in my opinion even better than Firefox.

Just for S's-n-G's I downloaded Opera(closed source) - not bad . It's very much like Firefox(open sourced) except in a bundled package and just as customizable . Thank You for the idea - I now have No excuse to use IExx at all :sold:

Empath

Flashaholic
NAlamo said:
Not your server . It *is* related to this server though . As is the CPF Wiki whiteout .Alot of the occurances and issues are .Be patient,it's being worked on .

You give CPF too much credit, or blame. CPF doesn't maintain or host the Wiki. Other than a link, we have nothing to do with it.

NAlamo

Newly Enlightened
Probably too much credit as I haven't been here long enough to blame anyone/thing . I've seen the same 'type' of problems on other forums and the problem goes away with server upgrades . just sayin ...no harm no foul, when it gets fixed I'll finish my reading .

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I downloaded and installed Firefox.....no go :mad:

Still acts exactly like the IE 7.0 xx. I tested this by going to the Mod B/S/T and click on the thread that a member CPF sells a SPY005 #0008, then blank out. I also search the word "spy led" in Google bar, again white out!:rant:

I am thinking of looking into my Norton Anti-Virus setup or ???

Thanks for all suggestions though.

Just tried disabling the auto-protect feature of Norton, still no go. :mad: :mad: