The best EDC single 123 flashlight? Anyone?

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
I was trying to think of the best EDC single 123 flashlight and I think it has to be the P1D CE for size, bightness and runtime. Anyone have any idea if any other flashlight is better either a clikie or twisty?:candle:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
In terms of build quality, beam quality, aesthetics...I personally like my McLux III PD-S with my HDS U60 XRGT not far behind.

The HDS has a better user interface IMO. I don't like cycling through SOS and Stobe levels. I also like the ability to change my preset light levels. The HDS feels very robust and is very tough. I don't know if the P1D CE could take the same abuse as an HDS. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/123314&highlight=HDS+pummeled

I love the simplicity of the PD-S. Two light levels that are perfect for all my needs and again like the HDS very tough. Even though there are not as many PD's as there are P1D CE's out there I think you would be hard pressed to find any complaints of a PD (or any McLux Light for that matter) malfunctioning or not meeting the owners satisfaction.

I know the P1D CE is less expensive and brighter (for now) but I did not find the quality anywhere near my PD-S or U60. I actually returned the P1D CE I bought because the loose thread caused inadvertent activation of the high level when using it one handed. I am not a white wall hunter but I also did not care for the beam quality. Don't get me wrong I like Fenix lights but the P1D CE could not compare with my PD or U60. "Best EDC single 123 flashlight" is subjective but there are many who would agree that either the PD-S or the U60 is better. Of course there are likely many P1D CE owners who would disagree but then again they probably don't own a McLux or an HDS. :) :nana:

BladeDogg

Newly Enlightened
I would go and take a look at Bombelman's ARC LS mods. WOW is the only word I can say. :goodjob:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am putting another vote in for the McLuxIII-PD. I have carried mine almost everyday of it's life. The only light to bump it out of my pocket here and there for EDC, was my HDS U60. I think those two have to the BEST out there. Niether of them is the brightest, or smallest, they just do everything really well :)

mightysparrow

Enlightened
Hmmm..."Best" could mean many things. The best overall quality of the 1x123's I personally own has to be the HDS U60. The versatility in having many different light output levels, the build quality, the performance, and the protection of the titanium bezel and vinyl cushion covers on the bezel and tailcap, all combine to make it the best I own.

The best value for cost that I own in a 1x123: the G&P 1x123 light I bought on ebay for a total of $26 (incl. shipping). Bright, very small, built reasonably well, pretty nice beam quality and tint, except for one minor artifact in the beam.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:
I really like my Vinet, from Dealextreme

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.725

I'll second that. I liked mine so much that I bought another. At ~ $14, it's hard to pass up. Very wide spill, which is great for lighting up a room...plus a bright hot spot with decent throw for outside. Perfect balance in my opinion. Feels great in the hand, and simple tail click operation...click for high, click again for low, click again for off. Low on the Vinet is just like having a typical single AA light on high. High on the Vinet is very bright, not as bright as the P1D CE, but pretty darn bright.

warpdrive

Enlightened
I'd have to say my HDS U60GT is the best single 123 light

It is built like a brick, and once programmed to your liking, it has easy and one hand access to all the normal modes (high, med, low, ultra low) and a hold- button momentary mode. It is fully regulated with automatic step down and thermal protected. It takes rechargeables, and the size is very pocketable but still big enough for comfortable hold. With the F04 diffuser it's a great little close up floodlight.

I have other lights with more "WOW" factor, like my new D-Mini which is just fun to use and throws a serious punch, or my P1 which is super tiny, or my L4 which floods like no other, but the HDS is the one to beat in terms of a combination of reliability, and everyday usefulness.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS EDC series has to be a contender for the best Single 123 Flashlight.
Ability to use RCR123s as well as CR123s. Ruler flat regulation. Great construction, and great UI. Customizable, easy to upgrade. Great feature set such as user protection as well as protecting itself from damage.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying an HDS Basic 42GT for about a year. Nothing to complain about. I'd like a version with a Seoul LED as long as the tint was perfect. Then you could have the crazy high high setting, then about 15 lumens for the primary setting, 5 lumens for the secondary setting and the very lowest possible setting for the low.

I got the Basic both because it was on clearance at the time and I did not want the strobe or SOS modes.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I'll be another one to chime in for the HDS EDC B42. I got mine on special for $90 (US) which is a steal considering the incredible quality and thoughtful design.

alanagnostic

Enlightened
HDS EDC 42 or 60. One of them goes with me everywhere I go. The only one that will probably replace it is the new 120 lumen model...but who knows when they will show up.:popcorn::popcorn: I really love the McLux that I have but the HDS is just soooo useful. With a titanium or stainless bezel they are nearly indestructible. Fantastic lights...especially if you got them on sale a while back.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going with the A19 Cree XR-E from the Shoppe. Huge, fat, beautiful hot spot, and a ton of light pushing it.

Also looking forward to the Novatac U120 or whatever its called, and the Arc LS in 2011 (just a guess :)).

cheers

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, price was not mentioned in the title thread, but it has to be said that in proposing a McGizmo PD-S creation in this category the posters who did it are comparing a light that goes for $70 (the Fenix P1D CE) with one that goes for $440.

As to the HDS, I can see (from the reviews, as I do not own one!) that HDS was a strong contender at one point in time, but it is also the case that is has not been updated in quite a bit of time while technology has been advancing strongly, so by now it is behind in terms of light output and runtime.

Some also seem to really like having a tremendous amount of light output choices, which is fine, but again seems for most people and most realistic uses to be unnecessary.

You wouldn't say a car was the best because it has CVT (continuous variable transmission) rather than a typical automatic transmission (with between 4-6 gears) I don't think, so also I don't think that it should be a huge factor that a light has 15 or 30 modes vs. one that has 5. 5 modes is plenty.

Finally, even though HDS may be a very tough light, there is plenty of lights that are plenty tough for most realistic uses. (and if we are talking unrealistic uses, why not then the glo-toob which can dive to 11,000 feet? and which will come out in 1xCR123A formfactor in April)?

Anyway, the SF L1 is also a reasonable contender on the toughness factor and once updated with a CREE will have a very good performance plus runtime. While the P1D CE has not been shown to be a weakling! Mine has come in perfect condition, no threads problems or anything, and is a tiny pocket rocket. With a HA-III anodized aluminium, it should be plenty tough for most realistic challenges.

So, plenty of good choices here, depending on your wallet and preference for complications! But the HDS seems a bit oversold.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trust me the HDS is not oversold and you wouldn't say that if you had one. It doesn't have 30 modes. It's got 4 but you pick the brightness for those 4 modes out of 20 brightless levels.

The light is tough, and since you brought up Modifying a light to update it you should look at the people putting SSC emitters in them to get anywhere from 100-150lm from them and having at least 30 mins runtime on maximum brightness.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
tebore said:
Trust me the HDS is not oversold and you wouldn't say that if you had one. It doesn't have 30 modes. It's got 4 but you pick the brightness for those 4 modes out of 20 brightless levels.

The light is tough, and since you brought up Modifying a light to update it you should look at the people putting SSC emitters in them to get anywhere from 100-150lm from them and having at least 30 mins runtime on maximum brightness.

agreed, I do not own the HDS so obviously what I say is an opinion based on others' reviews. So I do respect what you say which is based on actual experience. A light is a good light if it fits your needs, so the HDS IS a good light from that point of view!

but: I did not bring up modifying a light - I think if we start talking about mods then the sky is the limit; for this kind of comparison, we need to stick to either mass manufactured lights or ones that are made by companies or people that are pros and have been doing it for a while and are still in business.

all the lights I mentioned are already being mass produced or we have excellent data that they WILL be produced reasonably soon - on the SF L1 with the CREE we know from the 2007 SF catalog which was distributed during the 2007 SHOT SHOW; on the lithium glo-toob I got an email from the manufacturer mentioning the April date; etc.

for the 30 minutes runtime you mention - maybe you dont' realize that the P1D CE has a 1 hour runtime on max output (135 lumens) and a 2.8 hour output on primary (72 lumens)? Which primary output is bigger than the normally available HDS top output? This is what I meant when I said the HDS is technologically behind the times.

Again, don't take me wrong, my comment on the HDS was when answering a hypothetical "which is the best EDS...etc." question in this thread, so it becomes an issue of what matters and which flashlight can deliver that which matters. The HDS can be a perfect light for you and yet not be chosen given the criteria.