Could this light be built? M3 + Driver board + Seoul

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this daydream of putting together a completely insane light. It starts with M3-CB. Then I get one of those DIY- tower modules that were for sale a while ago.(Are they still?) I'd also have to somehow make sure it would work with the Seoul and the M3 head/reflector assembly. Then the driver board. I'd like to have one that would allow me to have all sorts of SICK features. I'd like a low (about 5-6 lumens), Primary setting, say 500mah and then a Max setting which should be a crazy 1amp or so. Then I'd LOVE to have a fast seizure-inducing strobe setting and SOS. I'd like the tower module to be optimized for throw with the M3 reflector. I don't know what kind of driver board could do all that, but thats' why I'm asking. Would that be a SICK light?

Some people might say just get a L6 and swap a Seoul but its bigger and I wouldn't have all the features I'd like. Any way I could build this light?

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds workable KDOG3, let us know the outcome. Any targets on the lumens your light going to generate?

All the best.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've thought about using the M3 head as well with a tower module. The reflector hole would need to be opened up to allow the turbo head module to fit and I believe the module itself would need to be shortened to give proper focus. If you go ahead with this please keep us all posted as I've read about others wanting to mod an M3 head. The features you speak of sound awesome!
Good Luck!

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interrested as well in this mod. The M3 is a very well built and balanced host!

Just one thing : how can the reflector be opened? If I don't mistake, taking the reflector out of the head means openning the head itself.

This will not be especially easy with the locking compound. Mac has reported that heating the head with a heatgun until you cannot touch it anymore and then unscrewing the bezel ring while it's still hot is how he did for a recent tri-XR-E mod.

Also, if you consider doing this, you need a backup mod project if you mess the reflector itself. I have no idea where you could find replacement for the reflector alone, and the head assembly is $60.

Please keep us posted on how this comes out!

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
That site is Katokichi's homepage, the man behind the original Turbohead Module.

Perhaps drop ARCMania a PM, as he seems to be the only guy selling this stuff here (Ryoichi used to be a CPF'er, but doesnt come anymore).

Im pretty sure the reflector hole wont need widening, as the MN10/11 share the dimensions as the turbohead lamps *except* for the length.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually the MN10 & MN11 are shorter and the opening in the reflector is smaller. Only the bulb fits through NOT the Bulbs Base. It is indeed smaller than the turbohead Arcmania module.
The MN10&11 are shorter that say the MN 20-21

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I just put a couple of lights up for sale (kinda painful!) So lets get crackin'? What driver board would I need for this thing?

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
What driver you are using depends on what batt configuration you want. In an M3 body, I believe the converter will have to buck the voltage from ??? down to approx 3.5V of the led.

Using a tower module in an M3 sounds completely doable, but as far as I can see, you will need to :
- open the reflector (I would personnally ask someone experienced with doing this, well equiped with a lathe). As it would be difficult to source a new reflector separately, you don't want to mess it... Be sure of what you're doing.
- shorten the tower pedestral
- might need to make the holes for the wires again

It seems possible that the pedestral surface where the LED will sit will have a hole in the middle, but using AA I doubt it will really make a difference.

The other option is to ask some lathe people to machine a tower module from scratch, but then you will have to source the other parts of AW's TM kit (springs etc).

I saw AW stated he had no plan to make an M3 TM kit available... that's shame I would have been interrested :(

Good luck!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
My questions/answers in bold.

tino_ale said:
What driver you are using depends on what batt configuration you want. In an M3 body, I believe the converter will have to buck the voltage from ??? down to approx 3.5V of the led.
I would be using primaries or 2 - 17500/18500s'

Using a tower module in an M3 sounds completely doable, but as far as I can see, you will need to :
- open the reflector (I would personnally ask someone experienced with doing this, well equiped with a lathe). As it would be difficult to source a new reflector separately, you don't want to mess it... Be sure of what you're doing.
Why would I need to open the reflector?
- shorten the tower pedestral Hmm I could do that.
- might need to make the holes for the wires again
I was thinking of making an aluminum shim/spacer to back the module out of the reflector the required distance.

It seems possible that the pedestral surface where the LED will sit will have a hole in the middle, but using AA I doubt it will really make a difference.

The other option is to ask some lathe people to machine a tower module from scratch, but then you will have to source the other parts of AW's TM kit (springs etc).

I saw AW stated he had no plan to make an M3 TM kit available... that's shame I would have been interrested :(

Good luck!

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you cut down the existing turbohead module, the LED slug would be sitting over a hole as the module is hollow.

Thermal epoxy is nowhere near as conductive as metal, and i think you would run into heat management problems pretty darn quick.

I think you really need to get the modules machined from scratch.

Like tino says, best of luck, id be interested in a couple too.