P1D-CE goes Seoul and Mcr20s & some converter measurements (now w/ pics & beamshots!)

Nereus

Enlightened
P1D-CE goes Seoul and Mcr20s & some converter measurements (now w/ pics & beamshots!)

I modded my P1D-CE with Seoul P4 u-bin led and changed reflector to McR20s. The reflector was definitely not a drop-in, I had to mod it roughly to McR18 size. Finally perfect beam, no rings, no artifacts at all, bright hotspot and nice spill :) To me it looks like the lumens increased, too. I also got rid of the gap between the flaslight head and body.

Now that I had the light disassemblied I took some measurements on the converter. All measurements after the seoul swap with my Fluke 111 DMM, fresh Duracell primary cell used. All input voltages measured under load. It is good to remember that DMM always introduces some series resistance so my input current measurements are slight overestimates. Output current measurements are not affected by this because this is constant current converter. The results are here:

Converter output:

low: 75 mA / 2,84 V / 0,213 W
med: 314 mA / 3,12 V / 0,980 W
high: 715 mA / 3,32 V / 2,374 W

Converter input (last column is efficiency):

low: 91 mA / 2,85 V / 0,259 W / 82,2%
med: 407 mA / 2,73 V / 1,111 W / 88,2%
high: 1190 mA / 2,40 V / 2,856 W / 83,1%

The converter is doing pretty good job, especially the mid-level efficiency is very good! I was a bit surprised by these results, IIRC someone measured that the converter takes almost 2 amps at high mode.

Let's see if I will post some fotos in future... I have no experience on that, yet.

-N

Last edited:

bray

Newly Enlightened
Re: P1D-CE goes Seoul and Mcr20s & some converter measurements

how did u get into the head?!

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast

good job! pics?

Nereus

Enlightened

bray said:
how did u get into the head?!
Have a look on unscrewed head. The converter+led unit has threads that go in to the head. Simply unscrew it from the head bezel. You will need moderate force because the threads are glued. Once you get the converter+led unit out, you will see the flat back side of the reflector unit. That is also threaded and it has some glue in the threads so again some force is needed. There are two 2 mm holes on both sides of the reflector back side. Screw small screws to them and use needle nose pliers to unscrew the reflector unit out.

Be careful that you don't drop the lense when unscrewing the reflector and remember to keep the same side facing out. And no fingerprints! :)

I do not know how to post pics… But I guess it is time for me to learn that!

-N

Nereus

Enlightened

Ok, took some fotos of the mod:

P2230343.jpg

It was surprisingly hard to get the emitter centered because the reflector hole is much bigger than the led dome. Partial success, I would say:

P2230347.jpg

I got rid if the gap, too. :D You can't make it smaller, otherwise you won't be able to turn the light on.

P2230340-1.jpg

-N

Last edited:

Nereus

Enlightened
Re: P1D-CE goes Seoul and Mcr20s & some converter measurements (now w/ pics!)

Here is beamshot @ high:

P2250335.jpg

Before the mod there was a very visible ring and very greenish tint. Now the beam is close to perfect, imho... :D BTW, that's not white wall hunting, that's white ceiling hunting :)

-N

boef800

Newly Enlightened
Re: P1D-CE goes Seoul and Mcr20s & some converter measurements (now w/ pics & beamsho

the McR20S really makes a beautiful beam he?I've put one with a seoul into my HDS U60,and find it the best beam I've experienced so far in a flashlight.

Alex

Senses

Newly Enlightened
Re: P1D-CE goes Seoul and Mcr20s & some converter measurements (now w/ pics & beamsho

That's what Fenix should have come out with in the first place. damn, now if only I can get the head opened. Where do you grab to open the head, the threads?

Nereus

Enlightened

Senses said:
That's what Fenix should have come out with in the first place. damn, now if only I can get the head opened. Where do you grab to open the head, the threads?
Be careful that you don't accidentally ruin the threads with pliers. They are made of surprisingly sensitive and soft aluminium. Use some cloth to cover the threads... I used Maglite 2AA nylon holster :D

-N

Senses

Newly Enlightened

So you actually used a holster and a pair of pliers to open it? I used all my mighty finger force and of course, it didn't move a bit :laughing:

Nereus

Enlightened

Senses said:
So you actually used a holster and a pair of pliers to open it? I used all my mighty finger force and of course, it didn't move a bit :laughing:
I had a quick look on my pale and skinny hand and did not even try! :D

Yes, I wrapped the holster around the threads and used pliers. :)

-N

Nereus

Enlightened
Re: P1D-CE goes Seoul and Mcr20s & some converter measurements (now w/ pics & beamshot!)

I have got surprisingly lot of positive feedback of this mod - thanks for everyone for that! :eek:

Now I feel that it is best to answer the most commonly asked questions publicly:
- Sorry guys, I am not going to sell this... This is going to remain my own pocket rocket for the time being :)
- I am sorry to let you down, but I can not build you a similar kind of mod. It is not because I would not want to do that - I simply have no time (too many mods in my "pipeline" for friends, family members and work collegues who have gone mad after seeing what modern hipo leds can do :green: ).

I suggest that people interested in this mod will build their own - I am sure you can do that. :thumbsup: This is mid-level complicated mod to build - not easy but not incredibly hard either. If I will have time I will support modders by posting a step-by-step pictured tutorial how to change the led and reflector. Unfortunately I did not take any pics of the modding process so I guess I have to disassembly the light again... :stupid: Meanwhile you can PM me or post your modding questions to this thread.

And once again, thanks for your interest in my mod! :D

-N

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: P1D-CE goes Seoul and Mcr20s & some converter measurements (now w/ pics & beamshot!)

great mod Nereus!

so on the high setting the converter is 83.1% efficient? that's really good!

you mentioned the lumens might have increased after the mod, are your runtimes the same?

thanks!

Nereus

Enlightened

THE_dAY said:
great mod Nereus!

so on the high setting the converter is 83.1% efficient? that's really good!

you mentioned the lumens might have increased after the mod, are your runtimes the same?

thanks!

I did not measure runtimes when the Cree was still there. But Cree XR-E and Seoul P4 are electrically very close to each other because both use CREE EZ1000 die. This means that the runtime should have remained the same. If you want you can easily calculate the runtimes based on the input currents above.

Remember that the experienced increase in lumens in just a "feeling". Unfortunately I have no equipment to measure this.

-N

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks Nereus, and good job on shortening the gap between head and body, the closer the fit the better!.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great mod !

DM51

Flashaholic

Nereus, that is very interesting work and the result looks very good. I think it is the first time anyone has replaced a Cree XR-E with a SSC P4.

I think we would all be very interested to see your modded Seoul P1D-CE in a side-by-side shootout with an unmodded XR-E one (if you can get hold of one for test purposes). Is there any chance of you managing to do that and get some beamshot comparison photos to post here?

Nereus

Enlightened

Thanks for the positive feedback! :) I am sorry that I have only one P1D-CE, the modded one. But I took a side by side beamshot of a standard Mag 2D and modded P1D-CE @high:

P3030342.jpg

Nice, isn't it :D

-N

Last edited:

JRNioa

Newly Enlightened

Wow! That's awesome, I am a novice but really want to mod my PD1 CE with the SEOUL LED. Can you provide instructions, detailed? I would even pay you for them! [email protected] Thank you!

Latest posts