Who else drives barefoot?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do. ;)
It somehow lets me stay awake and alert when driving any out of town distances.
Even when it's as cold as 20 degrees outside, I still wear sandals that are easy to kick off while driving.
This includes anything that I drive, whether it's a small pickup truck, or a 24 foot bobtail truck.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've done it a few times and it felt weird braking, accelerating.. i guess because i'm used to driving with shoes on.

i agree, it definitely made me more alert since i had to pay extra attention to how different it felt.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
You sir, are weird!

To me it just seems unsafe. And your feet get dirty! Driving a clutch doesn't sound like fun either barefoot! :D

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really can't stand to drive barefoot. My ex-wife used to like to drive barefoot when we were in high school. I guess I just never felt as connected to the car while barefoot... which I guess doesn't make a lick of sense.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Illegal in Australia
You must wear appropriate footwear - no thongs, bare feet, clogs
(shoes with soles thicker than 3cm) or shoes without heel support.
Norm

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Norm said:
Illegal in Australia

You must wear appropriate footwear - no thongs, bare feet, clogs
(shoes with soles thicker than 3cm) or shoes without heel support.

Norm

so no boots while driving? All my boots have soles close to that thickness. Does that mean my shoescan be call "clogs" 3 cm is about 1.2 inches if I remmebr correctly.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
fredflintstonedrivingaroundwithbaldfeet.gif

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
While not for any of the reasons that you drive barefoot, it's a good way for a person to get a good feel for the accelerator. Having a person drive barefoot is a good way to learn to accelerate smoothly and to learn to drive for maximum fuel economy.

3rd_shift said:
I do. ;)
It somehow lets me stay awake and alert when driving any out of town distances.
Even when it's as cold as 20 degrees outside, I still wear sandals that are easy to kick off while driving.
This includes anything that I drive, whether it's a small pickup truck, or a 24 foot bobtail truck.

goldenlight

Enlightened
MY bet would be that it's illegal in most, if not all, states in the USA, to drive barefoot.

Sandals are also illegal for driving in many states; the logic being that in a panic situation, you could get the edge of a sandal caught on a pedal, and be unable to respond to the situation. Makes sense to me. But then, I never wear sandals, nor have any urge whatsoever to drive barefoot, so it's a non issue for me.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who else drives barefoot?

Take out the R & V and you've got your result.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to admit that I never would have guessed it was illegal in so many locations. :thinking:
Especially when safety is the issue.
Most people I have talked with who drive long distances say it works better for staying alert and maintaining a good "grip" on the pedals.
This has been my experience too, on my daily 400+ mile delivery runs. :shrug: