Modded L0P-SE *vs* Stock L0D-CE

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is mostly a LED comparision, not a review :whistle:

The L0P-SE has the stock driver and a Seoul P4 U-Bin emitter upgrade. (And an added pocket clip)

The L0D-CE is stock, just received it today. Please note that it has a reflector that is supposed to be optimized for a Cree XR-E Emitter.

Here are comparison pictures for your consideration.

Sides.jpg

Emitters.jpg

LOW MODE, Auto Exposure:
L0P-SE-SSCLovsL0D-CELo.jpg

LOW MODE, 2 Stops Underexposed:
L0P-SE-SSCLovsL0D-CELo_2U.jpg

MED MODE, Auto Exposure:
L0P-SE-SSCMedvsL0D-CEMed.jpg

MED MODE, 2 Stops Underexposed:
L0P-SE-SSCMedvsL0D-CEMed_2U.jpg

HIGH MODE, Auto Exposure:
L0P-SE-SSCHivsL0D-CEHi.jpg

HIGH MODE, 2 Stops Underexposed:
L0P-SE-SSCHivsL0D-CEHi_2U.jpg

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if it's noticeable in the pictures, but the difference in overall beam size is significant. The narrower reflector and recessed emitter on the Cree light really diminishes the spill of the light.

NAlamo

Newly Enlightened
going back through your other comparisons , it almost "seems" like the difs between a Lux and a Seoul .

Spordin

Enlightened
Paul, I'm not sure what your thoughts are. The Seoul is obviously whiter and seems to have a very nice spot, but the LOD seems to have more spill? Since I'm not going to mod an LOP, what are your thoughts on the LOD? The Cree ring doesn't bother me and doesn't seem like it would be noticeable in real use. I'd like to hear your opinion of the LOD, whether you think it's worth the price, yaddayadda.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LOD-CE has more medium spill, but a sharp cutoff. Waving it around the house isn't an issue, but if taken for a walk I'd bet I would be disappointed by the lack of spill at my feet due to the reflector shape. I think it's worth the price, and the dark ring section won't be a big deal in everyday use.

On a white wall, both these flashlights have a "disappointing" tint variation in the spot that is not reproduced by the camera. But again, consider it a white-wall issue only. I've seen a textured reflector clean that right up. Would I prefer a textured reflector in the L0D-CE? Probably not. It has good throw. I definitely prefer a textured beam in brighter flashlights, but for the L0D-CE I can live without it.

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing to note is the much improved finish and knurling of the L0D, I think Fenix is doing better at their surface finish. Take a look at the pictures, you'll see what I mean.

Spordin

Enlightened
Thanks for the input. When it comes to 1xAAA lights, I can live with a few "shortcomings" considering how small they are and how bright they've gotten. Hard to beat the package, all things considered.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, my opinion is this is the best AAA light you can buy off the shelf right now.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the tint and beam profile of the SSC P4 light better. Any chance you would be interested in modding my LOD luxIII with an SSC P4? Send me a PM if interested :)