Shaving Razors..??

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Ok since I like the bald look I shave my entire head daily before work and it is getting very expensive buying better quality razors by the 12 pack. I recently saw a TV add offering a razor called the Infinity that claimed to never need to be replaced. It was said to have some form of tungsten infused blades or something like that and stated they would remain shaving sharp for life.

I know this is most likely bull crap however anyone use this razor or anything like it? I have little faith in electric razors as I much prefer blades so any suggestions on a razor would be appreciated. Currently I use the Schick Tracers that flex however they are about 15 dollars a pack of 6 I believe. I can get maybe 2 or 3 shaves from one razor and am looking for a better razor.

The razor I saw is the one in the below link....anyone know anything about this razor??

http://www.theinfinityrazor.com/default.asp?bhcp=1

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having the "As Seen on TV" logo on it was all I needed to see. I'll bet that they'll also tell you that it's "not available in stores", but they leave out the part about no store willing to carry it.

And if you get one of those come-on's like "If you're one of the first xxx callers, we'll throw in another one free" you can be sure that they are packaged in two-packs.

I think you can be pretty much assured that the company will have gone south before you ever get a chance to submit a claim to them.

Have you considered using a straight razor? That's about the only long term solution that seems believable. Don't know if the razors that use replaceable cartridges would be any more cost effective.

Last edited:

analogguy

Enlightened
I've been shaving the coconut for years now. Started off with blades then went to electric razors. Best so far is a Panasonic linear. Bought a 8000 series Braun thinking it might do a better job...It is overpriced, does not shave as close as the Panasonic, is not a wet/dry shaver, and cleaning solution is getting expensive.

BR549

Newly Enlightened
I went through a phase of head shaving - stopped once several folks pointed out that I strongly resembled a cross of Curley from the Three Stooges and a mental patient. In any case I used the Mach 3 blades and kept them in alcohol while not in use. The alcohol prevented rust from dulling the blades and they lasted 10 times longer. Just put about an inch of alcohol in an old toothbrush cup and kept it there between uses.

Robocop

If the alcohol thing really helps I will surely try it and thanks for the tip....

I am very lucky to have small ears so I can pull off the shaved head look pretty well and after years of shaving my head it has became easy to do now. I do not have sensitive skin at all and having a comfortable shave is easy no matter what style of razor I use however I was hoping for a miracle of a lifetime razor......I guess the old saying is true that if it looks too good to be true it most always is.

Brighteyez I have only had a straigh razor shave once in my life and it was only on my face with a barber doing it for me....I have to say that was the best shave I have ever had but I really do not see myself having enough patience to shave my entire head with one....especially the back where I cant see very well.

With a standard razor I can shave my head in the dark by now so I am wanting to stick with the type I have used for years. I have tried the MachIII as well as all the other multi blade designs like the Quattro and personally I find the Shick Tracer I use now to work best for me.....So I guess the group opinion is that this Infinity razor is a scam??

Thanks for the input and my quest continues.....maybe I could just do that laser hair removal on my old head for more permanent results...hehe

Robocop

Oh and DUQ I have heard of those head razors and if I remember correct it is curved and fits in the palm of your hand. It is supposed to be used in a motion like you were simply wiping your head or something natural and it is said to give a good shave.

I have never used one however know a few who have and they said it was not as easy to control as a standard razor with a handle. It is said to be harder to get to the small places like behind the ears and the guys I know who used one gave up after a few days....maybe I will try one just to see.

Robocop

Sorry but I have a correction as I actually had the name of the current razors I use wrong....The ones I shave with now are the Schick Xtreme III disposable razors and so far are the best I have found.

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Personally i use one called Gilette Mac3 (the green one) and found that they last the longest and give a decent shave.

You will find the best blades in non-disposable range, and the best is the old school single blade double ended rasor

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been DE (double edge) razor since I started shaving 19years ago. I have tried other razors but always went back to the DE. You can have a good razor and still receive a lowsy shave. Pre shave prep is the key. Using qualtiy products and a brush make even more enjoyable. Crappy product=crappy shave.

Arkayne

Enlightened
My 20 blade wonder might do the trick.

fission.jpg

MoonRise

Enlightened
A blade that never needs sharpening and remains razor-shaving-sharp forever?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahohohohohohohohohohohahahahahahahahahahaha

There is no such thing.

A good straight razor, freshly stropped, wielded by a competent hand, will give you about the BEST shave ever. But there is razor upkeep and handling with that approach.

A disposable razor is made to be cheap and hence disposable. Better usually costs more.

I don't shave my head, but I recently got a freebie Gillette Fusion 5-blade handle+blade in the mail. I previously used the Mach3 to shave with, as it was about the best for me. Previous to that I used twin blade Gillette and Schick razors and I moved from those up to the three blades because the three-blade Mach3 did give a better shave for me.

When the Fusion first came out, I looked at the price of blades and said no way, 3 blades should be fine for me. Then I got the freebie Fusion and tried it. Darn Gillette, the expensive 5-blade Fusion WAS better.

Look over in the Gadget section of CPF for a thread about the Fusion and my and other folks thought and opinions.

Quick summary, I bought more Fusion blades.

swampgator

Enlightened
I can't remember where I read this, but I remember seeing something that said if you rotate out the blades and allow them to rest between use you'll get more mileage out of them.

Never been a big deal for me since I only shave about once a week. An eight pack of razor blades (gillete mach 3) lasts me about a year or so.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understand entirely. I used one for a short while, and never felt comfortable using it, even though I only had small cuts that were no different that what I would have encountered with a safety razor (we had these things called double edged blades that went into those razors back in the dark ages.) Insofar as the straight razor, I think I'd have felt more comfortable with a scalpel in my hand (smaller blade :) ).

Robocop said:
I have only had a straigh razor shave once in my life and it was only on my face with a barber doing it for me....I have to say that was the best shave I have ever had but I really do not see myself having enough patience to shave my entire head with one....especially the back where I cant see very well.

bitslammer

Enlightened
I think that the only thing that dulls the blades on disposable razors is in fact rusting/oxidizing. It may even be so minute that you can't see it with the naked eye. Aside from that your hair and skin would in no way be able to dull a metal blade. They just aren't hard enough. Now maybe if you had sand all over your face you might dull them but I doubt that's a problem.

I do electric now but when I used a blade the best I found were the old style Platinum/Chrome blades that go in the old style razors that screw open and shut. Couple that with the old style shaving soap in a mug with a brush and it was clean as a whistle.

I tried every make of disposable out there but under advice of my trusted barber went to the old style. His belief, and it was true for me, was that more blades actually caused more irritation. There's also a lot of chemicals in the newer creams/foams that can irritate.

I found if I carefully rinsed, cleaned, and let the blade dry after each use it would last a good month or more and seemed less wasteful as I only needed to replace a thin blade. It was certainly cheaper too by a huge factor. I think adual pack of razor blades was under $3. One lasted me for months.

Last edited:

Robocop

Believe it or not I have just been reading a forum found on a search that is about nothing else than shaving your head....haha I learned alot that I did not know. Many over there agree that the lifetime razor is crap however do agree that blade material does make a huge difference.

The general rule I found is that pre-shave prep is just as important as the style razor used. Good cream or oil along with hot water soaking prior to shaving will lead to a smoother shave. I could not find anything about soaking the blades in alcohol to prevent rust however in theory it sounds like it could help.

To sum it up I really never have a problem with razor burn or irritation and can get a good smooth shave almost everytime with almost any razor. I was simply having a problem with my razors lasting very long and thought the lifetime razor seemed too good to be true. On a side note it could be because I shave my head and face every single day as well as most of my entire body(I know too much info but) so maybe my razors are really doing pretty well and I am looking for something that does not exist.

Anyway this has been a good read and I appreciate all the input

MoonRise

Enlightened
Oh yeah, pre-shave prep before shaving makes a HUGE difference.

Wash to get rid of skin oils etc and to start getting some moisture into the hair to soften it a bit. Warm/hot water works best from the cleaning AND the moisture standpoint. Then a good shaving cream/gel/oil/whatever to lubricate the skin and get some more moisture into the hair. Then shave with a good sharp razor.

Shaving right after or in the hot shower works well, because the heat and moisture helps to soften the hair. A lot. IIRC, a dry human hair being shaved has about the strength of a sapphire or copper fiber to the blade edge. When the hair has been softened in hot water, the strength goes -way- down and the blades last longer and the shave is better. That old-time barber routine of putting the hot wet towel on the face for a few minutes was/is a way of getting the heat and moisture into the hair. But it's kind of hard to hold a hot wet towel onto your face while standing, it works better if you are in a reclining barber's chair. :grin2:

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Most of the companies offering those TV promos of products with lifetime warrantys and replacement, money back guarantees forever, etc., know that most people won't bother pursuing claims, and will probably lose or throw away the documentation needed to do so. After the sales start drying up from their current promo campaign they usually fold up and start up a new company with another offer.