Clicky vs. Twisty - which is really more reliable? + thoughts on new design

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The great Clicky vs. Twisty debate. I don't know if a particular thread has been dedicated to this before but I've seen hundreds of references to it here on CPF. It's usually something like 'twisty is more reliable than a clicky switch'. Or twisties are reliable but I really want a tactical clicky or momentary on switch. IMO I have NEVER bought the concept that twisties are more reliable. While I like them on some lights just for their uniqueness if I had the choice I'd probably have a clicky on almost everything BUT not like the clickies that are currently in most lights. The HDS EDC line switches and the Eternalight switches are the only two I consider currently as 'good switches' but they are both controlling circuitry and not the light directly. Before I get into what I think should be in use on lights for a clicky I first want to say a few things about WHY I think clickies are better.
1. Think of the switch on you computer mouse that you click all the time or game pad switches. They can easily do a million clicks before wearing out.
2. Twisties wear out the threads on your lights grinding away at the aluminum threads.
3. Then there is always the possible cross threading that can occur with a twisty - example here: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=153544
4. With some twisty setups they put undue pressure on a PCB which can break it but more often wear it's thin tracing material out long before a switch would wear out.
5. They require more cleaning and maintenance - which if not done can lead to intermittent turn on or flickering and low power getting to the LED.
6. A well designed clicky is not rocket science and I know they can be made super reliable, tiny and easily handle the few watts going through them.
A typical toggle switch you can buy at a hardware store or electrical supply is often rated 250 VAC at 15 amps. That's 3,750 watts! I've seen switches like this with that are no bigger than the tip of my finger. We only need a switch that for most LED lights can handle maybe 50 to 100 watts at the very most. In most cases more like 5 or 10 watts for our tiny twisty lights (which I absolutely have no doubt can be made with a tiny clicky that will not at more than 1/16" to the length of most twisties).
When I lived in California there was a huge surplus electronics store that had hundreds of kinds of switches and I've seen switches in there that I'm sure would have worked but I really think that one could be designed from scratch that would be so good and so small and have a low activation pressure and nice smooth 'feel' (similar to the HDS EDC switches) that everyone would want them in their lights. I challenge someone here to find or design such a switch. I don't think they would be expensive whatsoever either if produced in quantity. Think about your computer keyboard. While I realize these are a different very low volt sort of switch there are an average of 108 switches on a keyboard and you can buy new keyboards for $5.00 in some places and most places have at least some for under $10.00.
Now just to digress a bit to another idea for switches - referring back to ones like HDS and Eternalight use that are super thin. How many here have owned an Eternalight? Or HDS? The three switches on the Eternalight are rubber? covered and very soft activation but with a feedback click. Great! But these would probably not handle the current in some of our LED lights directly. SO!?? Add the control circuit to handle the power. Probably one super cheap IC chip and possibly a couple cents in supporting parts. Yes it's a bit more to design BUT if all this was designed into a thin switch componenet and designed to handle our typical 1.2v to 12v (or make ones for different voltages) and put into a small package that could be easily adapted to many different lights I would guess it would be extremely popular and sell very well.
I actually don't think we need to go with that idea and that a thin small switch can be found or designed that will handle our power requirements without any added control components. But either way I know it can be done. Geeezzz - think about it. The miniturization that has occurred in the last 20 years is astounding. You know the 2 Gigabyte USB flash drive you've got - that one the size of your little finger but thinner? How many of you know that has 2 billion transistors in it? Yes that is 2,000,000,000 - yes Billion! So how hard can it be to make a smaller and reliable switch that can handle a few watts? Ok - stepping down now from my fist pounding drama on the soapbox but I just feel we've been so focused on our lights, batteries and the material that holds them that we have turned our backs on the one little thing that turns them on and have come to accept marginal, cheap and half-baked solutions for getting our lights on. I think a lot of manufacturers choose to design their own switches because they too think it's not rocket science but end up with something that is less than great. I want great!!
Just one more thing - the thread that actually pushed me into finally starting this message thread was one about a momentary switch mentioned above. While reading that I remember that for a long time my most often used light on my bench/computer desk was a lowly $5.95 Walmart Dorcy triple AAA light because it had the easiest working switch to quickly get light on a subject. I find that very sad considering all the much better and high end lights I have.
So twisty fans fire away - manufacturers what do you think? I'd like to hear from anyone who has thoughts on this - good or bad.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
I'm surprised there has so far been no response to this.

For my part, I agree with you, although obviously in very small lights (Draco, CR2 Ion etc) a twistie is more practical and space-saving.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't really say, I have some lites with clicky (Z57) and twisty (L1, Inova X1) and have been reliable so far. Usage personal preference to Clicky though.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
DM51 said:
I'm surprised there has so far been no response to this.

For my part, I agree with you, although obviously in very small lights (Draco, CR2 Ion etc) a twistie is more practical and space-saving.
Yep - I was surprised somewhat although I might have gotten so longwinded that people just moved on before finishing my diatribe :)
I am actually envisioning a clicky that has a tiny button less than 1/8" in diameter and poking out above the tail 1/8" or less with a very short throw so it would even work on some of the tiny lights like the CR2 Ion.

DM51

Flashaholic
matrixshaman said:
I am actually envisioning a clicky that has a tiny button less than 1/8" in diameter and poking out above the tail 1/8" or less with a very short throw so it would even work on some of the tiny lights like the CR2 Ion.
That's a great idea, and I'm sure microswitch technology would make it possible to produce something that would be sufficiently robust despite such a small size.

I suppose it would depend on demand. And there would still be some very small / miniature lights, like the Draco, where you wouldn't want anything to add to the size at all.

alberto

Enlightened
You make some good arguments for clickies, but mostly theoretical. My real-life experience is that twisties are infinitely more reliable than clickies. Almost every problem I've ever hard with flashlights over many years of experience has been with a clickie switch, never a twistie. This includes lights from Surefire, Fenix, Dorcy, Mag, and a number of low-cost lights.

Having said the above, I actually prefer clickies but, for a light that I absolutely have to know will work when it's needed, I'll chose a twistie.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no reason, other than economic that a flashlight switch should not be as reliable as a light switch. I strongly suspect that the switches in my 50 plus year old house has the switches that were put in when it was built.
I also like the digital aspect of a switch. I've gone through a couple set of batterys with the twisty that used to sit in my car and I think it's caused by my not taking an extra twist or so after it goes off to make sure the spring is completely clear of the battery. These were 123's and the light was rarely used.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike Painter said:
There is no reason, other than economic that a flashlight switch should not be as reliable as a light switch. I strongly suspect that the switches in my 50 plus year old house has the switches that were put in when it was built.
Exactly - a good point and it is one of the reasons why I don't understand people saying clickies are not reliable. Well - actually I know that cheap light switches on flashlights are where that notion comes from. I think back to the first flashlights I had as a kid (that's a long time ago :) ) and the switches were very flaky. And even some of the current click switches made by the higher end manufacturers have left something to be desired. So I am trying to bring attention to this in hopes that a better ( and hopefully smaller ) switch will be made or found and put in use.

soffiler

Enlightened
Here's one manufacturer checking in with a few comments:

- switches aren't typically rated in watts; they are rated separately in amps and volts. The amperage capacity is related to the physical size and metallurgy of the switch contacts, whereas the voltage is related to how quickly and how far apart those contacts separate when the switch is opened.

- the vast majority of physically tiny switches available off-the-shelf are momentary contact only. This simply means there are no latching mechanisms to hold the contacts in open and closed positions. The latching mechanism of a "clicky" is, of course, where the click comes from in the first place.

- yes, indeed, a tiny momentary switch can be used to switch electronics which in turn switch the whole load. It doesn't add a lot of cost in componentry as was mentioned. A drawback is that some of the electronics end up powered constantly, as something has to be "awake" to watch for that momentary press to come in. This amounts to a shelf-life issue as the battery will be constantly draining by a tiny amount (could be measured in months to years).

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked here http://taskled.com/leds/nflex_uif.pdf.I am no expert on this end of electronics,but I believe something like this is what your looking for.I believe that Mr Bulk used these switches. Its my favorite switch and interface yet!:) I dont know why these are not widely used.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am relatively new to flashlights, but am quickly discovering what I do and do not like. I prefer head twist flashlights. I have large hands, with long fingers. I find that there really is no good way for me to hold a tail clicky flashlight. The head twisty, is a natural for one handed operation. I like the LOP SE, even though it is small, and I think that I'll like the Jetbeam C-LE, too. Now, I must get a Fenix P1.....

datiLED

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
matrixshaman said:
Sounds good. But the downside would be that something like this would be easy to turn on inadvertently.

shoe

Newly Enlightened
matrixshaman said:

GeorgePaul said:
Sounds good. But the downside would be that something like this would be easy to turn on inadvertently.

That's when you have a clickie with the twistie lockout. :lolsign:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
shoe said:
That's when you have a clickie with the twistie lockout. :lolsign:

And before anyone beats me to it. A (very small with no room for a button)detent that you must depress to release the twisty.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think about your computer keyboard. While I realize these are a different very low volt sort of switch there are an average of 108 switches on a keyboard and you can buy new keyboards for $5.00 in some places and most places have at least some for under $10.00.
Keyboards use capacitive switching -- there are no contacts, pressing a key down simply changes the spacing between paralell conductors, which changes the capacitance enough for the keyboard to interpret as a signal.

Using a capacitive switch to control a solid-state trasnsistor based switch could be extremely durable, as there are no contacts to wear down or break at all. Also, I don't think the battery drain issue is going to be that much of a problem -- the Photon Freedom uses transistors to turn the light off and on (as well as do things like click and hold for dimming etc), and if that doesn't have a problem with battery drain on tiny 2016 cells, there should be no reason a flashlight runnign high capacity rechargeables should have any problem at all. I would love for more of my regular sized flashlights to have the same functionality and durability.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm... I guess I'm just easy to please. As long as the switch is reliable, tight and consistant, I can live with it. I will say that I embrace multi level lights and if I were to design my own light, it would be pretty similar to the HDS switch. It's positive enough that it works for me 100% bare-handed or with gloves. What's not to like?

Push momentary/twist constants are OK as long as the design allows for a solid O-ring water barrier and the threads are far away enough from the O-ring that it isn't compromised prematurely.

Twist heads can be OK, but they are probably my least favorte... mostly because many of the lights that use them either 1. the threads are too loose and accidental activiation or 2. the threads are soo lose that focus changes if you grasp the head at all. Fenix L0P and Minimag would be two respective examples. I had a Lux-modded ARC AAA by LED_ASAP that I just put a crazy thick O-ring on so it would never inadvertantly come on. But that made it pretty tight and I suspect some women and kids wouldn't even be able to turn it on. My 8 year old daughter had a hard time with it.

Honestly, I used to prefer clickies but two of my most used lighs have momentary-only switches by design. (HDS and an NFlex-equipped 2C Mag).

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always prefered Twisties for the smaller AAA lights as it keeps the size down,
Clickies for the larger lights AA size and up

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
soffiler said:
yes, indeed, a tiny momentary switch can be used to switch electronics which in turn switch the whole load. It doesn't add a lot of cost in componentry as was mentioned. A drawback is that some of the electronics end up powered constantly, as something has to be "awake" to watch for that momentary press to come in. This amounts to a shelf-life issue as the battery will be constantly draining by a tiny amount (could be measured in months to years).

This issue can easily be overcome with proper design.

Quiescent current (current drawn by an inactive device) need not be more than a few microAmperes in a well-designed light.

For example, the HDS lights draw something like 4 microAmps when off, IIRC. Quiescent current of 10 microAmps or less is negligible - drain on batteries is so slight it would take years to discharge to 50% capacity. Even this very slight drain could be overcome with the addition of a Lock Out Tail Cap.

I agree with matrixshaman that few lights have switches that match the quality of their other components.

It is RIDICULOUS to design a high-priced, cutting-edge light with premium materials and expensive components, while handicapping it with an early 20th Century switch design!

If the designer avoids electronic switching and uses a purely mechanical switch, then the Quality and Reliability of the mechanical switch should be paramount!

Many manufacturers don't seem to understand how important this is and choose to economize on their switches, which ruins the long-term reliability of their lights.

cy

Flashaholic
hands down... twisties are more reliable.

have sold almost all my clickies... safer too